Visit with JohnFal in Viet Nam

this is a spot to post pics of your favorite mutt cause you know we all like to look at them.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

johnfal
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Visit with JohnFal in Viet Nam

Unread post by johnfal » September 28th, 2012, 1:51 am

The offroad A2 is being strengthened, The chassis is mostly being rebuilt with new metal as are the cross members and a lot of the body work. Hopefully the guy who is doing it is using a thicker gauge material for parts that will see the most stress. He is already aware that we have had a bumper pulled off and we have stressed to him the need to strengthen the front members. I haven't seen the jeep for two weeks because I never went whilst Clell was here but Juanle told me that he has stripped most of the original chassis from it.

I will see it tomorrow when I go. The rear end of the body is being modified to look like an A1C and the rear seat moved forward to give more storage space at the back. The rear seat will be modified to form the lid of a box that will span the width of the Jeep, the box will be used for storage and to keep things dry, the water would have to get up to near the top of the rear fenders before it can get in. The box will be removable, it will be slotted into an additional set of rear seat sockets on the sides on the rear fenders and held in place with a split pin. The bottom of the box will be held down with hood catches.

At the rear of the jeep where the original rear seat was located a cage will be installed to carry cables, ropes strops etc as well as spare fuel cans and any other tools that may be needed including the spare wheel however this may change. Again this will be removable located into the original rear seat sockets on the rear fenders and extending out the back of the jeep as far as the outer edge of the bumperettes and extending sideways as far as possible to sit on top of the rear bumperettes, most of the weight will be taken by the jeep floor. Again this will be held down by hood catches.

The roll cage will extend from the front at the windshield back to the antenna mounts, it will be supported vertically in the middle by one or two supports just behind the front seats this will also allow places for attaching items that need ready access from the front without having to dig in the rear, also it will allow open access to the inside of the jeep from the sides without any uprights getting in the way.

That's how I see it, however practicality of design may dictate otherwise. Now you can all go to town and tear my ideas apart. :D :D It does not hurt to dream as they say :lol: :lol: but here in Vietnam is the one place I believe I can pull it off. Watch this space.
AAC Harrogate Yorkshire, England 1963-66
641 Signals Troop, 3 JSC, NORTHAG, Belgium
14 Signals Regiment Worcester, England
NATO FSS Collafirth Hill. Shetland Isles
M606 Willy's/Mitsibushi - Cafe
Mitsubishi J4C - Offroad
M151A2 - Cafe
M151A2 - Sold
M151 A2 - Offroad
M151 A1 1969 - Cafe
M151 A1 1966 - rebuild
M151 A1 - rebuild