Hands off, don't lean, keep out signs when on display

this is a spot to post pics of your favorite mutt cause you know we all like to look at them.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hands off, don't lean, keep out signs when on display

Unread post by SEABEE62 » October 17th, 2014, 9:48 am

i see children looking at it with wide eyes...and I ask them if they would like to sit in it ...a great response follows...and Dad or Mon takes their pictures..... This is what its about... teaching those the history of these vehicles, and the men and women that served. :D Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

Lindsay36551
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread post by Lindsay36551 » November 6th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Mine uusualy shows up with just the right amount of dirt and mud on it!
This way it looks like it just came off patrol!
People that have clean clothes have atendency to lean rather than leanon! :D :D :D :D
1967 M-35-a2-D SOLD
1973 M151A2
M151 A1-SOLD
196? franken MUTT
M1oo trailer-sold
1963 M151-sold
1968 M416 trailer
1988 998 Humvee-4 man
1994 998 Humvee-up armored

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » November 7th, 2014, 10:19 am

I have always wanted to flip one on it's side at a public display. We do that a lot around here for service work on the East Wind trucks, I'll bet that would really blow folks minds as well as doing a very good job showing some of what makes the M151 so different.

Might be a fun thing to do with 6022 before we actually go filling up all of the gearboxes and of course the fuel tank.

Flyingvan911
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Flyingvan911 » November 11th, 2014, 11:40 am

I would have no objections to that. Hopefully the dash/cowl panel comes out soon so we can get it up and running.

Legio3Arty
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Legio3Arty » December 8th, 2014, 6:03 pm

I re-enact a number of time periods and I'm all about giving the public, especially children, a chance to interact with physical history. Even so, there are always those who just have to push the boundaries. A Civil War friend of mine looked up once to see some parents letting their young son use the barrel of his cannon as a teeter-totter. Before he could intervene, the kid had slid too far forward of the trunions and wound up dangling upside down from the muzzle with his little twig-n-berries hung up on the front blade-sight. A few awkward and surely painful stitches later, the kid and his parents were all a little wiser. :lol:
1967 M151A1
1967 M416 trailer
100AD Roman Mule Cart
1st ID Desert Storm Humvee Scout
M48/M60/M1 series Tanker, Armorer, Ground Surveilance Systems Operator,
Biomedical Equipment Technician

HILLBILLY-06
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » December 9th, 2014, 7:34 am

I visited a civil war camp out of town one day, it was unplanned and we had just seen the place driving by so we stopped to go check it out. It was a nice encampment, well thought out and well maintained, and had lots and lots of stuff on display, and people in period uniforms and other clothing. They also had plenty of blank firing demonstrations going on that day.
One of the Calvary soldiers decided to dismount near his tent, took off his pistol belt and sword and hung it up in his tent. Then he walked over to get some coffee off the fire pit and was eating a biscuit. I guess a small curious child who had wondered in there saw the pistol belt, and just had to take a look at stuff... "Scary thought" but what happened next would never be funny for any reason I don't expect, but the little boy did just like in cops and robbers, he cocked that smoke wagon's hammer back, pointed that big old thing at the tent wall and fired "what was later described as instant grits packed on a powder charge" at the back of that tent. That walker Dragoon hand cannon sent that little boy right out the front of that tent on his but and the Dragoon wound up smashing through the top of a glass display case full of memorabilia. "Scared the you know what out of everybody" (This is why we don't leave stuff laying around) was the comment of the day in that place. I was glad that no one got hurt, even just being a spectator, those kinds of issues are ones that get people in big trouble and obviously that guy had too much faith in his "hands off sign" posted on his tent.
"FAMOUS LAST WORDS".... "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS"

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » December 27th, 2014, 8:34 am

I've driven a few MVs in parades but can't say I've ever done a display with one :? . I've heard plenty of horror stories* from both the MV & antique car world to make me think twice before turning the public loose on my pride & joy. I did attend a local MV display a while back sans vehicle to chat with some friends. The guys there didn't seem to mind at all with letting the public climb all over their MVs. Not sure how I would feel about that.

I guess if I had an MV at a display (not that display) and someone came up and asked if they could sit in/ climb inside my MV, I'd most likely say "sure". Probably look at thier feet first to make sure they weren't wearing cleats :o :lol: Provided they asked first. I almost always grant permission but they have to ask. I think I may be asking too much of the American public though :roll: .

* There is a guy named Lee Bishop who posts over on the G503 site. He has some of the best WTF stories where MVs, displays and the American public are concerned.

Matt

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 27th, 2014, 9:35 am

Matt, do you remember the year we were talking next to the Huey at Aberdeen and the guy leaned on it and knocked off one of the rockets? I think that was you I was talking to that year when that happened.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 27th, 2014, 10:34 am

I had a friend wanting to borrow one of mine for the Christmas parade :roll: , sorry, I just couldn't do it, and mine aren't museum quality.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » December 27th, 2014, 11:47 am

rickf wrote:Matt, do you remember the year we were talking next to the Huey at Aberdeen and the guy leaned on it and knocked off one of the rockets? I think that was you I was talking to that year when that happened.
Yes that was me! I do remember the rocket pod falling off. Glad we were a short distance away from it (so's not to catch the blame for it :wink: )

Matt

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 27th, 2014, 1:30 pm

That's pretty much the right approach Matt. If you are not ready to have your stuff marched all over, then taking it to a public display is probably not the right thing to do. In all reality, the MV stuff is MUCH better suited to this sort of thing than other collector cars. I am quite certain that the generations of privates who had these before they got into our hands were not all the white glove types.

That said, lets talk about this.

Lets say you have a state where 1 in 1,000,000 of your citizens is a murderous psychopath. Is it right, in that instance to restrict everyone from access to firearms to make them "safe" from Mr 1/1,000,000? No clearly it is not. Some might stand up there at the podium, wave their hands in the air and condemn the "criminal element" and say that actions are necessary but in all reality we are looking excessively close at that ONE guy.

Now lets talk about "the public". How many of "the public" are the problem? 1 in 1000? 1 in 10,000? Is it right to sit here and condemn the entire population based on the actions of these few? Most of the people I see at public displays are genuinely interested and respectful of our stuff. To those people let us be genuine hosts. There are a tiny few that are dickbags to those SPECIFIC people, lets make sure that we are as completely uninviting as possible. I live in an inner city neighborhood, anyone who has worked here at my house has seen me go from happy go lucky Allan to gonna kill you with this bloodstained ax when some druggie starts wandering up the driveway chattering about something. That seems to get the message across just dandy. All the neighbors think I am a swell fella except for the few who have crossed me in the past, they tend to cross the street when walking past my house...

Now lets flip the coin again and look back at ourselves. How many of US are the sort of people that we would want to be around? At least locally, there are a few socially inept crabby old men involved in the hobby that make me more embarrassed to be associated with them than anything else.

THOSE guys I have a bigger problem with than even bratty 3 year olds with feral parents...

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 27th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Okaaay..................... You didn't happen to have one of those druggies in your driveway this morning did you? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 27th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Hey Aswayze, I think I'm a great "guy" to be around, don't you? I'll even buy you Chinese food at Findlay next show! :lol:
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 27th, 2014, 3:46 pm

"You didn't happen to have one of those druggies in your driveway this morning did you?"

Not yet, but my ever vigilant chihuahua is on the watch for them at all times.

I probably used too many words there and was typing too fast. Let me try that again with the Cliffs Notes version:

People OK.

Some people not OK.

Treat all people as OK until proven to be not OK.

Aggressively treat not OK people badly so they learn to stay away.

Be mindful of those in your midst and make certain that they too are OK lest you become one of the not OK people yourself.

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » December 30th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Aswayze: Methinks you might have a belt fed somewhere handy, and that you may need it!

I am going to start displaying mine next summer. I have a set of issue chock blocks that will be going along.
I watched my then 4 year old nephew get his grandmother's car out of park and roll across the yard a few years back. Left an impression.