Hands off, don't lean, keep out signs when on display

this is a spot to post pics of your favorite mutt cause you know we all like to look at them.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

TKledzik
Corporal
Corporal

Hands off, don't lean, keep out signs when on display

Unread post by TKledzik » September 11th, 2014, 10:02 pm

I've see a few great signs to remind the public to keep a distance when checking out a vehicle.

The latest entertaining one seen here on the forum is: Unless you're nude, do not lean on this vehicle.

Share your favorite sign verbiage please!

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Hands off, don't lean, keep out signs when on display

Unread post by Aswayze » September 12th, 2014, 12:07 am

I prefer to baffle people by letting them touch anything they want. I do own things that I do not want people to touch, I just do not publicly display them. If I am taking it out, it is there to be seen and looked at. Generations of privates couldn't break it, I doubt if the general public can.

The best event for this was a big display a few years back that I set up my mobile kitchen trailer at. That thing is VERY in depth and there is a ton of stuff to look at if you are interested in that sort of thing. In fact there were an quite a few folks who were and we spent a lot of time rummaging here and there looking at everything. One older grandma who was clearly not the least big amused to be having to go to a military vehicle show was floored when she saw the field kitchen. Hours later, grandpa and the kids finally got bored and left while grandma had ran off, bought a massive amount of supplies and set to work baking pies in the MKT (You can make a lot of pies in an MKT). She not only made great pies but also allowed us to put the entire system in operation making it a more interesting display.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 12th, 2014, 12:32 am

My favorite sign verbiage?

"Keep Back 100 Meters Or You Will Be Shot."

It was appropriate where I was….but probably wouldn't go over too well here…except maybe for Texas.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » September 12th, 2014, 5:52 am

I agree on no need for a sign. These things need to have patina. Over-restored and better looking than from the factory removes every soul of a jeep.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 12th, 2014, 6:41 am

I agree that people should be able to look and feel up to a point. I just happened to be walking past mine at Aberdeen one day when a father was about to load his kids on the hood for a picture! That sure as hell did not happen!!! I informed the gentleman that while these vehicles look like they will handle anything they DO bend and most guys do not want there vehicles bent. Then I lifted the hood and showed him just how this and fragile it really is. He agreed and apologized and all was good.

I didn't get into the Rainman modification with the individual cheek imprint on either side of a valve cover high point. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » September 12th, 2014, 9:15 am

i only used that sign occasionally, as i generally would be with the jeep to keep an eye on it. there were a few times though, when i found children turned loose on it, parents no where in sight, and switches and levers being thrown repeatedly, while the radios were being messed with and the vehicle used as some sort of jungle gym. you have to draw the line somewhere.

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » September 12th, 2014, 10:15 am

You want to sit in it? ok.
You want to go for a spin in it through the mud? ok.
You want to stand in it during the parade? ok.
You want to use it as a jungle gym for your ill behaved, unsupervised rug rats? Sure, where's your car so I can dance on it's hood and stick buggers on your windshield. :lol:
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

TKledzik
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by TKledzik » September 12th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Aswayze wrote:(You can make a lot of pies in an MKT).
I'm familiar with the MKT! Sadly there were no pies made in ours. That thing is a monstrosity of a contraption. That must of been a blast!

TKledzik
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by TKledzik » September 12th, 2014, 9:11 pm

I share the same sentiment of sharing the jeep with everyone... I also know that the level of respect WE share for these vehicles is not universal. And while I would expect to not be too far from my vehicle, there will be times that I would hope a simply reminder that this old metal soldier and the owner that spent countless hours working on it deserve a measure of respect.

Maybe an air horn mounted under the dash with a wireless remote is in order.... :wink:

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » September 12th, 2014, 10:32 pm

I carry props for pictures to be taken by any who want to sit stand or put their hands on the M-60. I park it in reverse gear and keep an eye on the on/off switch and the parking brake. I do prefer to be there during the interactive visits, but if I want people to stay out, I cinch up the passenger side strap bow string tight so I have to raise the seat to get it unsnapped. I then keep a steel pot sitting on the drivers seat and it works very well. I stand on the seats, so no kid's going to damage anything. I do prefer the cute ones in bikinis though :wink: .

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 12th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Get some of those wooden training rounds (artillery) and fix up a good looking rope line. It isn't perfect but it does send a message.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 13th, 2014, 7:48 am

Claymores work well too. Instead of the usual display with the mine just sitting there with no fuse be sure to add an electric fuse plus tripwire fuse. That will definitely get the attention af anyone who has ever served. Of coarse it may get the attention of the local law enforcement also. :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » September 13th, 2014, 11:11 am

whiterabbit wrote:You want to sit in it? ok.
You want to go for a spin in it through the mud? ok.
You want to stand in it during the parade? ok.
You want to use it as a jungle gym for your ill behaved, unsupervised rug rats? Sure, where's your car so I can dance on it's hood and stick buggers on your windshield. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Love it :!: :!: :!:
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 16th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Removed
Last edited by m3a1 on October 16th, 2014, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 16th, 2014, 9:24 pm

m3a1 wrote:Claymores work well too. Instead of the usual display with the mine just sitting there with no fuse be sure to add an electric fuse plus tripwire fuse. That will definitely get the attention af anyone who has ever served.
SHHHHHHH! Everyone will want one!