Unusual M416 data tag.

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unusual M416 data tag.

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 12th, 2014, 11:10 pm

I just brought home another M416. I looked it over pretty good before I actually made the deal. Or so I thought. Strangest thing I think I have ever seen from Uncle Sam. I didn't notice until I got it home and was tearing to down for the resto, the stamped delivery date is 06/69. Ok, I figure that in and of itself is normal, I have a few other M416's with similar delivery dates.

The problem. Stamped date of manufacture.........-6/96. I took me awhile to think about that before the light came on.

So, when I have a new data tag made (stamped) I think I want to replicate the old one exactly, and when I rivet it on, I will put the original one inside the tub (opposite of the new one using the same holes), and when anyone points it out as a mistake on my part, I can simply have them glance inside.

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Unusual M416 data tag.

Unread post by salt6 » August 13th, 2014, 12:46 am

cool find, and a good idea for the old tag.

One thing I did with mine was to stamp the ser # on the frame some where just in case.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us