Bantam T3-C trailer

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, Mr. Recovery, raymond, moose53

Bantam T3-C trailer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bantam T3-C trailer

Postby m3a1 » February 10th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Gents, I just traded some stuff for a rather tired Bantam T3-C. I wanted a trailer of this type and would have rather have lucked into a nice M416 but this is what came my way and the price was right. The original Fulton coupler is gone and it has a modified hitch attached to the original cast mount (that bit that joins to the tongue's A-frame). It is not done too badly and is certainly serviceable but it isn't the coupler I'm wanting on this trailer.

At the moment, I have a stripped out casting for an M416 which appears to be of a size and with bolt-holes placed in such a way that it might very well be capable of bolting right up without any modifications. The point is, I'd like to be able to tow it with a lunette but I have no suitable lunette eye for it at this time. Are these lunette eyes tough to find? Does anyone have any experience with this casting swap? If so, is it direct?

I don't have any plans to vismod this into an M100 but I do have to make some decisions as to the future of the tailgate which was FUBAR and was so objectionable that I've removed it entirely, stripped off the original angle iron frame so as to be able to straighten it. It's a mess.

The "wings" at the rear of the trailer are toast at the bottom and in my opinion would not be sufficient to keep the rear sidewalls where they belong even if repaired to original specs, simply because the trailer has seen so much use and abuse and is now somewhat jacked out of shape. The bottoms of those wings were rather scantily built. When everything was new and straight they could hold the sidewalls straight, but those wings are no longer capable of providing sufficient support to the sidewalls. The sidewalls have seen enough rough use that, at rest, the tailgate opening at the rear is fully 1" wider than the front. So, what to do about that without resorting to herculean efforts?

I'm considering building a strong angle iron frame; a "kit" that fits inside the opening of the back of the bed into which the refurbished tailgate (or its substitute) would fit. Bolted in, this would serve to draw the sidewalls up into their proper position and make no irreversible modification to the trailer.

Thoughts? (Yes! Pics are coming)

Cheers,
TJ
m3a1
Captain
Captain

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Re: Bantam T3-C trailer

Postby Haas » February 10th, 2018, 11:11 pm

Lunette eyes are reproduced, that I know. As far as the M416 casting fitting, I have no idea. You might be able to find a casting for a Willys MBT, Bantam T3 or T3-C, or an M100 fairly easily and those "should" all fit without problems. As far as repairing the back, again, I don't know. I have a T3, an M100, and a couple M416s and I know body panels (and even entire bodies) are available for them, so they may be available for the T3-C as well, or you may be able to use the reproduction military panels to repair the civilian body. Can't wait for pics!
1942 Willys MB "slat grille"
1943 Ford GPW
1953 M38A1
1952 M38A1
1951? M38
1st run M151
1953 M37
Ford G8T
2 Ford GTBs
Haas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby m3a1 » February 10th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Well, the truth is, I don't want to pour a bunch of money into this thing. I don't want to restore it or even make it attractive. I want to stop the rust, make it serviceable and use it, warts and all. Come the day one of the local jeep fanatics comes by and has to have it, I'll be looking to replace it with an M100 or a 416.

I've cut down a set of bows from my old M35 (sold that truck and kept the bows, thank heavens) and now, they fit the trailer perfectly so I'll be able to tarp it and keep most of the rain out.

Photos tomorrow.

Cheers,
TJ
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Postby Horst » February 11th, 2018, 4:01 am

I put the M416 casting on my MBT-like trailer (pulled by my M201). Apart from the fact that it apparently has the 2 receiver holes, it did fit right it, so you are good to go. I "think" it might have a slightly different angle for the A-frame but the difference is so small that it does not affect the usage.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 Pontiac GTO
1987 Suzuki Samurai
1987 911
1982 Ford E350 Cutaway Skoolie
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga
Horst
Colonel
Colonel

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby m3a1 » February 11th, 2018, 11:58 am

Ok, fellas, I'm going to stop right here and start again in the trailer section where this belongs. Many thanks for the input received thus far.
Cheers,
TJ
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Postby Horst » February 11th, 2018, 12:08 pm

have Rick move it for you
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 Pontiac GTO
1987 Suzuki Samurai
1987 911
1982 Ford E350 Cutaway Skoolie
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga
Horst
Colonel
Colonel

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Bantam T3-C trailer

Postby m3a1 » February 11th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Ok...I'm going to start this again. Not very organized today and struggling to get postimg to cooperate.

I just traded some stuff for a rather tired Bantam T3-C. I wanted a trailer of this type and would have rather have lucked into a nice M416 but this is what came my way and the price was right.

The tailgate was such a mess, with original hinges gone and some crazy hinge-arrangement welded on so that the tailgate was not only cockeyed but also would not lay flush with the rear of the trailer. I hated it so much I didn't even unload the Bantam from the trailer that I brought it home on. I just went straight to cutting that tailgate off.

Mission accomplished.

The original Fulton coupler is gone and it has a modified hitch attached to the original cast mount (that bit that joins to the tongue's A-frame). It is not done too badly and is certainly serviceable but it isn't the coupler I'm wanting on this trailer. At the moment, I have a stripped out casting for an M416 which appears to be of a size and with bolt-holes placed in such a way that it might very well be capable of bolting right up without any modifications. The point is, I'd like to be able to tow it with a lunette but I have no suitable lunette eye for it at this time so I'll have to hunt one of those down.

And so, we return to the issue of the tailgate. Here is the tailgate, with original framing. As you can see, some extra angle iron had been added and is now removed.

And there's all the usual use and abuse....

I cut down and modified some bows I had laying around. Perfect fit!

The floor pan has seen better days. As the ribs got hammered down, the width of the floor got wider. That extra metal had to go somewhere, so it went down. and yet, the floor is still very sturdy.

These are the "wings" whose purpose is to support the sidewalls at the rear. As you can see, the bottoms are shot and the sidewalls, though still stiff, really aren't kept to their true vertical position. Earlier versions of the civilian Bantam used a strut system to support the trailing ends of the sidewall. I hate this arrangement. It is unsightly and subject to further damage. I may excise the lower portions of the wings, making a cut that is parallel to the angle of the sidewall further up. Rebuilding it is really out of the question because the sidewalls are a bit jacked out of shape and even a nice original wing panel would not be of sufficient strength to support the sidewalls.

I don't have any plans to vismod this into an M100 but I do have to make some decisions as to the future of the tailgate which was totally FUBAR and was so objectionable that I've already removed it entirely and have stripped off the original angle iron frame so as to be able to straighten it. It's quite a mess. If I can get it so that it will reframe and be sufficiently flat so as to mate to the rear of the trailer I'll reuse it. I'd rather not start with a new plate, simply because that wouldn't have the same war-weary look as the rest of the trailer.

I'm considering building a strong angle iron frame; a "kit" that fits inside the opening of the back of the bed into which the refurbished tailgate (or its substitute) would fit. Bolted in, this would serve to draw the sidewalls up into their proper position and make no irreversible modification to the trailer.

One last look!

Cheers,
TJ
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Postby m3a1 » February 12th, 2018, 11:30 am

Here's what I look like after a full day of fun - cutting, grinding and cursing. Tired, happy and my beard all over the place.

As some of you probably already know, once you get the plasma cutter out and set up, you end up cutting a whole bunch of other things that didn't warrant all the set up. So, with the plasma cutter up and running, I went ahead an modified the base plate of my HMMWV machine-gun pedestal so that it would fit on the risers, to go into the MUTT. Now, if you are sucking air between your teeth and getting ready to hammer me for modding an expensive pedestal just let me say that what I cut down is simply a flat circular disk with a socket (little more than a cut piece of pipe of a specific size welded to it). No big deal.

While these pedestals aren't exactly a one-to-one swap for the MUTT, they will fit and they have a neat trick that the M4 system doesn't have and that is, they are sleeved so the MG can be raised (in case Saddam has aircraft about) just by pulling a pin, or it can be removed altogether to allow for canvas.

This is one of the things I have in mind for the rear of the trailer. An angle iron frame of sorts, custom fit to the opening at the rear but, I have some concerns.

First, I'm concerned that the bottom junction of the angle iron (where the sidewall and bed floor meet) will not be sufficiently strong to support the sidewalls and adding a gusset there would intrude upon the space of the cargo area in the worst possible way. I guess putting just the bottom and the verticals in and clamping it up would be the easiest way to find out.

Second, what to do with the taillight panel? I hate it and it looks horrible but, without it, the sidewall is nothing more than a single sheet of metal. Remember, the first idea was to keep this frame just as a bolt-up kit allowing the trailer to return to it's more original state if someone decided to go that way. I could keep the upper region of the taillight panel, cut a new hole and move the taillights up there (which would make a lot of sense). There, they would be out of the splash zone of the tires and reflectors don't even enter into the equation as I could use a composite lens (with built in reflector) or simply move the original style reflectors inboard to the tailgate panel.

If you have any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,
TJ
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Postby rickf » February 12th, 2018, 12:24 pm

You know, somewhere is a picture of me taken at work after plowing snow for many hours and it looks like we could be brothers!! Except I had hair. :twisted: :twisted: I need to find that picture and burn it!!!!!!!!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone
rickf
General
General

Postby m3a1 » February 12th, 2018, 5:51 pm

So, here is the result of a few hours of work and in the doing of it, I developed a new plan that is far better than that clunky frame I was thinking about..

The flange on the taillight panels is 5/8". I will attach 1/2" square steel tubing or square stock (which I think I will have a far easier time bending) on the inside of the flange, come straight down with it and turn in toward the outer face of the frame. Then I will lay in another piece of 1/2" square steel tubing up behind the diagonal cut and tie it into the vertical piece and, likely as not, the vertical face of the trailer body. That should provide all the support the sidewalls will require (now that the trailer has an owner who actually cares about it.) I also threw some paint on there just so I could get a better sense of how it all looked once I made the cuts.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on February 13th, 2018, 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Postby rickf » February 12th, 2018, 6:04 pm

I wanna see you get the deuce out. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
rickf
General
General

Postby m3a1 » February 12th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Believe me, if the need arises in an emergency setting, it will make it out....easily!
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Postby rickf » February 12th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Under those circumstances yes I guess it would. Then you would have all kinds of neat projects to work on.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
rickf
General
General

Postby m3a1 » February 13th, 2018, 1:14 am

Speaking of which, I have waited far too long getting that Jeep's front axle back together...and I have all the parts just waiting for me to get off my....
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Return to Trailers