416 Questions

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Bucolic
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

416 Questions

Unread post by Bucolic » March 14th, 2018, 10:32 pm

What was the last year the 416 was made? Did any 416 models come with "composite" tail lights? Or did they all use the same tail light as the M-151 and the M-151A1?
1964 M151 A1

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: 416 Questions

Unread post by muttguru » March 15th, 2018, 6:54 am

Bucolic wrote:What was the last year the 416 was made? Did any 416 models come with "composite" tail lights? Or did they all use the same tail light as the M-151 and the M-151A1?
The production of the M416-series came to an end in November 1979. At that time, the M416A1 was the version (the one with the hydraulic over-ride brake system).
The introduction of the composite tail-lights for M151s and trailers was 1970, although test vehicles were using the big lights a year or two earlier.
There was also a kit available to install composite lights onto pre-1970 M151s and units were permitted to update the M416 lights for safety reasons, although it doesn't appear to have been a command to do so.

ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: 416 Questions

Unread post by m3a1 » March 15th, 2018, 11:35 am

As a point of interest, just the other day I discovered that 416s were being manufactured in my home town in 1966, right under my very nose. The Johnson Furnace Company, 421 Monroe St. Bellevue, Ohio apparently had a contract. Not that I would have noticed it, as I was far too busy being a kid. I rode my Western Flyer bicycle past there a thousand times and never even noticed because, likely as not, they were being loaded straight onto railroad cars and whisked away. Even at a tender 7 years old, in a community the size of ours, if you had a bicycle the world was your oyster. Vietnam was going on whole-hog (as we would say back then) and for me, the war couldn't have seemed more distant...that is until my buddy's older brother came home in a box. What a horrible day. His mother came over and chewed my father out because he, being the local judge, didn't write up a deferment for the boy. My buddy's GI Joes got put away pretty quickly after that and it seemed we all grew up a little bit faster. Anyway, I think it would really be something to have one of those Bellevue-built trailers!