Which Trailer has dump capabilities??

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Which Trailer has dump capabilities??

Unread post by Motorcityman » June 21st, 2009, 11:07 pm

I thought it was the M101A1 but I havent found any referance to them being able to dump a load. I see all kinds of trailers on GL for sale all the time, I wouldn't mind picking one up if it dumps.

The ones that do dump, Do they dump hydraulically or is it manual with a lever of some sort? Thanks. Joe

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Which Trailer has dump capabilities??

Unread post by ida34 » June 23rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

The M101 does dump but it is not supposed too. The feature is a folding a frame to minimize size when shipping but if you take the bolts out and lock the brakes you can back up and it will essentially dump the trailer. I would not try it with anything too heavy as, like I have already said, it was not designed to dump. I hope this helps. I took the bolts out of mine and put in pins so I don't need a wrench to dump.
Last edited by ida34 on June 23rd, 2009, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » June 23rd, 2009, 8:46 pm

Hey MM,
I refer you to the picture here...
http://www.g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1110
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » June 24th, 2009, 1:47 am

Thanks Ida and Rainman for the replies, I was looking at picking one up for my landscaping business to haul cut up wood and in the spring and fall for leaf removal (vacuuming leaves into the M101A1) and using the dump feature to unload the leaves.

Do you think the frame could be strengthened to support heavier loads like leaves for dumping? I've never seen one of these up close but if its anything like my M416 then its built tuff. I see these trailers going for under 500 bucks all day on GL, It may be worth a shot.

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » June 24th, 2009, 5:17 pm

It is built pretty tuff and you could probably get by with wood and leaves without building it up. The part I would build up is the pivot point before the a frame. I had two face cords of hard wood in mine and it pulled it like a champ. I did not dump it though. If you were trying to haul gravel or dirt I would be more concerned. Landscaping stuff should be just fine. If you are close to Ann Arbor you can look at mine if you want.

Chuck

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » June 25th, 2009, 1:25 am

Chuck that would great, I'm about 45 mins from AA, I'll take you up on that in the next couple weeks, i'm always looking for excuses for a motorcycle ride. I was at Selfridge today picking up a machine I bought from the DRMO off of GL for my business. It's the second piece of equipment i've bought from them, got a beautiful exmark hydro walk behind from them last month. They had a few M105A2 trailers on the lot that I was checking out, man there big but I know they are 1.5 ton trailers, are the 3/4 ton M101A1's similar in size or much smaller? They also had about 10 or 12 dueces and a few 5 tons on the lot that looked decent. I started up one of the 5 tons and it purred like a kitten, I was impressed but man are they tight on the inside, but then again i'm a big boy at 6'4 300 :shock: I wouldn't mind picking up one of the dueces, that is if I can put power steering and a smaller steering wheel in it I wonder if that could be done. I know power steering is available but will a smaller wheel work? I'm not talking about mexican low rider steering wheels but not the big hoolahoop they got in them now..

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » June 25th, 2009, 11:13 am

If you do come by to check out the trailer you can check out my Deuce also. There is a guy hear in MI that has a lot of the air assist kits. These are what the military used to put power steering on them. He wants around $800 for them. I am pretty sure the 5 ton wheel will work on the Deuce and it is smaller due to the 5 tons having power steering. There have been a few folks that have put hydraulic power steering on the deuce but it is not a bolt on affair. The older 5 tons had multifuel engines like the deuce and you can take that pump and attach it to the deuce engine. It runs off the accessory drive for the injection pump. This part is bolt on but the steering box requires modifications and for the money I would just get the air assist kit. The M101 is roughly the same size as the M105 but the M101 is about a foot shorter. The newer M101 trailers that have 8 bolt wheels are a little longer than the older ones with the 5 bolt budd wheels. Mine is the older style. I also have a M105 trailer if you want to compare. I was looking at the M105s that just sold at Lansing but do not have the money right now. I want a second M105 for hauling but I only use the deuce to pull it. I had one M105 trailer I used to get a big load of pea gravel and it held up great but I would only do it with a deuce or bigger to pull it. The M105 trailer I have now I use for storage of items used for MV events. The M105 is about 3500 pound by itself and if loaded it needs to have working brakes to be legal. Anything over 3500 lbs in Michigan requires working brakes but I am sure you know that if you landscape.

Give me a PM when you think you might want to come out and I will see what I have going on. I am off on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and am doing project most weekends but if we work out a time in the morning or evening it would work best. I will PM you my information.

BTW if you want to check out or ask questions about the deuce's or five tons try http://www.steelsoldiers.com. I also had a five ton but sold it last fall. The are fun and the power steering makes it a one hand driving experience. I have to leave for work right now. I will PM later.