Trailer covers

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Trailer covers

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 14th, 2013, 12:53 pm

I see these things offered all the time and most of which are reproductions. So are these being produced by copying from an original or are the blueprints/drawings available? I guess this would be a question for the muttguru. BTW, the reason I ask is because we have a person who does canvas work for us and if I can get the blueprint/drawing I can see how much it would cost to reproduce.

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Trailer covers

Unread post by salt6 » February 14th, 2013, 1:54 pm

I got a canvas from a local farm store. Fit just fine and was on sell. 5 x 7 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Re: Trailer covers

Unread post by SEABEE62 » February 14th, 2013, 6:24 pm

I bought mine from a local Farm Supply store...and the rope to tie it with, for less than $30.00 . Looks the same too. Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » February 14th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Bought my M-416 cover at a Hallsville, Oh show some years back. The vendor had a few, but I picked this one because it had a kind of rubberizing on one side. Got it home and put it on my trailer and it was too big. Maybe not too too big, but it had overhang of 6" on either side and 8" front and back. It has all the reinforcements on the corners and for the grommets. When I decided to make a PVC frame to eliminate the ever present rain sag in the middle, I quickly learned to appreciate the extra length and width. With a standard size M-416 cover you can get away with a 2'X4" ridgepole to shed some water, but you'll need more canvas for a more functional trailer cover frame.

Have also purchased 2 of the the $100 repro type on ebay and they are cheap, and thrown together with no reinforcement for durability. I had a grommet pull out of one within the first few weeks of use. Think the other one was used as a cover for an old lawnmower that lost it's place in the garage. The canvas rotted away in about 2 years of exposure. With 2 151's and 4 trailers, something's gotta sit out and it's the 4 trailers and old mowers. :D
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » February 17th, 2013, 7:15 pm

I have 2 vinyl and one canvas; all original. The canvas is the only surplus canvas 416 cover that I know of in existence and it's in great shape. I couldn't beat the price either since it was a dumpster salvage. I have posted photos and a diagram of it here a couple time before. I'll try to find and link the old topic.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 18th, 2013, 10:17 am

Francis Marion wrote: I have posted photos and a diagram of it here a couple time before. I'll try to find and link the old topic.
Francis thanks for informing me that this topic was posted before. I did a search and found the info I needed.