Trailer Stencils

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Trailer Stencils

Unread post by Rainman » July 3rd, 2008, 12:53 pm

Hey all,

Before the M416 project went off the the blaster, I spent an hour or so hand sanding to locate additional military markings. I was rather surprised to see what was there. I found 5" stars, and 2" numbers that matched the 1" black stencils on the 3 color camo, but the fender stencils were the surprise. Not the usual "TP 25" I was expecting. Each fender is marked
"TIRE PRESSURE 22-25 PSI"

Image Image Image RainmanImage

There seems to be something between the word PRESSURE and the number 22, but I can't make out what it is. Anybody seen this style of stenciling before and have an idea what I'm missing in the translation? :?:

I'm waiting now to hear that is is blasted and primed, ready for pick up. Then a few hours tinning a few of the dents and pushes, and it's back to the paint booth for the top coat. Still in time I hope for Mid-Ohio. :)

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Trailer Stencils

Unread post by cstaup » July 3rd, 2008, 1:30 pm

Raindaddy, looks as though the wordier stencil was done after the initial tp 25. I've never seen a tire pressuere stencil that long
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » July 3rd, 2008, 2:43 pm

Hey cstaup,

You may be exactly correct. It does kinda look like maybe another "2" sitting there in the middle, though I might be more inclined to believe that originally it said "tire pressure 22-25" and later was changed to just the usual "TP25". What I'm seeing there may be both stencils under that 3 color camo paint. Either way, I'm glad to know it's not just me that finds the long version a bit odd. :shock: Had I not taken it already, I'd try to investigate a little more with a small microscope to see which came first the long or short version., but it's all gone and the blaster has removed the last traces of evidence. My call today told me that it's blasted and the primer will be done NLT Thursday. I've only had it 2 weeks and I'm already running behind schedule. :) I fear if I replace the long version of the stencil, I'll get comments like that A2 with the "For Driving On Rocks" hood stencil. There was only one layer of camo paint on the trailer, so my guess is that it was repainted last in 1975, but never had the composite light upgrade before it was released to Joe Public.

I'm working on the harness today and replaced the pigtail with one in better condition. Next to dig out a set of good old taillights and double check my pigtail transfer. I contacted Steve at Mid-West Parts and got the brake handle to replace my broken one. This one is NOS and has an angle top it as opposed to the original with a flat end on the mount. Good price and fast shipping. Close enough for Govt. work! :D

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » July 3rd, 2008, 8:04 pm

Dayum if'n I was on a schedule to do a restoration I would havin' several littlie tine hear attacks, and I'm only 41
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC