Pictoral sequence of Bantam - M416 vismod.

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Pictoral sequence of Bantam - M416 vismod.

Unread post by Aswayze » December 26th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Known locally as "The Bantam Menace" Stagg picked this one up for $175 at Findlay last spring and we have been slowly making a semi vismod M416 out of it. I figured I would copy/paste the rework of this one over here for you guys too:

Seen here atop another trailer loaded with more loot.

Here we are on the ground more or less hooked up to 6033.  Note that the ride height is a little off and there is not that much clearance to the fenders.  We'll need to fix that.  

We'll flip the axle over to the other side of the spring to get the ride height we need plus of course use the opportunity to replace these U bolts with some that have a bit more steel in them.  

Ball hitch is of course going to go since we have literally NOTHING that it can hook to.  We'll dig for a suitable lunette ring for it.  

Bed, it is pretty beat down and rusted.  Likely we will end up making a completely new floor for this one.  

Underside of the bed showing one of the reinforcement ribs that has come loose.  

Wheels are the same style as the WW2 jeeps.  Tires are ancient even by our standards.  

Lucky for us we still have some spare M151 wheels kicking around that can be repurposed...  

Pop!, off go the fenders, if we sell the Gaz we can throw them in so the rednecks can make fender flares out of them.

Boink, off go the sides.

That makes things a bit easier.

Now about that floor...

That's better...

And in no time at all, we are down to the frame.  Now the tedious part, cleaning this bit of it up and fixing all the bad bits in there.  

Did I mention we were going to change wheels?  Oh ya...  Not really since the center holes on the M151 rims do not clear the hub.  Likely we'll be modifying the 151 rims though, the bantam rims are a little rough...  Yes, it is rusted through the rim, yes you are looking at the tube in there...

____________________________________________________________________________________

Aug 2014

More progress on the Bantam Menace today:

After Curfman welded up the torn up rim, David took it to his work and put it in the robo sand blaster then I painted them up.  We finally got around to slapping on some tires today so we can actually get the thing back on it's wheels again at some point.  

Stagg cut off the old u-bolts and we got the axle removed then after a bit of prep...

Reinstalled it in the new flipped position.  Bearings and seals are already done although we do need to go get the specific socket needed to set the bearings then close it all up for good.  We'll likely cut the excess off the tops of the U-bolts obviously but aside from that, this part is now right as rain.  (or at least as good as it is going to get)

Now finally on it's own wheels rather than leaning against the side of the shop.  

Now it just needs some paint!  

No damn it!  paint on the trailer, not paint on the ground!  You know what they say, don't cry over spilled 34079 Forest Green.  

That's getting better!  

Temporary lunette ring added, landing gear extension added, latch pin manufactured for the landing leg and safety chains installed.  

Floor manufactured.  

In addition to the rolled parts on top, Stagg added ribs to the bottom.  

Prepping the frame.  

Sides set back up on top of the frame.  

Now just need to get the sides tied in, add the back end, then build some fenders and we're off to the races.  

________________________________________________________________________________________

Dec 2014

Been a few months, time to update everyone on the Bantam Menace.  

Stagg and Curfman stuck with this one pretty well.  The remaining bits of the body (sides and front) were prepped up and welded in place with new tabs along the bottom edges to tie in with the new floor.  A new back panel was built and tied in along with a top bead to match the rest of the trailer.  

Yesterday Stagg got the whole thing slobbered up good with truck bed liner (hides the icky better and makes a good durable coating)

Today I ran out for a while and rolled on a coat of Forest Green.   The hope is that over the Holiday weekends ahead we'll be able to steal Trucker or Z to do the pattern paint on it.   After that, just need to add in the electrics and lighting and then stencils/data plates and this guy is ready for the road.  

Pics:  

Merry Christmas!  

To: Stagg

Tail lights installed, one more step!  

Flipped it up on end today to work on the underside a bit.   I wanted to make sure that we got everything sealed up well and undercoated so that this monster will not instantly turn to dust on us.  At least this way, it will be truck bed liner coated dust...  

Will it fit upright in Allan's garage?  Survey says: Yes!  

Good thing Stagg bought plenty of truck bed liner...  

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Pictoral sequence of Bantam - M416 vismod.

Unread post by Horst » December 30th, 2014, 7:16 am

saving the Bantam and sell it for top dollars would have been my route. 416s you find all over the place
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 30th, 2014, 7:48 am

Perhaps where you are, around here they are hard to find where as the Bantams are not nor are they particularly treasured. This one was not just a rustly turd, it was also a rusty post war civilian turd so it was extra unbeloved.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 30th, 2014, 8:08 am

specifically these civy Bantams are worth something. And that is valid for the US as well. But first it is your trailer and second you killed it anyway already. It will never look like a real M416 so why all this work ?
Horst

1962 M201 and trailer

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 30th, 2014, 9:23 am

Don't worry, it was already well killed when we got it.

We build things that suit our needs, not really too worried about what everyone else needs. :) A "real" 416 costs too much $ to be worth fiddling with. This one is close enough and cost a lot less $$. We are not into this for the collecting, we wanted a little wagon to go gather firewood with out at East Wind and this guy will fit the bill perfectly.

Stagg
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Stagg » December 30th, 2014, 12:07 pm

I get ribbed all the time for "buying full sized plans for a trailer" instead of buying a actual trailer.

The PO had "planned to restore it" for 12 years, and have lovingly stored in under a tree. He finally broke down, lowered his price and let it go, but by then the damage was obviously done.
We have not been taking our normal plethora of pictures, but I calculated that restoring this trailer to be a correct Bantam TC-3 would cost somewhere between 700 and 900 dollars in parts. This is on top of the 180 that I paid for it, and not counting all the little things that we all know sneak in, and add up.

Would it have been worth it? In money, maybe, if I find the right buyer.
Was it worth my time AND money? Not right now.

I would have been no better then the previous guy, letting it rust away while waiting for the time to make it perfect. So I used the cheap/free parts we have laying around and pushed something together.

Now I have a functional trailer-thing. That is what I needed. Maybe someday I can sell it to a expedition-trailer builder who just wants to cut it up anyway.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 30th, 2014, 12:23 pm

hey, no reason to defend yourself. I said, it would have been my route, I just believe you have spend all the time in creating now a trailer which has no monetary value anymore because it is now neither a Bantam nor a M416. Of course it has the value of being a trailer which you can use for whatever you need it for...
Horst

1962 M201 and trailer

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 30th, 2014, 12:39 pm

No worries Horst, we are all into things for different reasons.

We wanted a "416" for a couple of reasons and frankly none of them had anything to do with collecting.

Chief among our needs is this:

East Wind runs in the late winter in the notoriously erratic weather of the Eastern Oklahoma hill country. With our primary source of tent heating being the pin oak forest around where we operate at, a small trailer that is nimble enough to both get into the forest and right up along the deadfall we are cutting and then maneuverable enough to back around behind the tents and get right up to the bins for unloading saves a lot of hassles. Our current system relies mostly on the M880 series trucks and while they are more capable than they look, they are anything but maneuverable with their lack of power steering. That means a lot of leg work to shuffle wood from place to place.

Hence, we need a little trailer. The TC-3 was a little trailer but it did not really pass the "at a glance" rule. WIth this vismod, it now does particularly if I can manage to shave the hubs down a bit on the lathe to allow us to put M151 wheels on it.

richard
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by richard » December 30th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Aswayze wrote:Perhaps where you are, around here they are hard to find where as the Bantams are not nor are they particularly treasured. This one was not just a rustly turd, it was also a rusty post war civilian turd so it was extra unbeloved.
Perhaps we should ship some from The Netherlands back to the USA? They still have M416 and M416A1 on stock.
http://www.g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5968#p50373
European Distributor for CMD Body Panels: http://www.M151BodyPanels.eu

1978 M151-A2
1978 M416-A1
1972 M561
1964 M35-A2 w/winch & shelter

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » January 3rd, 2015, 10:55 pm

Time for some paint!  

Trucker on one side painting

Me on the other side putting in the wiring harness.  

Wiring harness installed.  

Inside pattered in.  

Drains installed.  

Drains from the top side.  (obviously need to repaint those areas)

Side reflectors installed

Trucker thinks it is going just fabulous!

Curfman and I spent much of the day sorting things out in the shop and the getting scrap metal hauled today.   Much more space in here now!    A good solid day's work in preparation for the arrival of 6022!  

Even finally got around to modifying the little 2 wheeler into a tank hauler for the argon/CO2 tank.  

More pics to come as the project rolls along, Trucker should have the paint knocked out by tomorrow am.

Got a better looking lunette ring option figured out that will not only work for us but will allow rapid switch back to the ball hitch for when someone needs a little trailer but only has a ball hitch or of course later if we sell it to the jeeper types who would just saw off the lunette and put a ball hitch on anyhow.

LTDan
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by LTDan » January 4th, 2015, 9:43 am

A job well done, I say.

And a great feeling of satisfaction, I'd bet.
LTDan
Commanding Officer
Company A
95th Supply & Service Battalion (Direct Support)
VII Corps Support Commmand
1970-73
Fürth, Germany

Stagg
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Stagg » January 4th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Now we just have to figure out a good lunett hitch option.

Best case would obviously be a correct TC-3 or M100 lunett assembly. (Anybody want to trade a factory ball hitch version for a lunett?)

If that doesn't work we will have to make a good looking bolt on something-or-other, which also leaves the option of still converting back to original, and towing the trailer with a regular car/truck.

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » January 6th, 2015, 10:46 pm

More or less tied up.  At least it's out of the shop now.  

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » January 18th, 2015, 1:04 pm

We make great use of trailers around here for storage. This is not that practical to do with the Bantam Menace since it will just immediately fill full of leaves and walnuts.

We contrived that a slightly arched superstructure was needed to give the tarp enough form to withstand the natural tendency to load up with water, sag, then fill with leaves and walnuts.

A couple bucks at the hardware store set us right:

First we cut some slight arches out of pressure treated 2x4s. One each for the front, middle, and back

Next we screwed and glued a piece of 1/4 inch plywood across the arches.

Over top of this goes the tarp (this one just an el cheapo stand in for the moment)

The longer term plan (as in once it is warmer out) is to put a layer of fiberglass over the plywood to give it some measure of protection from the elements although in all reality, under a decent tarp, it should do fine. My soft top M105 trailer has had a sheet of bead board under it's cover for probably a decade and it is not the least bit bothered by it.

Also got our modular lunette ring installed.

Even finished up with the wiring. Here Stagg is figuring out how much of the M105 pig tail needs to be squirreled away under the trailer frame to get the length right.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 18th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Aswayze wrote:Image
More or less tied up.  At least it's out of the shop now.  
Is that a dog? We have squirrels here in NJ bigger than that! :roll: :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone