Common No. 1

discuss various tools and accessories for your mutts here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

CARNAC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Common No. 1

Unread post by CARNAC » October 12th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Guess I should start this off by stating this item is not planned as a "For Sale" but more for gee whiz information.

For several years I've been collecting the various parts and pieces of the S/E AUTO M-R OM CM 1, ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE,COMMON NO.1,LESS POWER. Originally bought this "set" when I purchased a bunch of "empty" tools and parts boxes from GL about 6 yeas ago.

Downloading the component list was easy. I used the one dated September 2010. These sets were updated with changes ever other year prior to 2010. In 2010 this set was declared obsolete and replaced by the Standard Automotive Tool Set (SATS). The original component listing from the military was only partially illustrated and for quite a few of the component tool sets lacked detailed sub-component listings. I spent months researching the components and obtaining photos. All this is captured in a spreadsheet. This part of the process I consider at 99% complete.

As for collecting the tools, based on my last count, there are 1,019 different NSN's that make up this set and actually more than that. Some of the NSN's are authorized in quantities over 1 so the overall total number of tools is higher and is probably closer to 1500 or more.

I am also coming to the end of the tool collection process. At this time I am 21 specific items known short:
-Eighteen are the 1" impact socket set and I have a firm deal working on that item.
-One item is a can of 'Breakthrough' parts cleaning liquid. This is a HAZMAT and the only fluid in the entire set. I am considering asking the manufacturer for a empty can.
-Next is a double open end wrench that I plan to buy once I find the wrench set. I want to ID which mfg set I have to buy their specific wrench. Multiple mfg provided this wrench set to the military. (Easy once I find the set)
-Last is one I can use some help on. It is an electrically operated air compressor 4310-01-598-4299 that is supposedly a Kipper S0157 model. There is virtually no info on line for this item and I only recall ever seeing five of them. If anyone knows where one is at, I'd like to know about it.

Two weeks ago the inventory phase began and that will progress somewhat slowly to validate mfg and model against AMDF NSN data of authorized suppliers and part numbers. Example, there are two screwdriver sets and four screwdrivers outside of a set. Just to FIND and validate these took about 5 hours. They're now in a marked ammo can and the spreadsheet marked with location and inventory date.

The inventory is on a delay until the end of the month. I'm on the road until then but my mission is collect all my 'crap' and try to bring it to one location. This will allow me to finish the inventory and pack the set up. Most of the set will be placed in ammo cans and/or placed in crates.

This is the most complete Common No 1 I've ever seen. In service these sets were always missing items. As it is now this set is most likely most complete Common No 1 in the world. The final destination will probably be a museum and hopefully it is the Smithsonian.
If you get VIN INFO then you are obligated to donate to help wounded warriors regain their mobility. Donate to

http://www.independencefund.org/#!track-chairs/c1qsz

rickf
General
General

Re: Common No. 1

Unread post by rickf » October 13th, 2015, 6:46 am

CARNAC, I have a question for you, do you think you will EVER have all of your "Crap" in one location? :lol: :twisted: Associated question, where do you plan to buy that warehouse? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

CARNAC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by CARNAC » October 13th, 2015, 9:44 am

Working it this week but off to a bad start due to weather. By the end of the week, I hope to have everything out of Maryland (except a wrecked M1009, a TPU tank, a TPU pump, a military used but commercial single axle trailer with a fabricated shelter on it). Those items will be scrapped or sold off cheap although I haven't posted an ad yet.

The central MD vicinity storage locker will be closed and the items moved to the GA Rally for sale. I have two and possibly a third DRASH tent being the big items in there but it's a 10x20 locker and it's stacked about 5' high and impossible to walk through. So I have quite a bit to dig through. Most of it has not seen the light of day in over 3 years.

MB-T trailer at parents will hopefully fit on top of crates or right side up and filled. Looked in the Garage last night and there's a lot of tools and misc stuff but not sure what Dad is still using and he's not here to ask. You can figure where that would go.

An item in NC. And then it is off to GA and oh my!! S-280 shelters , generator trailer, M720 dollies, a ISU-90, and bunch of other stuff. I think I am down to about a tractor trailer load outside of the trailers and shelters.

Then to LA, then into TX for two drops and one pickup and then off to El Paso.

Other than El Paso, I hope to only have only a small amount of stuff in MD and one consolidated location in GA.

Gonna keep downsizing until I'm no longer need all these squirreled away storage locations.
If you get VIN INFO then you are obligated to donate to help wounded warriors regain their mobility. Donate to

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 13th, 2015, 11:41 am

Now THAT is an addiction! :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

CARNAC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by CARNAC » October 31st, 2015, 12:01 pm

The vast majority 'stuff' is out of the storage areas. Overall the mission was a flop. Only two very minor storage points were closed up. I did succeed in getting all but one item of the common 1 to El Paso. The sole item that didn't make the trip was the vise which is still in GA.

I did over 5,000 miles on the trip, hit the GA Military Vehicle Rally which was a blast and came home.

Will have to start posting pics in the near future of each individual set and made the decision during the trip to begin working on a full up second set which will become known as the

Second Common OH! Christ!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 31st, 2015, 12:51 pm

Addictions, They are very hard to overcome! Green ones seem to be about the worst. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » October 31st, 2015, 1:22 pm

Did you ever talk to the guy with the AN/PSM 95. ?

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

CARNAC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by CARNAC » November 2nd, 2015, 5:12 pm

Yes and he was going to ask his son about it. Haven't heard back yet.

CARNAC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by CARNAC » November 23rd, 2015, 11:55 pm

Appears all my travels were for naught. The table maybe tilting to the right again and I'll have to move everything east! It's sure looking that way. Will begin moving stuff in December. Looks like I will be real close to Gilbert.

Common 1 is virtually complete. Air Compressor is the only item needed. I'm cleaning up some sets, meaning I am making sure the sets are same manufacturer so they are in the "as issued" condition. I know, this is a significant sign of OCD. A precise and detailed inventory is already well over 60% completed and packed into ammo cans and/or crates.