Circuit Breakers

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Circuit Breakers

Unread post by kmam » October 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Just wondering about the circuit breakers in the A2. Are they self-resetting? Any comments on reliability? Not sure if I should leave them alone or replace them with standard blade fuses.

As an aside I had a self-resetting circuit breaker in my Ferret. I stupidly drove off with the battery charger connected causing the cable to break and short circuit. That tripped the circuit breaker which then reset and tripped, which then reset and tripped , which then reset and tripped and so on causing damage to the voltage regulator and sparks which is not desirable when the electrics are adjacent to the fuel tank which is immediately behind the driver. I fixed it and replaced the circuit breaker with a manual reset version so the problem would not recur.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Re: Circuit Breakers

Unread post by rickf » October 8th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Yes they are self resetting and reliability is what you would expect from 40-60 year old breakers. I have not heard a lot of issues with them and have not had any failures myself but I have heard of one or two that have failed to reset or tripped for no reason. I think you might want to get a spare or two but replacing with fuses is an option. Just keep in mind that with all the problems you have had the first time it fails to start you will be thinking "is it that fuse?" The only thing the breakers cover is the dash which is the #27 circuit and the horn which is the #25 circuit. The lights have an internal breaker in the light switch and the ignition is not protected.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone