Hummer Cannibalization

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Hummer Cannibalization

Unread post by MUTT Vet » February 11th, 2009, 5:45 pm

All right, here is the craziest idea yet!

Need...help...can't...control myself! :shock: :)

I just came back from the DRMO on base and they have a hummer shell for sale for $225.

They put it on hold for me until i can get back with them tomorrow.

It doesn't have tires, seats, engine, or transmission. Everything else is in great condition.

Is it possible to take off the hubs from the hummer and attach them to an A2?

What about any of the other suspension components?

I know the horn will work because Bleddyn showed me how to do that.

But as we all know, i have a tendancy to drive my jeep a little harshly. I am very adept at suspension repairs. TNJ Murray can retire because of me I bet! :lol:

With stronger components from a hummer like hubs, wheel bearings, axles, drive shafts, and finally disc brakes i could really make the jeep fly!

I know there would have to be a lot of major modifications like cutting the drive shaft down and altering the axles.

For the price, it just got my creative juices flowing.

I need your guys help in keeping me from doing something too crazy or dangerous. :shock:
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

rickf
General
General

Re: Hummer Cannibalization

Unread post by rickf » February 11th, 2009, 7:18 pm

You just spent how many thousands on the driveline!? Now you want to reengineer it. You keep saying you want to keep it original then in the next post you contradict that. How in hell would you attach monster suspension parts to a sheet metal subframe?

I give up!

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » February 11th, 2009, 10:18 pm

I'd say go for it! It can be done and you're the guy to make it happen. After all if man can go to the Moon then why not a Mutt? If your suspension travel can handle re-entry then you should be fine. Just make sure to take extra O2 and a jar to urinate in while you're at the apex of your jump.
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

tokarev
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by tokarev » February 12th, 2009, 12:13 am

Build a Humvee based creation - Heck of alot easier. Start a humvee rebuild.

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » February 12th, 2009, 2:43 am

Is it going to look something like this :?: Image :lol:

or is it going to be a a full fledged Humvee with a Mutt's support.

I agree with tokarev & Rick. Dont spoil your Mutt coz its not gonna say 'Mutt suspension inside'. The eyes are gonna catch the humvee not a Mutt
For that price though, do pick up the shell. Don't miss it :!:
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 12th, 2009, 7:23 am

Pick up the Hummer and build yourself a rock buggy from that.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 12th, 2009, 8:56 am

Eric

I have seen rebuilt motors and transmissions for the Humvee for sale at a reasonable cost at one of the wholesale surplus distributors (Coleman's :?: ) If the chassis/suspension/body is pretty much intact, I wold definitely snap it up and hold it for a Humvee build. Even if you can't or don't want to do it now, hold it for when you can. You could probably even sell it for a good profit if, as you say, it is pretty much intact.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » February 12th, 2009, 9:35 am

rickf wrote:You just spent how many thousands on the driveline!? Now you want to reengineer it. You keep saying you want to keep it original then in the next post you contradict that. How in hell would you attach monster suspension parts to a sheet metal subframe?

I give up!
Rick
When i say i want to keep it original i am, and allways have been, talking about the outside look of it.

I'm not trying to piss people off; I don't know how i would attach monster suspension parts to the sheet metal subframe that's why i'm asking for advice.

Don't give up on me Rick. I look at what bleddyn has done and that's why i keep coming up with some of these crazy ideas.

With him out of the picture now, all my ideas that i used to get his help with, i have to turn to the 838.
mrdibbles wrote:I'd say go for it! It can be done and you're the guy to make it happen. After all if man can go to the Moon then why not a Mutt?

I'm pretty sure i sense some sarcasm Mr. D! :shock:

I don't know if it can be done at all, i'm just blowing out crazy and wild ideas, i need you guys to help bring me down to earth sometimes.

Sorry for all the headaches guys, i'll try to tone down the ideas.
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 12th, 2009, 10:58 am

Eric, I could go back through your posts and find the ones where you said you did not want to change the way it rides so therefor you did not want to change from stock. Since you brought it up, did you ever personally see the infamous M151 LC? I mean all together with power train and capable of doing 122 MPH? I have an open mind when it comes to modifications, I would prefer to see them on mutts that are already beyond restoration for one reason or another. BUT, you have to keep the limits of modification in mind. I designed, fabricated, built and raced many vehicles. There are limits to what you can do with a set starting point. Look at monster trucks, With spring suspension you were limited to what you could do. If you started with a blank piece of paper and designed a vehicle from the ground up using nothing but CAD and custom made parts you come up with the monster truck of today. You could not get here from there and that is what you are trying to do. You need to build yourself a box steel subframe, mount the body on that and work up and down from there. That is the only way you are going to get the functionality you are looking for.
I am not giving up but you just keep asking the same questions over and over until you get the answer you want to hear.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » February 12th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Is it getting hot in here or am I feeling it

Come on guys, it was just a wild idea that Eric wanted to check if it can materialize, right Eric?
Rick, you have insight, Eric listen to him.
Mutt on fellas, there's only a handfull left!
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » February 12th, 2009, 3:02 pm

sarmadq wrote:Come on guys, it was just a wild idea that Eric wanted to check if it can materialize, right Eric?
Rick, you have insight, Eric listen to him.
Of course it was a wild idea. I didn't think it could work in the first place that's why i was asking people who know alot more about this stuff than i do.

I always listen to Rick and i usually follow his advice too. And most of the time that i don't follow the advice i usually end up regretting it. If Rick and the other Master Mutters say it can't be done then I gotta go with that.

rickf wrote:Eric, I could go back through your posts and find the ones where you said you did not want to change the way it rides so therefor you did not want to change from stock.
I don't recall the posts where i said i didn't want to change the way it rides. If i did, then i must have been smoking something because whats the point of modification if i'm not trying to change something. That has been the whole purpose of my modifications, changing the way it rides, responds, and handles

What i don't want to change is the way it looks. I still want an old vet to be able to see it and know it's an A2.

That's why all the mods I've done haven't touched the body. Seats, grill, bumper, tools, jerry can, wipers, etc... are all stock and will stay that way.

I just want a happy middle ground between an old nastalgic jeep and a modern off road super jeep...it's gotta exist somewhere.

rickf wrote:Since you brought it up, did you ever personally see the infamous M151 LC? I mean all together with power train and capable of doing 122 MPH?
I did see the LC. I saw it when it was just a hollow tub and i saw it through alot of the stages in between.

I never got to ride in it but i did see it run. The engine ran smooth and it didn't sound like a weak little mutt engine.

With the gearing, I don't know if it could hit 122 or not but I'm sure it was faster than your typical Mutt.

rickf wrote:I am not giving up but you just keep asking the same questions over and over until you get the answer you want to hear.

How am i asking the same questions over and over again and waiting for the answers i want? There has been ALOT of things i wanted to do but because you and other people have said it wouldn't work I didn't go through with it.

When i do keep asking the same question over again, is because i get multiple answers or conflicting answers and i just need clarification.

I will keep on asking questions and getting the answers i want or don't want, but if it can't be done then i have to accept it.

I'm sure i'll have more crazy ideas in the future and i'll keep running them by the board...until i get thrown off the site.
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » February 12th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Don't let Rick's crankiness worry you Eric, you're in no danger of being thrown off the site. Ask all the questions you need to figure out what you want to do...(even the one's that make our hair stand on end) A lot of us on here are getting older, it does us good to get the blood pressure up now and again...lol

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » February 12th, 2009, 3:30 pm

The monster truck idea is the only one possible. Use an off road 4x4 frame and suspension, and mount an M151 body on top of it. Buddy of mine right now is doing a "48" Willys Overland body on top of a Jeep Liberty frame and engine. Been working on it for a year now and are down to making brackets for the engine compartment, dash board and heater vent modifications. It looks just like a "48" Overland on the outside and most of the inside except for the dash and addition of electric window controls on the arm rests. All body work was done with lead as well.
Hummer/M151 hybrid? What the heck...

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » February 12th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Rainman wrote:The monster truck idea is the only one possible. Use an off road 4x4 frame and suspension, and mount an M151 body on top of it.
I have an idea but in light of recent emotions i'll let Rick cool off before I throw my idea out there on modifying the existing unibody to be much stiffer and heavier. I actually got it by watching Bleddyn work on his LC.

And Rick, i will "listen" to whatever advice you give, and i won't ask the same question more than 4 or 5 times! :wink: :lol:

Nah Rick, your advice is to valuable to loose, so with your advice combined with everyone elses, i'll defer to the board.
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » February 12th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Get an old , cut tub and stretch it over the HMMWV. If you have the disposable cash. have a driveline shop make you a MUTT HMMWV Hybrid shaft, get the suspension to fit the geared hubs and knuckles, fit new or modify existing components (ball joint sockets, tierod end, etc.) then you might need to clear the wheel wells.....

Wait, I'm getting exhausted. It's allright Eric ...MuttVet Rules!
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC