Painting masks for camo pattern

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Painting masks for camo pattern

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 1st, 2020, 10:38 am

Without starting WWIII over the use of camo paint scheme on a MUTT, I am going to paint my tribute jeep in the MERDC summer pattern for a officer who served during the late 1970's and early 1980's. This will be the four color pattern prior to the NATO pattern with three colors. I have the paint color shades and codes and supply source as wel as a template for the pattern for the jeep and trailer. My question is, has anyone painted a camo scheme on their jeep and what process was used to pant the rounded "blob" shaped pattern without just freehanding them with a rattle can or small airbrush and dealing with the overspray.
I'm visualizing some sort of vinyl masks that would lay down smooth over rounded surfaces like hood and corners.

As an aside, I talked to someone who was familiar with current motor pool painting process at the motor pool level and they did not use any templates per say, but drove the vehicle to a marked area on the painting room floor and turned on a set of computer generated projectors that displayed the camo painting and markings onto the vehicle and they just went after it with the paint gun. Of course, these were much larger vehicles than jeeps and trailers. I may do the same with my laptop projector and display the images I have of the scheme onto the base painted jeep and trailer and outline the different shaded pattern.

Vinyl tape? Contact paper type templates? Oil board cut outs somehow laid down securely? Hmmmm….

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Painting masks for camo pattern

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » August 1st, 2020, 10:49 am

The old way was to use an overhead projector to project the pattern on the vehicle. Yes, there is a TM. I don't remember the number but it's Color and Markings of US Military Vehicles. You can use this manual (M151s are in it) to chalk or pencil the pattern before spraying. BTW, the fuzzy overspray was meant to be a part of the pattern to help diffuse the shaped corners outline and projections of the vehicle.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 1st, 2020, 12:33 pm

Makes perfect sense. But, don't we all want to paint our vehicles better than they ever did at the factory or motor pool? I also understand that all camo paints would be flat and not the semi gloss of the "conventional" vehicles to prevent reflections. So, perhaps I could come up with a compromise of a cardboard mask that would help us outline the pattern, but still allow a little bleed or spray to soften the sharp patterns. Would certainly save a lot of work.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 1st, 2020, 12:36 pm

I have a copy of the manual mentioned and I recall it mentioned using a brush to define the edges of the pattern and then air gun to fill in the area. A brush would give you pretty sharp edge, but then you'd have the brush marks to deal with. Hmmm....

m75
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by m75 » August 1st, 2020, 4:04 pm

The G838 site references (G838 Manuals, see above) has the camouflage Technical Bulletins listed and hyperlinked for download.

I recommend the TB 43-0147, December 1975, for the MERDC guidance.
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » August 1st, 2020, 5:33 pm

I think the black squiggles are #4 on the painting templates in the TM but don't apply the black last! Everyone wants to paint the black last! It should be applied as the 3rd or second color, I forget which but if you study the TM's patterns you will notice the black is "overlapped" by another color. I was a 44B back in the day and painting and doing bodywork was one of our tasks. A Spc5 showed me how to properly lay out the pattern and I didn't follow his directions, my weekend was shot repainting 6 trucks! Lastly when you draw the pattern onto your M151 there is an error in the pattern views in relation to the color numbers if I recall near the drivers side cowl???? Been awhile and I've bumped my head way too may times since then! :? Lastly motor pool allowed either spray or brushed on paint job.
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 2nd, 2020, 7:17 pm

Here's a public question for Whiterabbit.... My Gama Goat's original numbers are painted over entirely. No attempt to re-number, no stars...no nuthin. Full disclosure, this is a USMC vehicle (The Few, The Proud). What's the story with that? Being made ready for an in-theater deployment? Other?

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » August 3rd, 2020, 4:30 am

m3a1 wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 7:17 pm
Here's a public question for Whiterabbit.... My Gama Goat's original numbers are painted over entirely. No attempt to re-number, no stars...no nuthin. Full disclosure, this is a USMC vehicle (The Few, The Proud). What's the story with that? Being made ready for an in-theater deployment? Other?
You won't find any stars on a USMC vehicle...full stop.
When any vehicle is retired from service/sent to the DRMO, all markings such as registration numbers and unit markings are to be formally obliterated. See TM750-262-6-1 (June 1973) and DRMS 4160-14 (Sept 2002).
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 3rd, 2020, 1:24 pm

Muttguru comes through again! Thank you!

Husker
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Husker » August 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm

I did mine winter merdc with spray cans and it looks pretty good to me. Just had the TM open and tried to match the pattern as best I could.

I recently ordered all 4 colors from rapco to do it again and probably do my M35 as well
US Army Fort Belvoir

19XX M35 something. Sold......
1972 M151A2
1967 M416
On the hunt for an M1031

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 3rd, 2020, 2:48 pm

mutt and jeff wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 10:38 am
Without starting WWIII over the use of camo paint scheme on a MUTT, I am going to paint my tribute jeep in the MERDC summer pattern for a officer who served during the late 1970's and early 1980's. This will be the four color pattern prior to the NATO pattern with three colors. I have the paint color shades and codes and supply source as wel as a template for the pattern for the jeep and trailer. My question is, has anyone painted a camo scheme on their jeep and what process was used to pant the rounded "blob" shaped pattern without just freehanding them with a rattle can or small airbrush and dealing with the overspray.
I'm visualizing some sort of vinyl masks that would lay down smooth over rounded surfaces like hood and corners.

As an aside, I talked to someone who was familiar with current motor pool painting process at the motor pool level and they did not use any templates per say, but drove the vehicle to a marked area on the painting room floor and turned on a set of computer generated projectors that displayed the camo painting and markings onto the vehicle and they just went after it with the paint gun. Of course, these were much larger vehicles than jeeps and trailers. I may do the same with my laptop projector and display the images I have of the scheme onto the base painted jeep and trailer and outline the different shaded pattern.

Vinyl tape? Contact paper type templates? Oil board cut outs somehow laid down securely? Hmmmm….
I painted my A2 with this color scheme 4 or 5 months ago, I painted brown first, then green, then sand and finally black.
I did it with 4 pistols so I could correct any errors that remained in the drawing. The black color I did with a small (touch-up) pistol, an airbrush would also be worth it.
I printed the color scheme of the entire car on paper and also had many photos of a car that was very well painted. Photos of all the parts, I left them near each piece to be able to look at the photo at the right moment to go painting ... finally and for a longer duration I gave him 2 coats of matte varnish, but this is optional. I really liked how it turned out
I can send you the images I used
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 3rd, 2020, 5:29 pm

I'm pretty sure the MERDC scheme was a four color scheme, and the summer Verden pattern is Forst green, light green, black and sand. No dark brown which I think is in the later NATO camo scheme. So I need to look at the differences between the MERDC and the NATO patterns in addition to the different colors.
I would use flat paints rather than over spray with a matte finish. I have a source for the four colors in flat. I still researching how unit markings and registration numbers were applied with contrast colors. I understand the registration number was moved to the inside dash, so no hood numbers. But unit markings on the bumpers, I presume. I think no national identity markings (stars) but I'm leaning towards doing a subdued star on the rear quarter panels and the forward cowls.

SturmTyger380
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SturmTyger380 » August 4th, 2020, 1:04 pm

His scheme is:
Winter US & Europe-Verdant
Forest Green, Field Drab, Sand, and Black
(34079, 30118, 30277, 37038)

https://sites.google.com/site/merdccamo/home/merdcpic
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » August 4th, 2020, 4:35 pm

hi
below a good camo site
it is a modeling site sadly only german
http://www.panzerbaer.de/index.htm

george

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 4th, 2020, 4:49 pm

mutt and jeff wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 5:29 pm
I'm pretty sure the MERDC scheme was a four color scheme, and the summer Verden pattern is Forst green, light green, black and sand. No dark brown which I think is in the later NATO camo scheme. So I need to look at the differences between the MERDC and the NATO patterns in addition to the different colors.
I would use flat paints rather than over spray with a matte finish. I have a source for the four colors in flat. I still researching how unit markings and registration numbers were applied with contrast colors. I understand the registration number was moved to the inside dash, so no hood numbers. But unit markings on the bumpers, I presume. I think no national identity markings (stars) but I'm leaning towards doing a subdued star on the rear quarter panels and the forward cowls.
hello mutt and jeff, I think you are messing around a bit, the MERC scheme does have brown color, it is the winter landscapes scheme, I paste the link for you to see the ones there: http://panzerbaer.de/colours/a_relaunch /us_merdc-b.htm
Nato's scheme is 3 colors, not 4.

On the other hand, muttguru already tells you that there are no stars in these colors. You can wear them if you like more but it is not usual.
a greeting