04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » November 5th, 2020, 11:55 am

I mounted mine on my 'Helm of Irresponsibility'....
GettyImages-159392065.0.0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Well, the insanity continues here at the Beverly Hillbillies...

I've been unusually concerned about current events...which is all I'm going to say about THAT!
IMG_3827.jpeg
An as-yet unfinished project or two (...or many) ...because THERE'S JUST ONLY ONE OF ME AROUND THIS PLACE, DOGGONE IT!

And lately, it seems I can't even get a color right.
IMG_3777.jpeg
A half track that just won't play nice (or at all, for that matter)...owing to the matter of some stuck valves (not from damage but from lack of use...) :roll:
61309064257__F5D26998-4E2C-4CE4-95D4-70E215FE2D91.jpeg
And the ever present matter of cleaning up the messes, some of which have to be sorted out in order to make some badly needed room around here. Some stuff can only be stacked just so high....
XdNFN1O.jpg
And an insane kitten that engages in parkour because, well.... Why run on one floor when there's are always at least two perfectly good walls for that purpose? (even the dogs are annoyed because she'll run on them, too....literally) which is the darndest thing you've ever seen. Apparently gravity does not apply to this tiny creature.
IMG_2969.jpeg
Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 18th, 2020, 10:38 am

Had a little luck yesterday with the big reshuffle around here and it was proof of the old adage, A friend in need is a friend indeed.

A buddy of mine has been sorting out a GPW with a badly bent motor mount and doing it on a shoestring budget. Well, lucky him! Ol' TJ happened to have a slightly bent freebie frame from a CJ2A with lots of very nice pieces on it including some really stellar motor mounts which, while being slightly different than that of the WWII Jeep, are dimensionally the same. So he came up with his trailer and we loaded her up. Looks like he'll soon have that jeep back in business.

Meanwhile, I had about 40 gallons of concentrated evil laying about (which used to be diesel fuel) and we transferred it all into brand new Homer Buckets (with lids) from Home Depot and he took all of it with him. I'm pretty sure he'll use that stuff to burn stumps or some such thing.

Hey look, Ma! I made s'mores! S'more space that is! Huge relief to have that nasty fuel off my to-do list and I'm happy to have that frame out of here and see it go to some good purpose.

Cheers,
TJ

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » November 18th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Fill that empty space with green iron, and then, ask for forgiveness. :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 18th, 2020, 9:51 pm

DEVIL! GET THEE BEHIND ME!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 21st, 2020, 11:19 pm

Just got back from Johnson Space Center in Houston Texas. Amazing technology. Just simply amazing.

And we struggle with out MUTTs... wow.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 22nd, 2020, 8:09 am

And most of the stuff there is "old tech" now compared to what Space X is doing.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 29th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Well lads, it has been more than two weeks and by appearances, I may have taken the big reshuffle around here to it's inevitable conclusion....

Desiccant packets. ALL of this is because of desiccant packets. You know, those mysterious little packets you're not supposed to eat? Packets filled with even more mysterious beads...
gettyimages-1137265772-2048x2048.jpg
....beads, not BEANS! God Lord, man! Try to stay focused! Now where were we?

Packets filled with even more mysterious Beads that magically suck the moisture out of the air and keep it away from your precious stuff? Desiccant packets! Even the spelling is mysterious. Why two 'c's instead of two 's's? Nobody knows!

I am a notorious cheap skate and I am an extremely proficient Hunter-Gatherer and, having no evidence to the contrary I am also a serious pack rat. I will save a penny even if it will cost me a pound to do it. That means I never turn loose of a n y t h i n g. By way of example, yesterday I found an old HO train set in one of the farthest reaches of the garage; one that had a broken locomotive and a notably absent transformer. I vaguely recall I paid three bucks for it, not because I wanted the train, but because of the plastic box it came in. I also recall I was planning to toss the train and keep the box. But, because the train was, even in its present state of disrepair, almost a pleasant distraction it was kept and kept in the box. Yes, the very box that I bought for putting other stuff in. So, I couldn't use the box...because it was already filled with train stuff! :cry:

So naturally, after I re-discovered the train set, I had to buy another locomotive and transformer to make it useful again (which I did as cheaply as possible, complements of eBay). Ebay is a great place to get more stuff, by the way. I once bought a half track whilst killing time on eBay (no, REALLY...I did!) and look where it got me! Anyway, ten, fifteen or maybe even twenty years from now I might find the train set again and then, I may actually and happily play with it. Or, if I'm unhappily dead and gone, maybe it will serve to complicate the disposition of my estate for my heirs. But alive, or dead, I'm told that scale model railroading is worth the effort and I think that may actually have at least some truth to it, especially when it reveals other people's more sinister nature and thus makes otherwise sane people go batshirt crazy whilst fighting over Who Will Receive Dad's Old Train Set. I'm also a professional finless brown trout-stirrer and I like watching things go round and round (like scale model trains....or greedy people). It's really my thing.
IMG_2225.jpeg
But, to be perfectly honest about it, I'm not sure I'm any happier being a pack rat. Probably not. But, when at risk of being killed in a landslide of a lifetime of really cool stuff then, probably so. I think the answer to that important question really depends upon the quality of the stuff. By way of example, I strongly suspect being killed in a landslide of Swedish Bikini Team Memorabilia and actually suffocated until stone cold dead by a small mountain of actual Swedish Bikini Team bikinis (meaning those with an actual provenance) really might not be so bad. It would certainly look great on a death certificate, I can tell you that! Better than a document that reads, "Cause of death - La Rona." NO. Now, try this one on for size - "Cause of death - suffocation by ACTUAL Swedish Bikini Team bikinis." YEAH! Now you really have something! 8) Make my funeral Open Casket, boys and have me expertly laid out amongst my cause of death. Glorious!

In fact, I think this sort of thing would be a terrific way to go because such occurrences always make for legendary tales. These are the kind of tales that are told and retold over the annual gathering at the Thanksgiving Dinner table year after year, generation to generation; always regaled whilst the tattered remains of the holiday meal are being cleared away and the the little children gather 'round begging for someone to tell The Story and making the story teller the absolute schwerpunkt of attention whilst he (or she) is recounting the epic tale of Grandpa's demise, Swedish Style. And could it be that maybe THIS is the year Grandpa's Swedish Bikini Team Collection will be handed down to the next lucky person at Christmas? Couple that with the building anticipation of soon-to-be-served warm pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream for dessert and you could cut the pie (AND the anticipation) with a knife, brother! That's the closest we get to being immortal, gentlemen - having an epic death that is forever recounted at tribal gatherings.

But we are getting slightly off topic which is the matter of achieving efficient, high quality storage but, with just a touch of sloppiness to keep a happy balance whilst also providing a certain level of mortal peril. Alas, having your stuff neatly stored in bins that are cleverly designed to stack well certainly reduces the probability of land slides (which goes contrary to the matter of epic deaths) and theoretically, this sort of thing makes your stuff easier to find but it does little or nothing for your reputation after you croak. What we do in life echos throughout eternity and big risks yield big rewards...but only if you stack your stuff high enough. NO ONE wants an epitaph that reads "He Was Organized"... :roll:

To quote British Philosopher Arthur William Bertrand Russell: "Organized people are just too lazy to look for things." WOW! You said it, brother! (...and I'm betting our British cousins knew, sooner or later, I was going to row THEM aboard.) So, we may conclude that being too organized is an equally regrettable condition.
quote-organized-people-are-just-too-lazy-to-look-for-things-bertrand-russell-87-93-32.jpg
Despite finding a lot of junk that really should never have been kept, I did find some, nay, a LOT of cool stuff whilst conducting this purge, like scads of parts (some, downright expensive) that I had forgotten I had and other more mundane stuff, including the kitchen sink....literally. No, REALLY, I found a kitchen sink...AND a NIB insinkerator. I was saving the insinkerator to make my own Oklahoma margarita machine but it finally occurred to me that I despise margaritas...even ones purportedly made in Oklahoma or in Okie fashion. I have had a few VERY strange personal experiences involving alcohol...and that's all I'm going to say about that. Far better to be rid of the insinkerator (and the sink) and preserve at least some of my dignity while I can.

And how long have I had all this stuff? Well, I did a search on the internet to see if there was actually an accurate method of determining that very thing. The Scientific Method suggests that I cut the pile in half and count the rings. Sounds pretty easy but in reality... I found that I have about 37.2 gadgillion washers all in reclaimed spaghetti sauce jars (give or take a applied factor of 12 to the Nth power) but there were no actual rings so, there must exist a transformative equation that I've overlooked while researching the matter. So it's back to the drawing board or perhaps, we'll just skip it altogether.
ec6cb0ac8d722abfe4ba3bf1d0cc0845.jpg
Now comes the matter of donating the purged stuff to resale shops, which can be troublesome and counterproductive. Take it from me - It is far better to have someone else take your stuff and drop it off rather than running the risk coming home with more newer, or different, or simply 'mo bettah' stuff. And further, my tastes sometimes lean toward the, ahhhh how shall we say, eclectic. I loath the idea of having to explain my particular brand of stuff to the people working the intake dock behind the resale shops, or to having to convince some unwashed heathen why a Reverse-thread Metric Bearing Stretcher would be something that is easily resold. It just isn't really something I want to take time from my busy day to do. Better to have someone else deliver my treasures and simply shrug their shoulders when asked about the real value of having a Reverse-thread Metric Bearing Stretcher. In my humble opinion, everybody needs one of those and if some person with absolutely no soul decides to toss my ultra rare and donated Reverse-thread Metric Bearing Stretcher in the dumpster, well, I just don't want to know about it. Stuff like that keeps me awake at night.

As for counter-productivity...well, who hasn't divested themself of some Silly Little Thing only to find (not less than 72 hours later) that they wish they hadn't? That weird, sometimes unidentifiable item that gets binned and then suddenly you discover why you had held onto it. I don't care if it only cost a dime. Now I have to spend yet another dime to replace it...and that means lamely walking around the pumps at gas stations to find another dime. Again, it's just not an efficient use of my time! I know what you're going to say. I could stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign begging for another dime but, because I cleaned the garage I have already burnt all the old cardboard boxes I had. I'm not going to waste one of my perfectly good cardboard boxes (the ones worth saving) for one thin dime. I'm just not gonna do that. Better to keep the Silly Little Thing on hand rather than go begging for charity. Hmmm. This reminds me, I may need to buy another plastic bin to store my good cardboard boxes.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Mud Dauber Wasps, while rather harmless, are NOT our friends. Last week I carried buckets of old nests out of my garage. I have enough to start a vaguely entertaining roadside museum. Remember back in the day when road trips where interrupted for gasoline (not 'fuel', but GASOLINE!) and for 25 cents a head, the kids would get to see deadly, wild animals in cages or snakes and tarantulas in aquariums, all kept hidden from view by some ramshackle enclosure behind the gas stations? That's certainly one way to keep the family from spending time discussing the rather questionable sanitation issues found only in gas station bathrooms. Yeah. Like that 4-foot long loop of hand towel was really gonna be germ free. Where washing your hands in the badly stained sink with the paper thin bar of soap was more likely to transmit germs ONTO you, rather than OFF. Where some peawit had always taken a broken spark plug and scratched "I LOVE (insert your favorite tart's name here)" on the tiny mirror on the towel's housing.... and God only knows what sort bodily fluids had made their way onto that towel. But, I digress as we are not here to make potty jokes. Roadside attractions always keeps 'em coming back, no matter how bad the bathrooms are.

So, after everybody climbs back in the station wagon and Dad tears out of there like he was leaving the pits at the Indianapolis 500, instead of having to listen to how little Timmy blew his nose on the hand towel (the one almost certainly contaminated with The Plague) instead you'd hear, "OOH, Mommy...they had a little black bear!" -or- "OOH, Daddy...they had a rattle snake!" -or, perhaps even this- OOH, can we stop there on the way back? They had a collection of Mud Dauber nests!" MUD DAUBER NESTS?!! My friends, trust me....they'll talk about those Mud Dauber nests for years...far longer than some stupid bears or snakes or spiders with fangs. If you doubt this, allow me a moment to explain. Death by bears, venomous snakes and toothy spiders are really rather known quantities and thus, are
B O R I N G.
One instinctively knows exactly how it ends with one of those creatures. But show the kids Mud Dauber nests and that really conjures the imagination. Walking through a roadside museum of Mud Dauber nests is rather like the Away Team from the Nostromo walking through an ancient space craft chockablock full xenomorph alien eggs. It gets ya thinking.... A LOT.... 'cause ANYTHING might claw its way out of those nests at any moment! :shock:
Alien-Egg-Chamber-John-Hurt.jpg
Back to the garage. How exactly does one find Mud Dauber nests? Well, you install some really awesome LED 'fluorescent' lighting (which comes on automatically and thus, attracts far fewer bugs). With that done, I found that I could finally see some of the darker regions of the garage. Nightmarish stuff, really. Spider webs with small mountains of dead bugs beneath them and Mud Dauber nests galore. With the mud nests removed, the garage now looks like someone had a paintball battle in there, using mud, rather than paint. So the lighting is better, but the place looks worse. Oh well. This is what happens when we go mucking about and upset the natural order of things. :|

So, in order to stack your stuff higher, buy sturdy plastic bins and Ziploc freezer bags which are the good kind. Avoid anything off-brand when it comes to the little bags. Buy these items in bulk and when they are on sale. You can use the money you save to buy more stuff. These are your best friends if you are stockpiling parts, or toenail clippings, broken train sets, belly-button lint, or whatever it is you collect that needs to be kept for posterity. Put the stuff and the desiccant bag in the Ziploc bag and put the Ziploc bags in the bins. If you're a Big League Storer, perhaps you even went out and bought those bags that allow you to remove the air from the bag with a vacuum cleaner. Thank you NASA..or whoever thought these up! Label the bins in some way or you will find the only thing you have achieved is adding an extra step to looking for your stuff...that being having to paw through a hundred bins that all look exactly the same.

All of this brings us straight back to desiccant bags. Free desiccant bags are better than store bought desiccant bags....and not simply because they are 'free'...but rather, because they save you money! Saved money means....(you got it!)....YOU CAN BUY MORE STUFF!

So, haunt the footwear section of Academy Stores. Go during a footwear sale when shopping is an 'every man for himself' proposition. Pretend you are shopping for shoes. Casually gather up all the discarded (I call them "free range") desiccant packets off the floor that you can find. Do not bring a rake as it will only call attention to you and it is not kosher if you are actually going into the shoe boxes for the packets. When you have enough, ask the first minion you see if you can have them but be sure to tell them you picked them up off the floor. Otherwise, that's called 'stealing'. I guarantee their eyes will roll straight back into their head and they will always say yes, just to be away from you and your desiccated weirdness. But, if you believe somehow your dignity is being called into question, fear not! Keep in mind that you actually did them a favor by helping them clean up the place. Fair Trade for Fair Value. One hand washes the other.

Yes, I know you can buy them on eBay and elsewhere but the hunting and the gathering is the stuff of high adventure. You're actually honing your skills and in doing so, vastly increasing your chances for maintaining a high quality of life after the apocalypse and saving money in the process and if you have been paying attention (say it with me) Saved money means being able to buy more stuff!!!

Hunter-Gatherer Badge awarded!

Think of it this way.. If you saved $12 hunting (and gathering) desiccant packets which is the average cost for them on eBay) $12 divided by 4 is...$3. A set of Mutt spark plugs are what? $25 a piece? Far too rich for my blood. Well, if you saved $12 by hunting and gathering, a set of Mutt spark plugs now actually costs you only $22 a piece. Better than $25 a piece.

So, you'll need those little desiccant packets and bins and Ziploc bags (acquired on sale) to properly store the stuff you will buy because you got stuff for free or on sale and didn't spend too much elsewhere so you were able to get more stuff that needed to be properly stored... Whew!

...and that logic, Dear Reader, is inevitable.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on December 2nd, 2020, 7:04 pm, edited 12 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I am starting to worry about you! You need to go back to work!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 30th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Get BACK to work?!! I HAVE been working!... just not on the things I should be working on.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 8th, 2020, 1:46 pm

There's always something going on at the Beverly Hillbillies and I must say, it's beginning to look a LOT like Christmas!

The other night we all hopped in the car and went to Alamo Draft House and watched A Christmas Story at the theater. I am significantly older than my wife and my kids still marvel at the fact that I was born in the 50s; a time that must seem so distant in their imaginations. Of course I only spent a month and five days in the 50s so it's really not like I have any memory of it but still....I was there....ummm....THEN.

Whatever.

Because of my 'advanced years', nobody but me had seen A Christmas Story as it was meant to be seen; in glorious technicolor and on the big screen.. 30 feet tall and 65 feet wide! Well, we got that box checked in fine style. Including our group of four, there were six people in the theater. Talk about your social distancing! There is one thing to be said for La Rona....it makes going to the movies better. Stretch out and put your feet up. As a bonus, the theater provided gift packs created from little Santa hats will with goodies including some really rather fabulous Ralphie glasses...
IMG_4043.jpeg
(is that Scut Farkus, standing behind me?)

and a convenient, bite-sized bar of Lifebuoy soap (just in case someone was really dumb enough to try it) along with some other holiday trinkets.

Several days later, several boxes showed up at our house marked his Side Up and FRAGILE. OOH! Fra-gee-lay! So, down came the antique lamp that normally graces our living room and up went.....

You guessed it!
62906883239__FA2F835A-E205-4D1C-961A-B63F9E8D4F49.jpeg
There will be no escaping the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the front window THIS year, I can tell you that!

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 8th, 2020, 6:47 pm

December 1983 we were all watching Christmas story at my place and the lamp came up for discussion. It was the first time we all had seen it and by we I mean the group I used to hang with and our girlfriends since none of us were married. My girlfriend disappeared and a little while later came back in the room and propped a leg on the coffee table in fishnet stocking and wearing nothing much else but a bikini and said how is this for an award? Now you have to picture this girl was 6 feet tall and in excellent shape, We lived to hike so no fat. Lot of leg!!!!! Buddy of mine spit his beer out as he got slapped in the head by his girl for looking. I definitely took notice, as a matter of fact I never did see the end of the movie that night. :lol: :lol: That same guy that got slapped will still remind me of that night to this day if I see him around this time of year. Funny, he is still with the same girl.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 13th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Oh boy! OH BOY! What a day!

Began the day with getting that old safe open and did it with my fancy new Harbor Freight Hydraulic Equipment Kit (Item 60407). It had been sitting on the shelf for like...forever. Used it to help manipulate the mechanical linkage in order to retract the bolts which were totally rusty. Then used it again to finesse the doors to open. Worked like a charm. Then, since it was finally out of the box, I took it over to the rubrails on my gooseneck in an attempt to push them back out. No dice. That trailer is built like a tank. But the safe....she's actually OPEN!...which is to say one could walk straight through it now. Victory #1.
IMG_4125.jpeg
I was on a roll, so I decorated the yard sale Christmas Tree (formerly a 'Halloween Tree') which is still on the front porch. You'll have to look at it closely but I'm sure most of you will get the gist. Victory #2.
62958047855__CBE2A5F2-8EEB-4BAD-ADF7-5337BC6EF961.jpeg
Then I invited my chum for a little ride in the Gama Goat and off we went to Home Depot. Once there, I parked in the cheap seats. When I got back out, a guy with an exceptional mid-70s Ford Highboy decided to park right next to the Goat. Enthusiasts of old iron flock together. Once we got inside and began shopping we met this handsome young fella; a Belgian Malinois puppy just OOZING with up-an-at-em! Look at that face! Look at those ears! That doggie is Switched ON!
IMG_4127.jpeg
And what a beautiful autumn day! Light breeze, leaves falling everywhere, temperature just a tad on the cool side. A pastoral scene completely soiled by a screamin' Jimmy and old dudes riding a Goat. Heck, we even took her out on the interstate, pedal to the metal. As always, smiles and waves all around, especially as we were being passed (which was a LOT). Victory #3. But EVERY ride in the Goat is a pleasure amounting to victory.

Woo HOO!

Wrapped up Victory #4 this evening by commissioning a second sign for displaying the Gama Goat titled, M561 IN ACTION; a small collection of six images that I felt did fairly well in representing the abilities of the Gama Goat and four victories makes for a home run, folks!
thumbnail.jpg
There's always something going on at the Beverly HIllbillies!

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 18th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Went out with a buddy who was searching for kind of an odd ball item and by happy chance, we ended up at a surplus store. Lucked into this nice, clever little trunk. It is meant to remain vertical, has handles on both sides and opens to reveal something like 64 plastic trays which fit so closely in a metal framework that items like nuts and bolts and similarly sized things cannot migrate out of them no matter how badly the trunk might be upended. 1/4" fasteners keep it very securely closed during transit. I'm guessing there's a bit more to keeping it secure than just the two bolts I supplied but they seem to do the job nicely. I don't think this trunk is terribly old but, being constructed of wood and metal, it has a very nice old school vibe to it. Price? Well, it was a no-argument price. They dang near gave it away. Lucky me!
IMG_4185.jpeg
IMG_4186.jpeg
There's always something going on at the Beverly Hillbillies!

Cheers,
TJ