This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

New here and seeking advice

Unread post by 09FordRanger » September 1st, 2021, 9:32 am

Hi folks.

Just got a 66 MUTT and looking at my plan of attack for the Winter so I can drive in Spring. I'd greatly appreciate any advice and thoughts on what I am charting.

First off, truth in advertising - other than riding around in one for about 6 years back in the 70's and 80's I know nothing about the inner workings of a MUTT (learning). I do know something about mechanics and have had several old cars that I have worked on - just not MUTT's. Willy's, etc. Of course, one of the reasons I bought a MUTT (in addition to reliving my youth) is their basic simplicity.

In terms of condition, it looks to me like my MUTT was rebuilt a ways back, driven for a while and then sat for many years. Body in good shape so not much to worry about there (at this point). Mechanically: runs but rough, drive train is loud and I suspect the rear differential may be shot. Several fluid leaks.

Anyway, here's my thinking on what I need to do:
Get MUTT up on jack stands
Replace all tires (tubes included)
Drain all fluids, degrease underneath, eventually refill fluids as appropriate
Replace any and all undercarriage U-joint, rings, etc
Complete lub job per the LO
Complete tune up

All pretty basic stuff however, this is a MUTT not a Fairlane so several things not normal (24V, mil spec parts, etc.).

Technical advice I figured I can ask for and get here but such things as parts have me stumped. For example, I went to check on the condition of my plugs and low and behold some kind of mil plug that is connected to the plug wire. And what passes for a distributor?!? OK where do I find a replacement for that set up?? I doubt auto zone has them in stock!

Today I would like to put it up on jack stands - is it safe to jack it up by the differential? That is the suggestion from some posts.

Also I am hunting new NDCC tires. I can get a set from Amazon for $170 a tire, Sound like a reasonable price?

Thanks for any thoughts.

These are the kinds of things I will be asking help on. I ask your indulgence.

rickf
General
General

Re: New here and seeking advice

Unread post by rickf » September 1st, 2021, 9:54 am

Welcome to the OD green addiction. Looks like you already have a pretty good plan of attack. If you go to the top of any section here you will see in the top bar Resource list and G838 Manuals. Most of what you need will be in those two areas. The resource list will have just about all of the places you will need to look at for parts. I will have to admit I have been lax in keeping up with the times and some of those places in that list are no longer in business. After the Gilbert show in three weeks things will start to slow down and cool off and I hope to start catching up on things with the site. Speaking of the Gilbert show, where are you located? Shows are a good place to find things you need.
And for tires, look at Summitracing.com. They usually have good prices and they used to have free shipping.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by 09FordRanger » September 1st, 2021, 10:01 am

Thanks Rick. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » September 1st, 2021, 10:33 am

Be careful where you place the jackstands as there is no real "frame" so to speak. It is a uni-body and what you see as the "frame" is not all that thick of metal. Of course you could use some pieces of wood to spread the load.

As for replacing all the u-joints, I would only replace the ones that are non serviceable. In another thread about grease, Rick pointed out that they are getting harder and more expensive to come by.

Don't count the rear differential out just yet. The differentials are mounted directly to the uni-body with no vibration dampening. And the rear floor board is just above the rear differential. The vibration is transmitted directly to the rear floor board where it acts like a speaker and converts the vibration into sound. A piece of heavy matting goes a long way to muffling this.

Where are you located :?:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 1st, 2021, 9:14 pm

I'd also suggest pulling fuel tank to inspect floor underneath. Clean, paint if necessary. Same goes for tool box and under the batteries. Replace rubber fuel lines, inspect all steel lines. Check the brake pads and think about replacing brake hoses and wheel cylinders as well. You can buy civi wheel cylinders and brake hoses from the dealers.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by 09FordRanger » September 2nd, 2021, 6:19 pm

Excellent advice. I will add all of those to my 'winter work' list.