Transmission reverse gear grind

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: Transmission reverse gear grind

Unread post by rickf » July 5th, 2023, 1:34 pm

If you really want to look at the disc before taking it apart you can take off the lower cover, either have someone hold the clutch to the floor or wedge it there with a board between the seat and pedal. Vehicle in neutral and tires chocked, not running. then you can go underneath and with a pair of leather or stout gloves you should be able to turn the disc and see if it is oils or swollen. You will not have a lot of room between the flywheel and pressure plate but you will see if it is not dry and straight.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Cav Trooper » July 5th, 2023, 7:23 pm

Thanks Rick. Should I have the flywheel resurfaced or buy a new one? Are all Mutt flywheels the same? Anything special about pull the pack other than grunt work? I have a 2 ton engine hoist and all the regular tools, pullers etc.
Thanks
CT

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Cav Trooper » July 5th, 2023, 8:04 pm

As soon and the weather breaks, I'll get under it and check the clutch. It's in the 90's here and the docs don't want me out in that heat and humidity with my heart. I'm psyching myself to get this done. It's really irritating to fight the grinding and worrying about destroying the trans.
Thanks,
CT

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » July 5th, 2023, 11:46 pm

As I have just pulled the power pack I felt that I could make some observations. The pack came out fairly easily. I spent a few days 3-4 hours per day to disconnect every thing. The actual removal with the hoist only took about 15 minutes with a strong helper.
Things to watch.
1) Remove the grill altogether. Place it far away from the work site so it does not fall and break the lights.
2) I had a tough time removing the clutch linkage and I am not sure that I have two brass bearings for the clutch.
3) On my jeep, the front mounter mounts were worn out and they were through bolted with a nut on the bottom. Most every thing else can be reached from above.
4) I put my front tires up on ramps so I could have enough room to roll a creeper under the engine. When I pulled the motor, I had to put the tires on the ground in order for the power pack to come out.
5) After the fact, I bought a balance bar so I could tip the power pack to get it in easier.
6) As most backyard mechanics, I did not label all the nuts and bolts as I took them out. While I used tupperware containers, I am sure I will have lost a few. I tried to put the bolt back in the part as I took it out but a few times the part containers fell to the ground and I am sure some still rolled out side. (see Brass bearings.)

There are two types of clutch disks. Puck style and full fiber type, The puck style grabs to flywheel quickly and tightly. It does not want to slip as much.
I think you should replace "like kinds Old vs New". That way you do not have to learn new muscle memories.

You have to look around for gear oil. The proper one may be reportedly found at "Tractor Supply". Autozone does not carry straight 90 weight. NAPA may have it but if they do not have any quarts on hand/ mine wanted me to buy a case of quarts or a 5 gallon pail.

Hope this helps. I will be installing my power pack Sunday July 16 and will post an after action report.

Any nice comments are welcome.

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Cav Trooper » July 6th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Thank you

m38inmaine
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by m38inmaine » July 16th, 2023, 8:22 pm

NAPA sells the correct transmission gear lube, the brand is STA_LUBE and will have yellow writing, GL-4 yellow metal safe, any regular gear oil can be used in the differentials, no yellow metal in there.
12B
Combat Engineer

FoxMike
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by FoxMike » July 16th, 2023, 9:30 pm

RedLight, thanks for typing up the power pack pull notes. It's always great to have something to study before diving into a project.
I did just get some of that Sta-Lube from NAPA. It was around $46 for the big jug.
M151A2 AMG
1952 M38A1 sold

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » July 17th, 2023, 6:21 am

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Cav Trooper » August 19th, 2023, 5:30 pm

Well, the trans reverse gear grind is now a mute point. Last week I started having 3rd gear downshift issues with it popping out of gear on a down shift using engine brake. It does not pop out upon acceleration and if I literally put my hand on the shift lever, it will stay in. I've ordered a rebuilt trans and will replace trans, fywheel, bearings, pressure plate and clutch. That should solve everything. Trans not here yet to when the temp drops some, I'll get to it.
Thanks for the input.