CARC

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Markcos
Private First Class
Private First Class

CARC

Unread post by Markcos » April 11th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Hows every one , who in the USA has real CARC for sale ????? :?: 383 / forest green / olive drab / tan .
a real source for this would be good, nothing looks as good , and i am running out . :) :)

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: CARC

Unread post by Rainman » April 12th, 2009, 12:39 am

Hey Markcos,

Not sure it's available due to health hazards, at least to the civilian market. In 383 shade paint color, Gillespie has it and it's available via Rapco. If your looking for true Chemical Agent Resistant Coating, I'm without a clue. :?:
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » April 12th, 2009, 1:58 am

I have heard the you can get carc from Alpha Heaven. The link is below:

http://www.alfaheaven.com/

I just shot some carc last week. The problems with CARC come when it is burned, sanded, or ground on. Spraying CARC does not present any more of a heath hazard than any other modern urethane paint. Always use a respirator. That being said, CARC is available from Shermin Williams Industrial Paint stores. I get mine from the Detroit Store. Some stores will not sell to a private person. I have a business and bought mine for my business. Some stores have you fill out a non export statement. If you want to see how it came out check out my thread on replacing my CUCV floor on Steel Soldiers.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/30144 ... m1009.html

Also, I have a thread with CARC instructions.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bod ... forms.html

One other thing. There is more than one type of CARC. I am not talking about colors. There are two solvent based types. One is a two part system with the paint and activator. The other is what I used. This is a single component that basically cures by drawing moisture from the air. Once exposed to the air it starts to cure. When using less then a full can you can pump argon in to create a moisture barrier to keep the paint from curing. If you do not do this the paint will still set up inside the closed can. The last type is what most of the military is using right now and it is more environmentally friendly. Some people say it is actually easier to use. It is a water borne CARC. This stuff has a part A and Part B that must be mixed. Deionized water is used as a reducer and water is used for clean up of your equipment. You must have a spray gun that is water borne friendly.

I hope this helps. It can be confusing with all the different types out there.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 15th, 2009, 6:22 pm

Wow, I haven't been to the SS site for quite a while. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops before I could do anything. Anybody who has not been on there for a while might want to go over and update their profile.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » April 15th, 2009, 11:10 pm

There was a server and software change a couple of months ago. There are some things that you have to do if you were on the old system and have not yet been on the new system. There is a sticky with the information.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 16th, 2009, 6:47 pm

I got in, no big deal. They changed a lot of things.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone