Rear Diff Needed

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Re: Rear Diff Needed

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 13th, 2009, 10:04 am

I serviced the diff and it will work good for sometime, so signs of real trauma, but i do plan to replace it as soon as possible.

And talking about not heavy come on Rick! 75 pounds don't sound much to you, i know you are a big guy, but i'm just a small kid who can't kill a bug with my bare hands and knee deep into a situation kicking me in the nuts every now and then. :lol: :wink:

Speaking of getting kicked in the nuts, the popemobile front wheels are like smiling at me when i see them from the front, castor angle is way out, but when i jack it up, it all comes back to normal, so i guess part alignment, part busted ends and ball joints, right?
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 13th, 2009, 11:58 am

You can't see caster angle with the bare eye and it is also a front back measurement so if you could see it it would be from the side. You are probably talking about camber. That is the tires leaning in or out at the top as seen from the front. It sounds like you are saying the tires are leaning out which is positive camber. Did you reinstall the shims between the lower control arm and the mount? The camber will tend to go to the negative at full suspension travel. It should be straight at rest though.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 14th, 2009, 8:00 am

Yup, its the camber :oops:
I didn't install the shims.
Well i think after replacing the ball joints and the tie rod ends the camber would come back to normal.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 14th, 2009, 8:14 am

You have to have those shims in there. Otherwise you will never get the alignment right.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 14th, 2009, 8:31 am

I am not really sure, will investigate.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 14th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Rick,
Can't seem to find any shims, what do they look like?
Also, after swapping the diffs the "jet" like noise/squealing is still there.
Does that mean this diff is also bad on in the inside or should there be something else?
Plus the gears in the gearbox grind too.

Any ideas what should i do.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 14th, 2009, 6:37 pm

I woulds suggest selling your guns! You should be about ready to kill someone by now! I am going to guess that these rears were both run without oil at some time in their lives. I don't really have any suggestions besides rebuilding them or look for some take outs. If you find any check the magnet on the drain plug to see if there is substantial metal on it. A little fuzz is alright. The trans is probably grinding going into third gear? Most likely a worn syncronizer or it could be a bent shift fork.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 14th, 2009, 7:33 pm

About the gearbox, the gears grind in all gears 1-4+R, when accelerating i can't hear them grin, when i lift my foot of the accelerator, the gears grind quite alot, plus i noticed when the vehicle is moving and in gear i press the clutch, the gears grind slightly with the clutch pressed and the vehicle moving. So i think to save the hassle, i will just get the other gearbox fitted and hope it turns out OK.

Both the diffs busted is going to be a problem, T/O are not sold, though my dealer has found one NOS diff sitting in the Army Depot in Kharian, he is currently working out a deal to smuggle it out. :wink: If he comes up with it, will discard the one on front, put the rear one in front, and put the NOS one in the rear, that should eliminate the grinding, will just have to live with the squealing for a while.

I just wonder what a fxxxxxg waste! the Army owns it for 26 years, and not one fxxxxxg thing is in working order!
$4000 for nothing, can't even get a decent ride out of it.

Also adding to the already numerous problems, the exhaust manifold cracked today making the engine sound like a fire cracker. The only good thing about it is, the other engine has one.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 14th, 2009, 8:01 pm

I hate to say this but now you know why they got rid of it. They ran it into the ground and when it was not worth repairing they got rid of it. The gear box noise sounds like a mainshaft bearing. That is not really a big deal to repair and the bearing should be available in civvie form. You will just need the number from the old one. I think that is a one piece bearing and not separate rollers. It has been a long time since I had mine apart. I am sorry to see you having all of these problems. Whenever I get an old vehicle I go through everything before I drive it. These rears would be a problem in that respect since there is no cover to pull off to inspect the innards. Can't you buy parts from some of the European dealers or is there a political issue with doing that? Or maybe just to damn expensive.

I respect your resolve to keep this mutt original, there are probably not many who would go through the money and aggravation!

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 15th, 2009, 11:24 am

The bearing for the main shaft on which side is it exactly front or back?
Finding the bearing is not a problem, getting it replaced is.
Buying from European Dealers is very expensive, tried one and they sell a ball joint for 60 Euros + Shipping + Insurance, that goes up to 80-90 Euros, and also there is a political aspect to it, sending parts to a kid in pak for his military vehicle in these times is not anyone would want to get into, you know what i mean, though i can find basic maintenance parts here, the problem is finding the bigger and primary parts, like diffs, shafts, gears etc, and buying from abroad just is just too expensive,

Look keeping the Mutt original is not an easy job, but can be done, my obligation is why doesn't the Army take care of their equipment, i've been going north and south on business and mutt part trips, and every time i see a convoy, there are always 5-6 vehicles out of commision on the side of the road, i saw 3 LR Defender 130's sitting on the side of the road, hood up, and two men in the hood, working their magic, and the best part they are all brand new, inducted in the army last year. I really don't know what they do with their vehicles that they break down before ending their first year.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » May 15th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Sherwan

All M151s have gearboxes and differentials that whine. The rear differential always whines because it is bolted directly to the jeep without any rubber cushions. The question is how much gear noise is too much. They also grind a little bit when going into 3rd gear, even with new gears and synchronizers. Something about 3rd gear I guess.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 16th, 2009, 9:20 am

Raymond,

The differential whines quite a bit, but i can live with that, since it doesn't grind.
Every gearbox makes noise, but grinding is the issue here....
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)