This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Battery Cut-Off Switch - Installed

Unread post by mrdibbles » December 29th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Hey Guys-
I wanted to share a new anti-theft, anti-battery drain, switch I installed during the Christmas holiday. I have a very slow parasitic drain in my electrical system that after 4 or 5 days drains the batteries down so low the A2 won't start.

This install has proven to prevent the drain until I isolate the problem. It will also help when leaving the A2 unattended by preventing a crook from starting it or a kid from flicking a switch on inadvertently (and putting a load on the batteries that way).

This swtich was bought through JC Whitney and came with two removeable plastic keys which engage and disengage the switch.

Along with this switch I also purchased a Battery Upgrade Kit, new Battery Wires, and new Terminals through Saturn Surplus. My Battery Box is now nice and tidy... minus the issue I mentioned above. I'll find that problem in time :wink:

Also... I saw this neat Swtich on eBay and although I am not going this route I thought it would make for a nice addition too (theft deterence).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MILITARY ... enameZWDVW

Regards,
Matt-
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 29th, 2007, 7:23 pm

Mr.D

I had the same switch and in the same place. Passengers kept kicking it and turning it off. Finally someone kicked it hard enough to break the switch. I moved it to someplace else.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » December 29th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Yep. I got that tip from you but the purchase had already been made. I will do my best to caution my passengers. I couldn't install into the tool compartment due to my installation of lap belts. The lap belt retractor, which impeded the easy opening of the compartment, was the reason I opted to push ahead with this install.

Wirthco, the company that makes this switch, makes a similar "more rugged" version so if I have trouble I can opt to switch it out for the all metal version. Live and learn I guess. 90+% of the time I drive alone so this likely won't be a problem for a while.
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

Jetnoise400
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Jetnoise400 » January 2nd, 2008, 1:25 pm

How about bending up a bit of flat stock steel (painted OD of course) to make a sort of "anti-kick" guard over the top of it. With enough room to still reach the key. I have a similar setup on the floor of my crash truck protecting the fuel tank selector valve handle (it's original to the truck).
Sean Nichols
MVCC
MVPA #24983
--------------------
'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck (under restoration)
'71 M151A2
'85 M1038

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » January 3rd, 2008, 2:50 am

Mr D
first pics I've seen of the inside of your 151. Was the inside spray job incomplete? Looks like a thin coat and rusty in the crevices and cracks or perhaps that's primer that was missed.
Always easy to nit-pic and I know mine isn't even close, but the outside of yours is so pristine, I just wondered.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

bogoble
Private First Class
Private First Class

switch

Unread post by bogoble » January 15th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Could we have a picture of the battery wiring setup? I have a switch like that on my '14 model t and works great but would like to se how you tied it all in, battery wise. :D
NRA Patron
1942 MB
M151A2
1914 Model T Ford

Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.
Patton

SV2IPW
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by SV2IPW » January 15th, 2008, 3:36 pm

I think that this kind of swich is anti-theft only if instaled in the storage box, because Robber is easy to energize the swich if he push in the swich hole with a pencil .
With this kind of vehicles i think we must take a lot of security measures, like.
Electric cut of swich-anti battery drain
Distribiteur removable power cable
Fuel cut off swich
Loker on the gas tank
Loker on the transfer case
Simple key swich on the dash panel,for short time vehicle park
M-SERIES LOVER
M151A2 American Motors General 1977
(Hurricane L-142, 2320cc)
keep them rolling
T-99 16650

(O)IIII(O)
KEEP THEM ROLLING

Miltrans
Private First Class
Private First Class

Different types of locks and anti-theft devices

Unread post by Miltrans » January 17th, 2008, 7:01 am

The battery cut-off swich shown is also installed on my vehicles. Usually conected to the gorund connection. When placed in the tool compartment, the lid can then be locked, together with the seat by using a padlock. This way, also the battery cover can not be removed so as to access the swich terminals and thus by-pass the swich. This means of anti-theft devise is approved by the insurance company and authorities in DK.
I usually also use a "Crook Hook" lock (steel bar that connects steering wheel and clutch pedal ) to visably show that the vehicle is locked.
I have a USMC M151A2 that has had fitted a device fitted to be able to lock the gearshift. It must be original, as the vehicle came straight from storage - nice one with only 44 miles on the meter!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » January 27th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Had this switch installed in my "Junk Jeep" when I bought it. It worked well, and I had no problems with it, but I took it out recently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam