Ages old star debate

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Ages old star debate

Unread post by Spike » February 7th, 2008, 11:38 am

For years I have heard that the hood star is supposed to go here or there and the point is suppose to face this way or that way.
The general consensus is that the star point faces the windshield and that it is placed on the cab-side of the footman loop (for the windshield hold-down strap.) This is an Army 151, the photo is Viet Nam 1969 REMF. Note the star location. Also note the "...son" on the grill. I wonder if it was someones name, like Nelson or Wilson.

I had a tranny go out three or four years ago. I found an old guy near Fort Lewis Washington that had a NOS one for $400. so, I drove to the coast to pick it up. This guy had some amazing stuff. We hit it off and I spent half a day there looking at stuff and listening to his stories. In the back was a stack of hoods from trucks from the 20's, 30's and 40's. it was about half and half as to which direction the star pointed.

With a USMC mutt I don't have to worry about it. :wink:
As iron sharpens iron ...

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » February 7th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Officially, in accordance with the manuals for marking military vehicles, the Army vehicles were supposed to have the star pointing at the radiator or front of the vehicle, positioned so that if you folded the windshield down the star was still visible. The jeep in your photo has it exactly right for an army jeep.

Air force vehicles have the star pointing the other way, toward the windshield.

In actual service, very often the star was applied whatever way looked right to the motor pool guys assigned to paint or stick them on, and you can find variations in all the services.

I guess the military has given up on it altogether now since we no longer put them on the vehicles at all, other than the 3" star centered on the front bumper and tailgate.

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » February 7th, 2008, 1:41 pm

That's a good explanation, Moose. Where do you think the most correct location is for the star is on the hood? I personally think that it looks better on the windshield-side of the footman loop.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 7th, 2008, 2:46 pm

If you order your star and number kit from Rick Larsen, the directions will say the star points to the windshield. I wish I had known better when I applied mine or I would have put it on with the star point facing forward and forward of the footman loop as per the official regs.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » February 7th, 2008, 4:45 pm

With the windshield down you're going to be able to see the from an aerial view. When it's located like the one in photo.

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » February 7th, 2008, 6:40 pm

the photo you posted Spike is exactly how the regulation says to do it. The star is the correct size and pointing in the correct direction, and located on the hood, in accordance with the army regulation. That being said, it was probably the most ignored regulation they had lol . The air force went the other way. I think the air force way (pointing at the windshield) looks best. Raymond, apparently Rick Larsen thinks it looks better that way too...lol I have copies of the regs, but if you look at pics from the early mutt days, you will see stars just about any way you can imagine them. Mine will be done for the late 80's when our mutts were being phased out...3" black star centered on front bumper, and right above pintle hook on rear..

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » February 7th, 2008, 10:23 pm

That 151 in the picture is so GI it's not funny!

Even the driver looks stracked!
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....