This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: WHINERS OUT THERE

Unread post by rickf » June 9th, 2008, 5:42 pm

surpdlr wrote:
Spectre623 wrote:Hey guys we have a bunch of MUTT whiners out there and I would like to know why. The whiners are A-1 diffs and some are A-2 diffs. I have tried both PN# and they both whine. What difference was suppose to make the 116 series A-2 diffs less of a whiner than the A-1 diff ?... Nice to have our own board :idea: ...Thanks Moose ,ya done good pilgrim !! Bill
I know this is from the WRONG LIST, but here is a lot of good info on the M151 Differential:

G503.com Message Forums - M151's Technical Knowledge Base: A differential curiosity

Click the link above for info.

Just an example of how multiple lists dilute the MV knowledge!! This has already been answerd on the G, several times and several ways!!![/quote

Jeff, If you remember I was one of the ones that was banned from the G503. I have made my peace with them and I still go there and I do post occasionally but I know that at any time I can be booted for saying something that may not sit well with a mod. I do like to drift in my explanations sometimes and they do not like that apparently. Yes there is a lot of good info on the 503 and a lot of us reference it. We just do or thing here and stay out everyones way over there so no ones feelings get hurt. I don't understand why you still bring this up?
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » June 9th, 2008, 7:48 pm

It seems a little untimely to bring up the complaint with the G503 but to be fair we are still well within our Statute of Limitations. I go over to the G503 occassionally too but there I don't have "edit rights" and I am sure I am a marked man. I typically have a hard time getting a response over there and that's all ok I guess. We need to erect a memorial that commerorates the founding of this forum. I think Geroge W should drop a 7-11 bought rose off at it on his way to the Middle-East to ask for cheaper oil (again).
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » June 9th, 2008, 9:14 pm

How about this? Bearing on tranny output shaft???????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: .......HTN........
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 10th, 2008, 12:47 am

I think I said this once before, but here it goes again, The only time a M151 is not making some sort of loud or strange noise is when it is at a dead stop and the engine is off, and even then you can hear the unibody rust. :!:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » June 10th, 2008, 4:18 am

Rickf, agree with your comments about the other site and admire your good sense to continue to post there.You are a better man than I.... and I must say though that I sure am glad you are here to help us and to point out, and rightly so, the good stuff that was poster over there in past. You did a lot of it yourself and I thank you for it. BUT, I rarely look over there any more, and almost never post. I was insulted and lied to by the moderator and others back in the final days and reacted strongly. But, as Mr D points out, thanks to moose I can come here and enjoy the wandering posts and fellowship he and the other members have instilled, Outlaws, all of us....
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » June 10th, 2008, 2:57 pm

We're kinda getting way off topic here now guys, which was noisy rears in our jeeps lol. Surpdlr feels strongly that the "knowledge base" shouldn't be diluted over several boards, and there may be "some" validity to that. We've all seen a number of mutt sites form and quickly fall by the wayside. Where I disagree with Jeff is his opinion g503 should be the primary source of mutt info. I'm not saying anything negative about that site, I still visit it myself, but to me, they can be the primary source of info about GPW's and MB's, etc and we'll be the primary source for M151's. We were a secondary add on there, here we are the main focus which is what I feel qualifies us to lead. We are the same people who responded over there to info requests, so the knowledge is here, the only thing missing is old archived messages. It was next to impossible to find anything using the search engine over there anyways. We have a wiki same as there, Horst has been doing an excellent job getting that up to speed. I'm working on making all the manuals available here, and then will probably add some pages on mutt history etc. So if there is any "dilution" my thoughts are that the other non-mutt site should cease and desist as they are the diluting agent..... anyhow I don't want to re-start the whole G versus G flame war again hehehe.
Thank you all for the kind words, I am very happy you find this site to be of some value...

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

TrueXena
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by TrueXena » June 11th, 2008, 11:20 am

When I get this MUTT up and running I'll let ya know if she is noisy or not. ;)

As to the other forum. I've tried for over 2 years to join as a member there, and have yet to get an email giving me confirmation. I signed up and was able to ask any and all questions on this site within minutes. I like it here, I think I'll stay. ;)
Later dayz,
TrueXena
1966 M151A1 - Daily Driver
1964 M151A1 - Restoring
1977 M151A2 - Restoring
1978 M416
1952 M37 - Restoring

surpdlr
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by surpdlr » December 7th, 2009, 5:48 pm

moose53 wrote:We're kinda getting way off topic here now guys, which was noisy rears in our jeeps lol. Surpdlr feels strongly that the "knowledge base" shouldn't be diluted over several boards, and there may be "some" validity to that. We've all seen a number of mutt sites form and quickly fall by the wayside. Where I disagree with Jeff is his opinion g503 should be the primary source of mutt info. I'm not saying anything negative about that site, I still visit it myself, but to me, they can be the primary source of info about GPW's and MB's, etc and we'll be the primary source for M151's. Thank you all for the kind words, I am very happy you find this site to be of some value...

Jim
Apologies for adding more “off topic info to this thread -

I don’t know if you know this, but the G503 site was offered to the MVPA originally. They declined the idea. The MVPA didn’t see a one stop clearing house of MV information as “a good idea”.

If the MVPA had seen the light, then we wouldn’t be talking about the “G”, but the “M” or something like that...

The thing that is potentially bad, is what happened to Steel Soldiers - it, and all it’s info disappeared a few years after it started. When it came back several years later, there was lost info. That is why one super site, with responsible management is a better option, I think. Even the old Skylee Military Vehicle email list suffered from this “loss” problem as it moved over to Google as a host. Maybe these are events that pre-date your involvement in the internet or the MV hobby....... But I have seen it happen several times, and it is aggravating to say the least when it happens.

I hope this site is around forever, but in the internet world that just doesn’t seem to happen very often (I even worry about the “G”, for that matter!!!!)

Long live the G838!!!!!
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES
WRIGHTSVILLE PA
717-252-4489

M151 2B6965 DOD DEC 1960 / BODY # 493 (Amongst others)
INDIAN 741
INDIAN 841
MATCHLESS G3
MATCHLESS G3L
AND SEVERAL OTHER WHEELED AND TRACKED TOYS!!

MVPA #1833
IMPS #1726
MVT #9362

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » December 8th, 2009, 1:41 am

surpdlr wrote:
moose53 wrote:We're kinda getting way off topic here now guys, which was noisy rears in our jeeps lol. Surpdlr feels strongly that the "knowledge base" shouldn't be diluted over several boards, and there may be "some" validity to that. We've all seen a number of mutt sites form and quickly fall by the wayside. Where I disagree with Jeff is his opinion g503 should be the primary source of mutt info. I'm not saying anything negative about that site, I still visit it myself, but to me, they can be the primary source of info about GPW's and MB's, etc and we'll be the primary source for M151's. Thank you all for the kind words, I am very happy you find this site to be of some value...

Jim
Apologies for adding more “off topic info to this thread -

I don’t know if you know this, but the G503 site was offered to the MVPA originally. They declined the idea. The MVPA didn’t see a one stop clearing house of MV information as “a good idea”.

If the MVPA had seen the light, then we wouldn’t be talking about the “G”, but the “M” or something like that...

The thing that is potentially bad, is what happened to Steel Soldiers - it, and all it’s info disappeared a few years after it started. When it came back several years later, there was lost info. That is why one super site, with responsible management is a better option, I think. Even the old Skylee Military Vehicle email list suffered from this “loss” problem as it moved over to Google as a host. Maybe these are events that pre-date your involvement in the internet or the MV hobby....... But I have seen it happen several times, and it is aggravating to say the least when it happens.

I hope this site is around forever, but in the internet world that just doesn’t seem to happen very often (I even worry about the “G”, for that matter!!!!)

Long live the G838!!!!!
When I first got interested in mutts, I looked at whatever I could find, which was scattered across many group or club type sites. I get what you're saying, and for a time 503 was the stop for all of us. When our traffic started to exceed the MB & GPW stuff though we got stepped on hard. We could not have had the informational resources over there that we have here. I assure you that we are not going to disappear like so many other sites have unless people stop using us. We are trying very hard to ensure that any mutt owner can find out whatever they need with one stop here. Its just like SS has become the place to go for deuce info and 503 for MB & GPW's, We are or will become, the place to go for mutts. It might be interesting to have an all encompassing portal page out there to cover all vehicles, with buttons to take you to jeep sites, truck sites armor sites etc. That site could then be the one stop place, and if a sysop gets tired of running a page they could take over and keep it going instead of losing it. If for some reason I no longer want to do this site, or I croak etc. it'll be passed on to someone else to continue, not just go dark or left to spammers.

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » December 8th, 2009, 7:50 am

As a new Mutt owner I searched all the sites, joined G5 and SS, both are good sites but it did not take long to realize this is the pure Mutt site, and I like the fact the site is focused on Mutts / owners / issues. Keep up the good work Moose & ETAL.
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!