no wonder it always overheated

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Re: no wonder it always overheated

Unread post by Cobra5 » January 3rd, 2010, 11:50 am

What's the difference between cooling liquid and anti-freeze?

I-AM-MUTTNUT
civilian

Unread post by I-AM-MUTTNUT » January 7th, 2010, 5:01 pm

hi guys

muttnut here i am guessing some of you thought i was dead ,and a bet some did not care one way or the other lol, you will notice that i am now called I-AM-MUTTNUT,thats cause i forgot my log in details for muttnut hence why the new name.

anyway happy newyear to you all from this side of the pond.

??????? what is the difference to anti freeze and coolant , not much as far as i am aware its just that all engines now have what is called coolant in then which acts as a coolant in the summer so keeps the engine cooler than just water it also has antifreezing properties i think ,if i am wrong let me know
also because of the chemical content it helps to prevent corrosion like seen it mine and horsts engine

hi george

i remember you towing me in to beltring very well indeed and was and am very grateful for your help , my mutt is a brother to horsts a fellow barstow mutt and had a serious over heating problem, under further investigation i found that my block was full of sludge ,i ran my engine up to temp a few times with plenty of caustic soda mixed in the water this got a lot of the s##t out but it was a never ending story , so in the end i stripped the front out of the mutt ,ie water pump also removed all the freeze plugs and got right in there with a very powerful steam cleaner .

this cleaned all the sh##t out it looked immaculate inside when finished,just to be sure when all fitted back together i once again ran up the engine with caustic inside and this time the water stayed as clean as a whistle ,job done no more overheating runs a treat.

it is Worth bearing in mind on top of this problem my bottom hose was also weak and was collapsing when the engine was revved up so restricting the flow of water and adding to the overheating problem, so its always i good idea to check your hoses

bill jarvis
1972 barstow mutt
1976 m416
1942 ford jeep

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 7th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Bill: Good to hear you are alive and well. Remember how hot it was when we were there in 06? I'll never forget it and all the people we met. Without George you might have had to walk home.

Take Care and Happy New Year

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 7th, 2010, 10:35 pm

I changed my radiator and heater hoses a couple years ago with NOS ones, Either the previous owner (he was the head mechanic for a large school bus fleet in suburban St. Louis Mo.) or possibly the military had wire springs in the upper an lower radiator hoses to keep them from collapsing. The previous owner had put the jeep back together and put a take out engine in it. I transferred the springs over to the new hoses.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » January 7th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Bill: Welcome back, hope you're here for a few days this time. How's the Mutt?

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

I-AM-MUTTNUT
civilian

Unread post by I-AM-MUTTNUT » January 8th, 2010, 5:51 am

hi fill

how could i forget that weekend in beltring with you and Andrew,apart from the break down it was very enjoyable and as you say very hot !!!2006 don't time fly i hope you are all well , and as you point out if it wasn't for Georges help and expertise i might still be there lol

hi floyd
i will try and hang around just been very busy with business ,but its good to be back ,and the mutt is well i will pass on your concerns

hi Raymond
its funny you mention about the spring inside the hoses,that's exactly what i did i fitted a stainless coil spring in to the bottom hose to prevent any further collapse so ensuring good water flow at all times it works , i bet its not in the Manuel thou

bill
1972 barstow mutt
1976 m416
1942 ford jeep

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » January 8th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Raymond: your mention of springs inside the hoses reminded me that my mother used to install springs, by hand, inside hoses for the Gates Rubber Co. in Denver, Colorado around 1948.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » January 9th, 2010, 4:38 am

Back to the original issue
How did all that gunk get onto those Barstow jeep engines? Were all affected that way?
From what I recall most of those vehicles had very little mileage and were stored for years.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

I-AM-MUTTNUT
civilian

Unread post by I-AM-MUTTNUT » January 9th, 2010, 3:27 pm

hi top
i think you will find that all that cr#p did not get in there it was already there ie, the engine itself and as they sat for so long with no additives in the colling system the engine just corroded , i have to say that mine was no where near as bad as horsts.

when i had the problem with my engine i assumed it was caput so with kens help i found some more engines in Belgium ,so i went and bought a couple and they were clogged up also but more of a sludge than outright corrosion,so i don't think that the problem is unique to the barstow mutts, its just that the cast block if stood for many years seems to have a propensity to corrode.
1972 barstow mutt
1976 m416
1942 ford jeep

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » January 9th, 2010, 7:55 pm

good explanation- thanks
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » January 10th, 2010, 1:36 pm

glad to see you back with us Bill, I've often wondered how you and your mutt were faring...

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

I-AM-MUTTNUT
civilian

Unread post by I-AM-MUTTNUT » January 10th, 2010, 2:39 pm

:D thx top

hi jim its good to know some one missed me lol hope you are well ,not reading those Manuel's no where near enough that you sent my way but nice to have them non the-less

the site is coming along nice well done

bill
1972 barstow mutt
1976 m416
1942 ford jeep