This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

armybuck041
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Steel Brake and Fuel Lines... Rapco?

Unread post by armybuck041 » August 1st, 2010, 9:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever bought the replacement Steel Fuel or Brake Lines from Rapco?

I need to replace all of mine as they are old and ugly. Just toying with either buying new ones or fabricating my own. The Rapco ones will cost around $200 for both the Brake and Fuel lines. Any opinions out there on the Rapco Lines?

Thanks

Scotty
Scott Bentley
M151A2 CDN, SN 43813, CFR 74-09195
Gone but never forgotten: Sgt Shane Stachnik, Killed in Action on 3 Sept 2006, Panjwaii, Afghanistan

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Steel Brake and Fuel Lines... Rapco?

Unread post by raymond » August 1st, 2010, 9:24 pm

I fabricated my own out of long lengths of brake line from the auto parts store. You will need a good cutter and flaring tool. I didn't use a bender and didn't have any kinks, even when I made that little short brake line on the front between the hose and the front wheel cylinder. I didn't put any of the fabric loom over the brake lines, as on my old ones, the worst parts still had the fabric loom on them. The fabric held in water and dirt and made those sections rust worse than areas where the loom was missing. One more thing, be careful removing and save all your brake tees. The replacement ones at the auto parts store don't have the the little hanger bracket on them. I saved mine by using a cutter and cut away the brake lines from the tees and then used a deep socket to remove the old line nuts. It's not as bad a job as it sounds.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

armybuck041
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by armybuck041 » August 1st, 2010, 9:44 pm

raymond wrote:I fabricated my own out of long lengths of brake line from the auto parts store. You will need a good cutter and flaring tool. I didn't use a bender and didn't have any kinks, even when I made that little short brake line on the front between the hose and the front wheel cylinder. I didn't put any of the fabric loom over the brake lines, as on my old ones, the worst parts still had the fabric loom on them. The fabric held in water and dirt and made those sections rust worse than areas where the loom was missing. One more thing, be careful removing and save all your brake tees. The replacement ones at the auto parts store don't have the the little hanger bracket on them. I saved mine by using a cutter and cut away the brake lines from the tees and then used a deep socket to remove the old line nuts. It's not as bad a job as it sounds.
Thanks for the reply Raymond.

Having another quick look at the Brake lines after putting up the original post, I think i'll take your advise Raymond and just make them. I've got a bending and flaring kit. I'm not worried about the loom for them. My A2 was "Ziebarted" while in service, and they sprayed right over everything underneath, all the lines included. I intend to do the same thing with modern rubberized flexible undercoating once i've tested the Brake system for leaks, so the loom would be a waste of money.

The Fuel lines on the other hand; i'm not sure I could do as nice of a job, especially in the cab, where they are all in plain view. To add insult to injury, my originals have been beaten and bent so bad, they wouldn't really make a good template to make new ones. Here I would want the loom. Has anyone tried these Rapco lines?? Pics??

Scotty

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » August 1st, 2010, 11:07 pm

You won me over Raymond, I'm goin homemade :)
This or next year will be the time for new brake lines for my 'early'. I'm going with my bend a flair talents and SS from the local auto parts store . Will also try my hand at the copper I'm replacing/salvaging under the hood for non fuel and brake lines. You can bet they'll be brasso'd like the plumbing in a basic trainee's latrine.Image
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » August 1st, 2010, 11:57 pm

I had to replace a couple lines and did it myself. However instead of cutting and flaring you can get the line with the ends already installed. They come in different lengths and all you have to do is bend them up. Make sure you tell them that you want standard ends otherwise you may get metric, which happened to me. Good luck!

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » August 2nd, 2010, 2:36 pm

This is a rather unique flaring tool and when I lost a rear drive shaft in my CJ, I found it tore out the right rear brake line. FedHill came up on a web search and I used there lines and flaring tool. What a fantastic machine, other than the initial cost. The brake lines are also more malleable than the normal steel lines and very easy to work with. Plus they have a bit of copper in the alloy for you purest.

http://store.fedhillusa.com/

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

armybuck041
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by armybuck041 » August 2nd, 2010, 5:51 pm

Well, looks like i'll be making all of my Fuel Lines as well it seems...... RAPCO doesn't ship to Canada either :(

EDIT: They do not export M151 parts, can't speak for other models.

Looks like i'll have to explore doing a border run or something.

baios
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by baios » August 3rd, 2010, 8:23 am

359$ :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :?
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
m51A2 Ford 1971
E-Mail vzisimos@yahoo.gr

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 3rd, 2010, 4:42 pm

Floyd

That is one deluxe flaring tool. I did mine with an old one my father had. It is at least 50 years old and made by Ridgid. It kind of looks like this one.

http://www.toolbarn.com/malco-ft195.html
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » August 4th, 2010, 12:47 am

Raymond: The difference between a Isetta and a Rolls, what can I say. I’ve probably used one that cost half of what your dad paid. They all have been known to do the job, some just better than others.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » August 4th, 2010, 12:53 am

AB041, Almost forgot, that's funny that Mark (RapCo) will not send those brake lines to Canada. They are not NOS nor are they Military. For plain old steel brake lines he's sure being persnickity.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » August 4th, 2010, 11:11 am

If I am not mistaken the brake and fuel line are made by a fellow named Mike Scholer somewhere in FL. He typically doesn't sell direct but you can buy them from Army Jeep Parts in PA.
I have used them twice before and the worked as intended.

I have made pieces before but wouldn't bother doing a whole system again if I had to do it.

Those are my thoughts.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

armybuck041
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by armybuck041 » August 4th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Floyd wrote:AB041, Almost forgot, that's funny that Mark (RapCo) will not send those brake lines to Canada. They are not NOS nor are they Military. For plain old steel brake lines he's sure being persnickity.

Floyd
Actually, in his (RAPCO) defence, it was a NOS Windshield Glass to Frame Gasket/Seal I was trying to order. Still, a pretty harmless item in the grand scheme of things. I hate driving 2 hrs to the border for little items like this that can't be found anywhere else.

Anyone want to trade a NOS Ignition Coil for a RAPCO $28 NOS Windshield Glass Gasket?

armybuck041
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by armybuck041 » August 16th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Fil Bonica wrote:If I am not mistaken the brake and fuel line are made by a fellow named Mike Scholer somewhere in FL. He typically doesn't sell direct but you can buy them from Army Jeep Parts in PA.
I have used them twice before and the worked as intended.

I have made pieces before but wouldn't bother doing a whole system again if I had to do it.

Those are my thoughts.

Fil Bonica
I spoke with AJP, and they are good to go with shipping to Canada. Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know if the Brake Line Kit includes all of the Steel Brake Lines, including the short lengths in the Front??

Scotty

armybuck041
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by armybuck041 » September 20th, 2010, 7:16 pm

OK, Brake Line Kit is on its way :)

Just need to get the Fuel Line Kit now.

Can anyone tell me exactly which Fuel Lines come with the kit?

I'm assuming that the Fuel Supply Line, Return Line and the two Vent Lines that are in the Cab are included. But are any of the underhood lines, like the Vent to Air Filter Assembly included?

Scotty