This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

M151 vs A1

Unread post by Hambone » December 17th, 2010, 11:43 am

Hey guys,
I read about the suspension changes from the M151 to the A1. I see they went to stronger a-arms and an extra rubber bumper, but my question is will the old M151 a-arms work on an A1 body? Thanks Hambone

ppauto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: M151 vs A1

Unread post by ppauto » December 17th, 2010, 2:14 pm

I have some personal experience with that. I have a mixture of early M151 and A1 rear swing arms on mine. There are some differences other than the steel used. The early M151 arms have only 2 bolt holes where it attaches to the bearing hub. The A1 used a 3rd hole in the center. The early hub doesn't have the center hole either.The holes on the early arm are threaded where the A1 used pass through bolts and nuts. The same bolt will work (you just don't need the nut). Also the bushing end has a smaller hole on the early one. The only bushings available are for the A1 type. They have a steel sleeve on them. They will not fit in the early type. I had a machine shop open up the bushing hole from 7/8" to 1" so I could use the later type bushing. After I had that done, it fits just fine. So, if you have the complete A-arm assembly with hub and all, the only problem would be the fitment of the bushings. My 1960 Ford built MUTT already had A1 swing-arms on it. The replacement arm I used with the odd bolting and bushing hole came off a 1964 Kaiser built MUTT. Look at the bushings. If you can see a steel sleeve on the bushing, the replacement bushings will fit. If there is no sleeve, you would have to get the holes bored to replace the bushings. I think I paid $20 for the one hole so, $20 X 4.......

ppauto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: M151 vs A1

Unread post by ppauto » December 17th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I forgot to say, if you don't plan to change the bushings, they will bolt right on.