1978 M151A2 From the Royal Saudi Army (KSA)

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

1978 M151A2 From the Royal Saudi Army (KSA)

Unread post by Vzike » September 29th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Here I go again.

I found this on eBay and drove up and picked up the vehicle this last weekend. This one has many serious corrosion issues, but with the resources I have, and the NOS and after market panels available, I think I can bring this little war horse back from the dead.....

This is a very complete vehicle, with the exception of the fording kit.... looking under it, I think they may have done a little too much fording with it.

OH... the first and biggest thing I need is the fuel tank floor. If anyone has a scrapped out mutt with a usable fuel tank floor, let me know.

Here goes. I'll post as I go. Be patient... I have a lot of "before" pictures I'm going to post.

Here is a picture I'm adding of the trip home with it from Near Fayetteville, NC to Singer Island, FL

Last edited by Vzike on December 11th, 2016, 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vin Zike

rickf
General
General

Re: Second Project - 77 or 78 A2

Unread post by rickf » September 29th, 2015, 3:04 pm

I want that Bronco in the back ground.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » September 29th, 2015, 4:46 pm

The Bronco is getting some attention there... more than the Austin Healy 3000 parked out of sight to the right of the Bronco. More people stop to take selfies with the mutt than any of the other classics in the lot.....

So I pressure washed it, and pulled out the fuel tank. It was shot. Have a replacement, but need to fab up some floors for the fuel tank bay.

Vin Zike

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » September 30th, 2015, 9:24 am

I have a NOS bottom half of a fuel tank that might work for most of the panel.

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » September 30th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Need some help here. I looked at the tub number and found the following.
c151-12349

The guy I bought this from said that the person he bought it from found it in Saudi Arabia when he was there working as a contractor, and brought it home. The odd thing is that the engine has a completely different plate than I have seen, and it also has two belts (instead of three).

Does anyone have any info about this arrangement?

Last edited by Vzike on December 21st, 2015, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vin Zike

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » September 30th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Contact Ken the muttguru and he can spproximate the tubs date.
The engine plate is also different.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 1st, 2015, 6:52 am

The motor was a rebuild and it was an A1 set-up that was not converted to A2. I see you have the A2 alternator, you may have issues with it charging at idle, the three belt pulleys were a different size to increase the speed on the alternator.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » October 1st, 2015, 11:10 am

Rick is always on top of things.....great expert knowledge ....THE BEST ! . Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » October 1st, 2015, 1:12 pm

Rick,
Thanks. You are correct. Charging drops to the yellow on idle. I've started removing some of the bad panels and it appears the first coat of paint over the primer is tan. Is that something you've seen?
Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » October 22nd, 2015, 1:15 pm

Spending a lot of time cutting out the floor pans. I'm replacing with CMD panels. Also ordered side panels a new front drivers fender, tool box door and a complete underbody kit. This 1/4 ton is going to need a lot of work.

Ken got back to me on the numbers. It appears this was a truck from the 77 Army contract. The vehicle was likely part of a batch that was assembled for and went directly to Saudi Arabia (KSA). No US military service. It is titled under the data plate serial number and was brought back to the states by a contractor. Other than more recent parts installed, everything on it was painted tan over the original primer.

So now I'm looking for KSA markings. Let me know if any of you have a picture of an M151 with KSA markings!
Vin Zike

Vzike

Re: 1978 M151A2 From the Royal Saudi Army (KSA)

Unread post by Vzike » November 22nd, 2016, 11:32 pm

This project sat for the past year. I cut out the floors and parked it next to the garage. Today I kicked off the resto. I rolled it over to my bay (which is still occupied by a 1953 MG TD that I did a brake job on), and started tearing it down.

If the engine hoist comes back tomorrow, I'll pull the power pack, wiring, and the suspension, and get it ready for the sandblaster.
Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » November 28th, 2016, 10:46 pm

No engine hoist yet. Have the engine all disconnected except for the mounts. Finished up the brake job on the MG and some work on a Nissan PU. I'm ready to get this mutt cleaned up and start welding on it.

Here are some more pictures.

Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » November 28th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Contact Ken the muttguru and he can approximate the tubs date.
The engine plate is also different.
Fil Bonica
I missed this from you, earlier, Fil. I Contacted Ken last year and sent him all the info. The mutt matches up with the story I got on it. I purchased it on an eBay sale. Duct tap, bondo, and paint covered the fact that is was pretty rusted out in some areas. I'll comment on that after sandblasting. The guy I got it from said that he bought it from someone in Florida, who was a contractor in Saudi Arabia. He found the A2 in a junk pile, bought it and used it there until he rotated home. He had it shipped back and used it here until a couple years ago, when he sold it to the guy from NC who I bought it from.

The response from Ken was that the body number of this truck came from the 1977 Army contract. About the time of this production, our government stepped in and directed a batch to Portugal, and some to Saudi Arabia. When I chopped out the rusted out floors, I found a number of spent shell casings, for 556 9mm, and 45, in the frames, all dating from Desert Storm time frame. I'm not saying that is here they came from, but I guess it is possible that this truck saw combat with Saudi's at that time.
Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » December 1st, 2016, 9:13 am

Yesterday I got the MUTT up on the lift, pulled the exhaust system, the inspection cover, the drive shafts, and the clutch linkage. Put the cherry picker on it, and the engine was out in about 5 minutes. Today I'll pressure wash the engine and work on getting the mutt on the rotisserie. Once I do that, I'll pressure wash it and prep it for the sand blaster.

Earlier I took about 80 pieces to the sand blaster so I can get the "smalls" ready.

Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » December 8th, 2016, 9:31 am

Cut out all the panels and rusted out parts, pressure washed it all, and off to the sand blaster..... How.... in the back of a pickup, of course.

It was on the rotisserie, so we lifted it off, using the lift in the bay, took the rotisserie apart, and set the tub on the floor. Then took chains and used the lift to lift it from above. We then backed the pickup under it, and lowered it on 2X4s. Strapped it down, and off to the sand blaster. Once there, we re-assembled the rotisserie, lifted the tub off using their fork lift, and put it on the rotisserie. I should bet the "white metal" tub back tomorrow. Standing by with primer, replacement panels, and mig wire.

Vin Zike