22 LR ammo

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

22 LR ammo

Unread post by raymond » April 25th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Just got back from a gun show in St. Charles Mo. Found a vendor who needed to leave and was really unloading stuff. I bought 5000 rounds of Winchester M22 for $275.00 :mrgreen:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: 22 LR ammo

Unread post by retiredpara » April 25th, 2015, 5:15 pm

You scored. Reputable dealers will sell a brick between 28-32 dollars, but they are scarce and always sold out.
What are run of the mill M1 Garands changing hands for up there?

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 25th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Didn't see many run of the mill Garands. Did see a table with 6 different collector grade ones with all correct parts, matching numbers etc. Priced from 1800 to 3600 and all included origin papers. The friend I went with scored a really nice condition Winchester P17 for 600.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 25th, 2015, 5:57 pm

P.S. I've had crappy luck with certain 22LR shells from Federal and Remington before, but everything I've ever bought from Winchester was always good stuff. No failures to fire, no squibs. The M22 feeds and fires flawlessly through AR15 22 uppers.
Raymond

TopKick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by TopKick » May 10th, 2015, 7:36 pm

I prefer Winchester over ALL others as it has never failed me! 8)
"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » May 16th, 2015, 11:06 pm

raymond wrote:Didn't see many run of the mill Garands. Did see a table with 6 different collector grade ones with all correct parts, matching numbers etc. Priced from 1800 to 3600 and all included origin papers. The friend I went with scored a really nice condition Winchester P17 for 600.
Raymond, If you see that many on one table, beware. It is not hard to fake CMP paperwork (FWIW, the DCM NEVER sold M1s by "grade"), but there are things to look for. I would not recommend buying a "collector grade" M1 unless you could get the serial number from the seller, then send a serial number request to the CMP. They will research what grade that rifle sold, and you will know for sure. There are at least a couple of guys who are faking "Collector Grade" CMP rifles. They are starting to be outed.
Whenever I purchased a "Correct" grade at the North Store, I would have one of the guys working there assist me. I scored a few that should have been "Collector" grade, for a few less bucks.
Same for M1C sniper rifles, Navy Presentation rifles. There are a couple of guys who track the serial numbers on those and can verify if what you are buying is a fake, or legitimate.
If you ever see one you are interested in I would be happy to offer an opinion if it would help.

Jistuason
civilian

Unread post by Jistuason » October 22nd, 2015, 11:10 pm

I just went out the last friday and used around 250 plus rounds of CCI .22 long rifle 40 grain and had not one problem with all those rounds. A buddy of mine give me some of his federal .22 rounds and I have some misfires I'm going to stick to the cci rounds from now on. The gun I was using it's a remington model 24 and it's 82 yrs young.

Last edited by Jistuason on October 25th, 2015, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 24th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Just fired around 500 rounds with my daughter.
She shot my (it's really hers now) SW MP 15 22.
I shot my Colt H Bar Match Target with a Chiappa 22 upper fit with a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot.
She can hit with the metal sites almost as well as I can with the red dot.
She is getting really good. She has lost most of her bad habits, but still has a tendency to grip the rear grip too tight and use the crease of the finger instead of the pad. Thus, she "pulls" the trigger instead of "presses" the trigger.
But she is 14 with excellent eyesight.
I am 51, wear reading glasses, and am developing cataracts.

It was fun :D
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 24th, 2015, 7:35 pm

I was shooting when we were at Graves over Labor day, mostly pistol including the 44 hand cannon and was pleasantly surprised that I still am pretty damn accurate even with one cataract remaining in my dominate eye. The other eye is ,or was, legally blind until I had the cataract removed from it several years ago but I still do not really use it due to muscle problems. Rifle was another issue since that was where the cataract really came into play and I had a lot of trouble there. That bothered me since I was always a long range shooter and had qualified as a sniper. Unfortunately being from a communist state, NJ, I do not get a chance to shoot much anymore.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Archelgray18
civilian

Unread post by Archelgray18 » October 29th, 2015, 10:49 pm

What this world needs is some form of .22LR or .32 Air Rifle which also allows you to handload paper cartridges or brass cartridges. It should also be a weapon which can be built with relative ease in order to have a SHTF design.

Last edited by Archelgray18 on November 18th, 2015, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 30th, 2015, 10:20 am

.22lr can be reloaded :!: :idea:

Not sure I'd go through with the process though.

See here:
http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

And here:
http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/8/18 ... mpetitors/
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 7th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Interesting website for locating ammunition, especially .22lr.

https://www.wikiarms.com/
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 8th, 2016, 10:09 pm

P.S. I can personally vouch for ammosupplywarehouse.com. Good prices and service.
Raymond