US Army Stencil Paint - What's Best To Use ?

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

nick
Private First Class
Private First Class

US Army Stencil Paint - What's Best To Use ?

Unread post by nick » July 5th, 2016, 3:16 am

Hi there,

Wonder if anyone can help me....? I'm purchasing US Army stencils for my MUTT Jeep and wondered if there is a particular spray paint that is recommended for this purpose ?

The Stencils I was looking to buy appear to be made of thick paper or card and are simply taped into position and spray painted, but presume there must be some sort of correct procedure for doing this ?

Any help or advice would be well received :)

rickf
General
General

Re: US Army Stencil Paint - What's Best To Use ?

Unread post by rickf » July 5th, 2016, 11:13 am

The tighter you get that stencil to the body the crisper your letters will be. Although I have never done it I have heard of people spraying the back of the stencil with contact cement to hold it tight against the body. I would experiment with some similar material and see how hard it is to get off, you do not want to have to scrub on new paint. A thin rubber cement would be perfect but I am not sure it would keep the stencil in tight enough against the body. Just some suggestions too think about.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

nick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by nick » July 6th, 2016, 2:53 am

Hi Rick, thank you for your advice - I'll have to think carefully about applying the stencils and I'm also amazed at how straight the Army seem to get the stencils when originally applied.
Regards, Dan

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » July 6th, 2016, 4:28 am

[quote="nick"] The Stencils I was looking to buy appear to be made of thick paper or card and are simply taped into position and spray painted, but presume there must be some sort of correct procedure for doing this ? Any help or advice would be well received :)[/quote ]

Nick, I've used paper stencils and the technique I used was to wet the paper so that it adheres temporarily to the hood or body. I then dabbed the stencil with a tissue to dry up any water on the surface of the area to be sprayed.
Next I used the aerosol can (shaken well and warmed in a bucket of hot water) and sprayed light coats, allowing each coat of paint to dry before applying the next spray coat. The paper stencils were then simply lifted off......no overspray, no spray going under the stencil.
The question is... how thick is the paper on your stencils? If it is waxed oilboard or thick card, you'll struggle to form it to the curved surface of the hood etc even if you wet it.
ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Stagg
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Stagg » July 6th, 2016, 9:37 am

Use ink, and roll it on.
Works great for us Kansas City guys.

Using stencil ink, and roller allows for a super crisp look, good control, and no overspray
(unless the over spray is the authentic soldier look you want! :mrgreen: )

It also wipes up/off with rubbing alcohol, so if you screw it up, or want to change it it comes right off without messing up your paint.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » July 6th, 2016, 10:16 am

Rick Larsen makes paint mask stick on stencils that make the underspray problems go awawy.
If you arent careful as Ken says you can get in to messy lettering.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

artillerydan
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by artillerydan » July 11th, 2016, 12:30 pm

3M spray adhesive on the back side of the oil board stencil. It is made for just this purpose, also will adhere permanently if you want, different variations. Available at Home Depot. You spray it on the back of the stencil let it sit for 1 min or so (read directions) then it drys to the point of just being sticky, then put the stencil on the vehicle. Mask area, paint, remove. Remember these are the people who make "post it notes" so it is the same function. I have done this to EVERY vehicle I have owned in the last 10 years. Take your time when you spray.... spray one light coat let it sit a few min then another let it sit. etc..... If you try and get perfect coverage in one spray you will get pooling of the paint on the bottom edges of the stencil.
43 WLA Harley
44 M24 Chaffee Tank
44 M19 Dual 40mm "Duster"
62 M151
62 M114 ARV
64 M151A1
70 M151A2 Ford Early - USMC
71 M151A2 Ford
74 M151A2 ARMY FAV
75 MC4000 Forklift
77 M151A2 Army CAV
78 M151A2 W/TOW
79 M718A1 USMC
82 M151A2 USMC FAV x2
91& 03 M1030 USMC
96 CUCV II Tahoe
99 M1031B1 USMC
MVPA 7411
M151jeep.com

Jane
Corporal
Corporal

3M ADHESIVE SPRAY

Unread post by Jane » July 11th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Dan,
Could you give me the 3M No on the Adhesive Spray Can which you used for applying the stencils, much appreciated.
Rodney