Desert Storm Hood

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

czechnology
Sergeant
Sergeant

Desert Storm Hood

Unread post by czechnology » December 2nd, 2008, 3:33 am

This picture was submitted from one of my friends. I was told that this hood is authentic from the Desert Storm, can you guys tell if that is correct?

´67 M151A1
´65 M416

Czech discussion board about M151 series vehicles with stuff you won´t see elsewhere - http://www.muttforum.cz

czechnology
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Desert Storm Hood

Unread post by czechnology » December 3rd, 2008, 9:11 am

Nobody knows?
´67 M151A1
´65 M416

Czech discussion board about M151 series vehicles with stuff you won´t see elsewhere - http://www.muttforum.cz

Snapper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Snapper » December 3rd, 2008, 9:18 am

I hope it is because I have a MUTT I want to prepare in Desert Storm markings and this is the first snap I've seen which may help me.
A friend has a USMC colleague who is hoping to dig me out some snaps. It's a case of watch this space until he does.

Good hunting,

MB

homerguy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by homerguy » December 3rd, 2008, 8:37 pm

I'll chime in here as the hood is mine. The man I bought it from was responsible for coordinating the sale of the USMC Humvees here in Atlanta. He secured all the Humvees as well as the M151A2's that were stored in Barstow and sold abroad. According to him the MUTTS were a consolation prize because the number of good Humvees did not equal what was initially bargained for. He bought directly from the USMC which apparently operates as an entity unto itself. I have no reason to believe the hood is not 100% however, who knows where it has been. It is the original paint and markings and the hood is in great shape. I hand picked it from a big stack he had laying around his yard.

Snapper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Snapper » December 4th, 2008, 11:36 am

That's really interesting. I've learned from this forum that the USMC did use them in Desert Storm - Do you have access to any photos of any more like this? I'd love to see some if possible. I haven't been able to find any elsewhere. It all helps. If I get the thing done right, I doubt if there will be a similar MUTT in the UK (aside from collecting all the correct kit to make it look authentic).

Cheers!

Mark