Assorted projects

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Assorted projects

Unread post by m3a1 » March 9th, 2017, 5:35 pm

When you have a welder, every piece of steel looks like a project!

I got into a large project for the local motorcycle dealership (the guys who give me so much free steel) and we created a huge 778 gallon catch basin for their 500 gallon above-ground fuel tank. The panels were sheared to our specifications so it went together very well. Getting things square is absolutely necessary when you're doing something like this (I'm sure Rick will back me up on that) or you end up with a trapezoid, a lot of wasted steel and big headaches. So, we checked, checked and checked some more as this was going together and the project came out perfectly.

The tank is marked with a visual marker inside, indicating that, if rainwater gathers at a particular level (178 gallons), it must be drained so as to ensure that it would always be capable of handling 500 gallons, permitting a 50 gallon variance, allowing that the tank may not necessarily be placed absolutely level. Welds were doped because we know this tank will never actually be cleaned and I didn't want small dirt and debris to gather at the edges of the welds and create rust pockets there over time. Needless to say, they were very happy with their catch basin. As compensation, I continue to receive a lot of free steel for projects and much free servicing for my motorcycle.

MilCat - my Shop Supervisor

Because of the huge dimensions of the tank I had to move my welder around in order to be able to reach the work. I have my welder mounted on a tiny trailer which is far better than the typical shop-style wheels that came with it. I move it very infrequently but as age is creeping up on me, it has became obvious that it would be so much easier to move it around if I had a trailer dolly. So, with a quick glance at what was being offered commercially, I made my own from stuff I had laying around. Total expense - $4.49 for the ball hitch. It's sole purpose is for the welder trailer and it really isn't suitable for larger trailers because it's very lightweight.

Other fun stuff around the place. Finally!.... getting my signs up.

This other little project started with the intent that I mount my other, larger bench grinder on it. Unfortunately, the wife saw it and said she wanted it with a tractor seat on it for her anniversary gift. (Anniversary gift-buying is always a headache for me so I jumped at the chance.) I bought a reproduction seat that was being offered on eBay. I bought the cheapest cast iron one I could find and received a seat that was probably regarded as a "second" by the seller as it had quite a bit of casting flashing on it. I spent quite a bit of time trimming it up until I was happy with it. What you see is not the final assembly but rather, the whole thing thrown together in order to get an idea how high the seat needs to be, where other things need to go, etc.

rickf
General
General

Re: Assorted projects

Unread post by rickf » March 9th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Better you than me on that tank brother! I have built many water tanks and smaller fuel tanks for vehicles but with that one if it is ever needed for it's intended purpose and it leaks......................... The EPA ans some hazmat team will be all over you. Not to mention the lawyers for the insurance company paying for it all. I tend to stay away from any jobs that could lead to large liability.
I know, very slim chance, BUT.

Love the tractor seat. I was just talking to a buddy from work, he retired before me and is just riding around scrapping for something to do, no money in it. I am going to be giving him most of the scrap metal I have around save for some select pieces. I am never going to use this stuff and scrap is never going back up to profitable prices. Time to start cleaning up the property.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 9th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the tank but I'm getting to that point in my life where I simply stop worrying about the fringe possibilities. If I ever wanted to be completely free of what might happen, I never would have gone to Afghanistan. The downstream liability issues crossed my mind but it is strong (11 gauge steel!), the welds are good and I put it together with great care and consideration. I would have liked to have put in gussets as some additional support for the sidewalls, I suggested it and I even had the extra steel to do it, but they refused and said that was exactly what they wanted.
Last edited by m3a1 on March 10th, 2017, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SturmTyger380
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SturmTyger380 » March 10th, 2017, 9:14 am

I am usually using my mig welder to weld 18 gauge or less steel. My setting is never the same. I will start and blow holes in the seam and and have to adjust. Plus my welds are never solid enough to hold a liquid.

Alan
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 10th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Rick is the welding expert and I'm sure he'll have some useful hints for you. (Rick, if you are reading this post, perhaps there could to be a section devoted to welding added to the site?)

Sturm, I'm self-taught and have very limited experience on lighter gauges of metal so I'm not sure how far you'd get with any information I could provide but I will say this....if you listen and follow Rick's suggestions, you'll never go far wrong.

I don't want this post to sound like a brush-off. It's just that I've confined most of my welding to heavy steel so likely as not I'd just be sending you in the wrong direction.

For all the things the internet isn't, it can provide a great deal of information about certain things. Welding is one of "those things." As long as you're not jumping into projects where someone's life depends upon the results of your welding skills (such as boldly building a gantry crane to hoist a grand piano up to the 13th floor) it's all academic. There is a whole bunch of good stuff on youtube as well. By way of example, Eastwood Co. has a whole bunch of interesting stuff, all of which promotes their products, but still...very instructional. If you watch some of that, you'll know better what questions to ask here because at the end of the day, g838.org is the place where you'll get the best advice.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 10th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Alan, first off, what kind of welder are you using? 110 or 220 volt? Gas or flux core? What size wire and what amperage is the machine?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone