Dummy M14

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Dummy M14

Unread post by m3a1 » May 12th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Here's my junk spring-air M14 that I picked up on the cheap. It's coming along a bit at a time. Just finished fitting a proper flash hider on it and cut out some plastic casting material in the magazine well so it can accept a magazine (which will be permanently JB-welded in place since there is no other method for holding it in there) but only after all the sanding and painting is done. Still have to sand down the knurling on the stock and fill some screw holes. It should look great with a mannequin or with it laying in the back of the MUTT with some other gear. Even in these early stages, it looks pretty convincing.

Last edited by m3a1 on August 24th, 2017, 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Dummy M14

Unread post by Mark » May 13th, 2017, 12:37 am

I have an airsoft m14, it's black, but it really has the plastic look to it, don't know how to make it look real as the paint would be hard to find that would make it look right
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 13th, 2017, 5:09 am

Well, if you like the look of the Walnut or Birch stock, there's a method for applying paint to look like wood grain. Home Depot even offers a kit for it but at $39 it's cost prohibitive considering this was meant to be done on the cheap.

Faux wood won't stand up to close scrutiny, of course, but as a general display item not meant to be handled and closely examined, I believe it would pass muster.

Even so, the real M14 wood stock had a reputation for not standing up to damp environments very well probably owing to its long, slender shape. As a result, synthetic stocks were also in use in Vietnam...in dark brown, black and even camouflage. Really doesn't matter...the whole effort is just to provide another thing to help display the M151 in its proper context.

I'm a long-time modeler so I may just pass on the effort to do the faux wood and simply paint mine with a Badger air brush as a synthetic stock version. Expecting good results with that as there is really a tremendous selection of model paints to choose from.

Actually, I'm glad you brought this up as I have finally taken a moment to look online at the pics of the USGI synthetic stocks. Surprise!, the knurling is actually part of the design of the USGI synthetic stocks so I can skip the step of sanding those off. But there is the nasty business of removing the rail system on mine which may just have more to do with keeping the two halves together than meets the eye. I may just leave it on there.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 14th, 2017, 8:13 pm

More pics...because we all like pics... :)

Filled the screw holes with JB Weld and then topped with glazing putty. Not perfect, but close enough.

I found the perfect satin nutmeg color in Rust-oleum. Did I mention how much I despise masking small items in preparation for paint?
It's starting to look very convincing!
Last edited by m3a1 on August 24th, 2017, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 16th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Project finished! $20 initial purchase price, plus $14 for a metal replacement for the original plastic flash-hider and $9 for an Airsoft magazine. Total - $43. Not sure if I'm financially ahead or not but, for display purposes, I think this box has been checked.

For starters, here is a picture of a set of four original M14s of the Vietnam era. Top and bottom are the synthetic stock version.

Here's my finished product. I could have gone further with this by eliminating the seams and removing the "Made in China" from the side but I didn't see any benefit from going overboard on this project because folks shouldn't be handling this item anyway. From 10' away, it's completely believable and will make an excellent addition to any display I put together.