Main Frame repair --- worth it or not

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kgc2.0
civilian

Main Frame repair --- worth it or not

Unread post by kgc2.0 » June 11th, 2017, 1:43 pm

This is a M151A1, delivery date 1/1968. As you can see in the pictures, where it was welded back on the main frame, rust has gotten the best of it. The rest of the body is in fair shape and can be good again with a few panels. Only rust is around these areas. My question, is it worth trying to save this body? The price I paid for it I can easily get my money back on the power pack, (it was running when I started tearing the Mutt apart). I have restored several jeeps over the years, but this if my first Mutt. Need advice please.

Driver's side top view
[album][Image/album]

Passenger side top view
[album][/Imagealbum]

Driver's side underneath
[album][Image/album]

Passenger side underneath
[album][Image/album]

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Main Frame repair --- worth it or not

Unread post by m3a1 » June 11th, 2017, 2:19 pm

You're into a big project there and likely as not, the work will have that truck laid up for some time to come. What does the rest of the vehicle look like?

It really comes down to what you want. Do you want something you can enjoy immediately or do you want something that's a project?

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 11th, 2017, 2:20 pm

"Worth it" is a subjective term. It all depends on how good your welding and fabrication skills are and how much time you want to put into it. It will never be worth a lot of money so if you are doing it to resell then no, it is not worth it. The biggest issue you are going to have there is making sure everything is perfectly straight and exactly the right distance front to back. The drive shafts will not fit if you are so much as a 1/4" off.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 11th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Let's see some pics of the whole truck. I have a couple of ideas that involve salvaging and repurposing major parts of bodies just such as yours.

kgc2.0
civilian

Unread post by kgc2.0 » June 11th, 2017, 2:42 pm

These are some of the pictures before I started. Since then I have removed the power pack, seats, wiring and gauges.

[album][Image/album]
[albumImage][/album]
[album]Image[/album]
[album]Image[/album]

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 11th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Well, there's the great trap, isn't it? They look terrific until you get into the geographic center of the vehicle!

If you decide to scrap the body, but still want a project, turn the front end from dash to front bumper into a trailer or a stand-alone device and mount a gas grill in the engine bay, complete with side burners for pots. Figure out some electrical for the lights. Everybody needs one of those in or around the shop, or sell it and make some money to apply to your next truck. Too cool for school!

Everything else is sellable.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » June 11th, 2017, 3:52 pm

I'm sure it could be repaired, as Rick said, not much value for such a big job but it would make a nice jeep. If you have the desire, I would build a jig to hold the frame in place, remove the tunnel cover, cut as much floor out as it takes to get back to good frame metal, a 6" Metabo blade will cut the old frame right out, you will need access to a metal brake to fab the new pieces.

kgc2.0
civilian

Unread post by kgc2.0 » June 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Not sure what I am going to do. Probably put the power pack back in and sell it to someone for a good price that knows what they are doing. I hate to scrap something when someone else with better metal skills can fix it.

kgc2.0
civilian

Unread post by kgc2.0 » June 11th, 2017, 6:20 pm

If someone is interested in buying it, make me a reasonable offer. Must take all, not interested in parting it out. Mutt is located in Central Georgia.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 12th, 2017, 12:20 am

If you look in the G838's For Sale section I think your most obvious solution is there. Husker has an A1 body for sale or trade and he's in Alabama. Or just post your truck for sale there as well. Wishing you very good luck with your projects!
Cheers,
TJ

Husker
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Husker » June 12th, 2017, 5:04 am

Sadly I just dropped my body off at the welder to be repaired and I'll be keeping it my frame was in much better shape but my fenders front and rear were pretty much trash and are being replaced along with the floors.
US Army Fort Belvoir

19XX M35 something. Sold......
1972 M151A2
1967 M416
On the hunt for an M1031

kgc2.0
civilian

Unread post by kgc2.0 » June 12th, 2017, 7:37 am

Thanks for the help, wished I would have got in touch with you before you sent it to the welder. I have posted it in the for sale section. Maybe someone can bring her back to life!