Mystery TUB Project

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Mystery TUB Project

Unread post by Vzike » April 5th, 2017, 10:29 am

A couple weeks ago I posted an ad under the wanted thread for a restorable tub. A new member saw it and responded. We talked, and Monday I drove 5-1/2 hours to just north of Valdosta, GA, and picked up a M151A1, a mystery tub, and some parts. I'm pretty happy with the price, and now have a way to use up a store of my parts.

This thread will document the build of the tub. The M151A1 will be cannibalized and scrapped. It's unfortunate that it is so rusted out. It had some neat early parts (adjustable seats, rear seat stops, and more) that are all totally shot. I'm hoping to get a couple differentials and some rebuildable drive and axle shafts from it. The wheels will also be salvaged. I think the engine has water damage too.

Here is the big thing!!! Most of the body is made of 11 gage steel. The thing is really heavy. We dropped it taking it off the truck, and nothing bent of wrinkled.

Here are the first pictures. The first is the way I got it all home in one load. The next two are as it sits here, and the other are pictures the seller sent me that are two years old.

Vzike

Re: Mystery TUB Project

Unread post by Vzike » April 5th, 2017, 10:44 am

I own and drive an Encore. After some comparison, I'm pretty sure that this tub is not and Encore. There are lots of differences. One is the 11 gage sheet metal. The welds are different. The tail gate hinges are for a drop down tailgate, not an door style one.

Inside the passenger side rear fender, you can see the numbers #018 welded into the rear panel. That may be a production number.

The guy I bought if from said he got it from South Carolina. Maybe it is an early Carolina Growler????

It has never been assembled.

The rear suspension mounting holeas are for an A2.

Come on guys, jump in and tell me what this is?

SturmTyger380
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SturmTyger380 » April 5th, 2017, 11:46 am

I sure looks like the one on this page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/troopsupport/151.html
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 5th, 2017, 1:18 pm

It's definitely an Alley Cat. Almost exactly like mine but yours has the cut out for the vent to the heater. Oddly, mine has a heater, but no vent!

Anyway, I believe it was made in Stanton Texas and it appears that you got a really good one. They're built like the Rock of Gibraltar but be wary of the manner in which they ran the wiring harness to the rear (which on mine was far too close to the muffler & exhaust). Also, the fuel tank well will have a tendency to trap and hold dirt which will lead to catastrophic rust issues (despite the thickness of the metal) such as mine had.

If you don't have the tailgate, I can post pics of what mine is equipped with if you like.

Mine also has what I suppose was an optional compressed air tank in the rear bumper.
Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 6th, 2017, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » April 5th, 2017, 1:37 pm

m3a1 wrote:It's definitely an Alley Cat. Almost exactly like mine but yours has the cut out for the vent to the heater. Oddly, mine has a heater, but no vent!

If you don't have the tailgate, I can post pics of what mine is equipped with if you like.

Mine also has what I suppose was an optional air tank rear bumper.
Cheers,
TJ
TJ, Please send the pics of the tailgate. It looks like something I need to fabricate. Thanks!

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » April 5th, 2017, 1:43 pm

TJ, I looked at some of your alley cat pictures, and yours has a rounded entry to the cockpit (where you step in). Mine is squared off. I've seen pictures of titans, and they are similar to this body.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 5th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Yup. I see what you mean. There's a difference in the rear wheel well opening as well. Yours is much better. Mine is "wrong" and I intend to fully resolve that issue but the rear end is exactly like mine and most everything else seems spot on to me. Could be wrong of course as I have no experience with Titans.

Here are some pics of mine taken shortly after I got it home....a long, long time ago.

Placement of this wiring is wrong at a lot of levels!

So that's a brief overview. If you want more detailed pictures of the tailgate I'll try to take some today.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 5th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Ok, everybody. My earlier post was premature. It's a Titan body. Take a look at Hambone's recent pics of his Titan project (under Generic Jeep - Restoration Projects) and see if you agree. I agree with Vzike. I vote - TITAN!

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » April 5th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Vin....square front fender ends, squared door-scoop.....drop-down slide on and off removable tailgate.......it's a Titan......
here's some other photos.....
Ken

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » April 5th, 2017, 9:33 pm

I'm working on one as we speak.

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » April 6th, 2017, 8:14 am

Unread postby Hambone » 05 Apr 2017, 21:33

I'm working on one as we speak.
Does yours have a number welded into the rear/inside of the passenger fender? Also, is yours titled as a Titan?

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » April 6th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Vin
My tag was pop riveted to the firewall, right next to the master cyl fill cap, it was titled in Texas as a 1972 Jeep M151. :roll:

Domino80
civilian

Unread post by Domino80 » August 1st, 2017, 10:29 am

It looks great!

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » August 6th, 2017, 5:13 pm

fellow in texas made the alley cat....looked like that type of body...
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 6th, 2017, 10:48 pm

I've never found any sort of tag on the Alley Cat. My VIN is a Texas Assigned Number, stamped on the top of the cowling right about where the heater intake vent would be.