1974 M151A2 Project

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, Mr. Recovery, raymond, moose53

Re: 1974 M151A2 Project

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: 1974 M151A2 Project

Postby m75 » August 18th, 2017, 4:42 pm

When I get to the point of working on the rear end, I'll advise as to what I find.
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!
m75
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
 
Posts: 264
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 1:01 pm
Location: Antelope Valley, CA

Re: 1974 M151A2 Project

Postby m75 » January 1st, 2018, 6:14 pm

Well, Happy New Year to y'all.

Since the flu shots don't seem to be working, I decided to try a shot of get-off-my-can and managed to reassemble the left side front upper and lower control arms, shock and spindle support. Today I dropped in the passenger side upper and lower, but the ball joint bolts are mostly trashed on the threads so I have to match some fresh ones. Feels good to see the parts coming back together. The passenger side lower arm and ball joint were not exactly matched (these are all new parts) with regards to the hole alignment, and I had to persuade the slight elongation of one hole to allow all of the bolts to pass through. Since most of these things are no longer NOS from original manufacturers, this came as no great shock.

Being New Years Day, not too many places open to source replacement nuts n bolts, so tomorrow I'm a-going shopping. I think a Tractor Supply opened not too far from my place.

Stay tuned!
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!
m75
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
 
Posts: 264
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 1:01 pm
Location: Antelope Valley, CA

Re: 1974 M151A2 Project

Postby m75 » June 24th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Summer 2018.

OK, replacement front differential flushed, re-sealed, painted and re-installed last night. So nice to have the three bolts just drop right through the mount holes, showing those new threads.... ooooohh yeaaahhhh.

Front prop shaft will go on next, cleaned and painted, including the U-joints.

Rear diff will be dropped this afternoon, drained and re-sealed, clean her up and more Rustoleum to head off future rust issues. New bolts to replace the extended ones that were added due to the oversized insulation added by that mysterious former owner.

Fuel tank installed and mostly plumbed. This is an A2 with emissions, so those with non-emissions, count your lucky stars.

All brakes are new except drums and backing plates. New wheels and tires. New lower control arms on all four corners, shocks, steering linkage/pitman, etc.

Rebuilt carb thanks to Rick F. I hope he discovers the secrets of the "locker" differential that came off the front of my truck, after he recovers from surgery. I know a few G838 folks are wondering what lies inside.....

Cosmetically, I'm holding off on all of the bent rocker panels, etc (previously used extensively as a camper trail vehicle) until she coughs to life and takes me off to the local desert for a shakedown cruise. Then I'll drop the POL and refill with new, just because.

I have posted a few threads over the years, asking for advice, help, etc. I have been appreciative of the assistance coming in response, and know that this would have been near impossible without the help of those strange bipeds that share the same interest. Thanks to all!
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!
m75
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
 
Posts: 264
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 1:01 pm
Location: Antelope Valley, CA

Previous

Return to Restoration Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Customization by G838.org
cron