Exhaust pipe hanger

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Exhaust pipe hanger

Unread post by buttanic » October 7th, 2017, 4:02 pm

When I bought this M151A1 the tailpipe was tack welded to the frame where the pipe passes through the rear cross member. I assume there must have been some type of hanger either just before or just after the pipe goes through the cross member but I see no trace of anything ever being there. Looking through the TM's I could not find any illustrations of exactly how the pipe is hung. Any picture of how the pipe is hung would be helpful in fabricating a hanger.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Exhaust pipe hanger

Unread post by m3a1 » October 7th, 2017, 6:43 pm

That hanger is pretty much exactly the same as the rearmost one. Take great care to ensure that the pipe is well-centered in that opening, If it is free to vibrate against the subframe in any way it'll make one heck of a racket. You'll think the last couple of feet of your truck is about to fall off... Don't ask me how I know. :roll:

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » October 7th, 2017, 6:47 pm

There is no hanger in front or behind the cross member, no hangers from the muffler back.. The pipe just rattles around where it gores through the cross member since I cut the tack weld.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 8th, 2017, 11:20 am

Ok, "hang in there" (sorry, I couldn't resist)...I'll go out and take a picture for you.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 8th, 2017, 11:38 am

Ok, here ya go! Click on the photo to get a full view as I've included how the pipe goes through the forward-most hole in the pic. This should give you a better sense of it. The hanger is located just aft of the cross member...not ahead and in this instance, the "hanger" really doesn't hang at all. It comes up from beneath. One of the most notable things about these hangers are they seem to be put on with only one weld! You will see why I mention that in the final photo.

Here's the rear hanger. Like the rest of my truck, this hanger has suffered some abuse. Maybe I should adjust it and lay in another weld on the side opposite to the original weld because, as you can see, it's come away from the cross member. As it is at the moment, clearance between the rear-most flange (for the tail piece) and the frame is at a bare minimum and this could probably use some attention. I can't move it with my hand and make it touch but it is way too close.

By the way, the U-bolts are 1 1/2" width. If your exhaust pipe is distorted you may want to consider going to 1 5/8". I took off an original U bolt and found it to be much smaller than the ones I'm using now...in that the original hardware was something like 1/4" diameter; surprisingly small.

Hope these help!

Cheers,
TJ

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » October 9th, 2017, 10:46 am

Thanks, let the fabrication begin. Is yours an A1 or A2, the rear cross member is a little different. On mine there is a tube welded into the cross member and the exhaust pipe runs through the tube with about 1/4 to 3/8 inch clearance all around.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 9th, 2017, 11:01 am

Mine's an A2. I can't really give you any accurate help with the others. I'm betting you'll find evidence of the old hanger's weld if you look closely.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 9th, 2017, 11:19 am

The A1 has a hanger also, I don't exactly remember where and it is raining but if you need a picture I will get one when the rain stops.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » October 10th, 2017, 10:29 am

I think I have a good enough idea where it was and how it was made.

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » October 11th, 2017, 10:13 am