Fuel cans

Got something you don't need? Sell it here

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Husker
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Fuel cans

Unread post by Husker » October 21st, 2017, 9:12 pm

I have no tie to this site but have bought from them many times and this was a reasonable deal

The cans I received had clean insides but still had some fuel outside had rust stains and lots of peeling paint

Total out about 24 per can shipped

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1249110
US Army Fort Belvoir

19XX M35 something. Sold......
1972 M151A2
1967 M416
On the hunt for an M1031

Challenger2
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Fuel cans

Unread post by Challenger2 » October 23rd, 2017, 6:40 am

I had one of those NATO-style cans on my A2. I wanted a genuine US can preferably dated in the late 70s-80s and in good condition but these are not easy to find in the UK - though there are hundreds of very rusty WW2 cans, all apparently found in that mythical old barn in Normandy.

But... on eBay UK up popped a can described as a 'genuine US Geary (sic) Can'. When the auction ended my opening £1 bid ($1.30) was the only one - perhaps because of the misspelling of Jerry can. I had a 80 mile round trip to pick it up but went with a couple of friends and we made a day of it having a nice lunch by the River Great Ouse. When I got to the guy's house it was a near-mint USMC-made can with the cap and chain, a gasket (split) and dated 1982. The inside was spotless. The guy even had the original GI bendy spout. I couldn't give him just a 'quid' as it would be close to stealing so gave him £5.
He then told me the can wasn't actually his. He drove a truck and one night years ago he ran out of diesel. He called at a house to use the phone and the guy gave him the can filled with diesel and the spout and asked him just to bring it back full when he was next passing!
I hope this Good Samaritan is not reading this! :lol:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 23rd, 2017, 9:35 am

Interesting story but you have to wonder, why didn't the guy just return the can? If he walked to the house to get it it could not have been so far he could drive the can back! I have no time or patience for thieves. Especially ones that profit from their theft, Twice, free fuel and sale of the can. No offense to you Challenger, you had no idea.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Challenger2
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Challenger2 » October 23rd, 2017, 2:12 pm

Hi Rick,
The gas can seller was a truck driver and he was out one night delivering stuff in his truck (or lorry as we Brits call them) when he ran out of diesel in the middle of nowhere.
The 20 litres or so the kindly gent gave him would have got him to a filling station and I guess he just put the jerry can in the cab or trailer and forgot about it and then it was stuck in the back of his shed. I also believe in one good turn...etc, and you have got me thinking that perhaps my lovely gas could be cursed - with spirits!!!! :(
(should have saved this for Halloween)