At gun show in St Charles today and............

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: At gun show in St Charles today and............

Unread post by rickf » December 4th, 2017, 10:46 am

I was really bad in history in high school but weren't the taxes quite high in the late 1700's early 1800's? I thought that was what was driving people to go west? I know inflation average between the late 1920's and now is only 7%! I found that out in Hemmings Motor News while perusing vehicles I am sorry I ever sold!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 4th, 2017, 10:16 pm

rickf wrote:I was really bad in history in high school but weren't the taxes quite high in the late 1700's early 1800's? I thought that was what was driving people to go west? I know inflation average between the late 1920's and now is only 7%! I found that out in Hemmings Motor News while perusing vehicles I am sorry I ever sold!
Taxes were comparatively low. England levied taxes on the colonists to pay for a series of disastrous wars. They also mandated the importation of taxed goods that carried an import tax or tax stamp, rather than allow the domestic production of goods which would not be subject to tax. Thus, colonists were subject to taxes the British were not required to pay. And given that colonists were not directly represented in Parliament, we get the "taxation without representation" saying. The U.S. after independence primarily was a low tax country with few taxes. These were primarily consumption taxes. Most taxes up until the advent of the income tax with the 16th amendment were consumption and excise taxes. I.E. no income taxes, property taxes, or other "fees" masquerading as taxes.

P.S. I got my passport photos, and fingerprint cards done today. Now Pike County is as rural and backward as you can get, but the local Sheriff's office deputy who did my cards says they do every other instance requiring fingerprints electronically. He said he can't believe that the BATFE still uses manually inked paper fingerprint cards. When doing my fingerprints, he really had to press hard to get enough ink as the pads were kind of dried out from lack of use. He said that if Mo can go to electronic fingerprint ID, the only reason the BATFE would not do so for this application is to deliberately slow walk applications for something they do not agree with.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 4th, 2017, 11:34 pm

I got my passport photos, and fingerprint cards done today. Now Pike County is as rural and backward as you can get, but the local Sheriff's office deputy who did my cards says they do every other instance requiring fingerprints electronically. He said he can't believe that the BATFE still uses manually inked paper fingerprint cards. When doing my fingerprints, he really had to press hard to get enough ink as the pads were kind of dried out from lack of use. He said that if Mo can go to electronic fingerprint ID, the only reason the BATFE would not do so for this application is to deliberately slow walk applications for something they do not agree with.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 5th, 2017, 10:43 am

You are getting as bad as me, you post and then go back an houtr later and see the post sitting there and say "damn, I forgot to send that " and hit send again. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could not believe that my pistol purchase permit went through in 6 days! In NJ!!!!!!!!!!!! Even my FFL guy was totally amazed. And the cop I shoot with and who certifies all of the other retired LEO's said it is unheard of. He has to go through the State Police due to where he is located and it takes him months. A retired cop and certified firearms instructor, months to get a permit. You better believe all the ladies in the police department got a very nice Christmas card from me! And a good recommendation to the Mayor who is a friend of mine.
I actually did not have to get fingerprinted since they still had them on record from my firearms id card from 2002. It is strange how laws are different around the country. I seriously doubt, or hope, I never have to deal with the BATF. Since I am in NJ if I have to deal with them it means I did something really bad! I guess if I still held my pyrotechnics license then I would have to deal with them but I let that expire years ago. Commercial fireworks just got too technical and they were no fun to set off anymore. Give me a real fuse any day.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 11th, 2018, 4:14 pm

So when can we see your new M16a1 ? Man I would love to own one.
I do own a Early Colt SP1. !! They too are hard to find under 2K.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 11th, 2018, 11:07 pm

acudanut wrote:So when can we see your new M16a1 ? Man I would love to own one.
Lot of SP1s are used as host guns for transferable auto sears. Personally, I think the SP1 is a better looking firearm than the 16A1, what with the slick side receiver, with no stiffening ribs, no shell deflector, no forward assist, and the hole in the bottom of the pistol grip as an alternative anchor for the sling. Add in an early duckbill or revised three prong flash hider and it is a cool looking firearm.

Not exactly sure when I can take possession of my M16A1.
Depends on how long the BATFE slow walks the application :(
Stupid that this cannot be expedited when I have been checked out many, many times.
In addition to several CMP weapons, my CCW license, my name is or has been on other forms with the BATFE and other agencies ,including other class 3 weapons, a C and R FFL, liquor licenses, interstate hazmat receiver licenses, as well as business contact or registered agent for other business licenses. Most if not all preclude you from holding the permit/license if you are a felon.
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 12th, 2018, 11:02 am

Just for the latest round of pistol permits I got in NJ I have to pay for a background check by the State Police to get the permits and then I have to pay for another background check by the FFL through the State Police again to pick up the gun. Hows that for double dipping? So I bought three guns in three months (Have to wait 30 days between each purchase) and I had to pay for four background checks. And yet WE are the ones that the gun haters want to go after! WE are the ones who are dangerous. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 12th, 2018, 3:54 pm

raymond wrote:
acudanut wrote:So when can we see your new M16a1 ? Man I would love to own one.
Lot of SP1s are used as host guns for transferable auto sears. Personally, I think the SP1 is a better looking firearm than the 16A1, what with the slick side receiver, with no stiffening ribs, no shell deflector, no forward assist, and the hole in the bottom of the pistol grip as an alternative anchor for the sling. Add in an early duckbill or revised three prong flash hider and it is a cool looking firearm.

Not exactly sure when I can take possession of my M16A1.
Depends on how long the BATFE slow walks the application :(
Stupid that this cannot be expedited when I have been checked out many, many times.
In addition to several CMP weapons, my CCW license, my name is or has been on other forms with the BATFE and other agencies ,including other class 3 weapons, a C and R FFL, liquor licenses, interstate hazmat receiver licenses, as well as business contact or registered agent for other business licenses. Most if not all preclude you from holding the permit/license if you are a felon.

Okay, I guess I will trade you.lol
"Lot of SP1s are used as host guns for transferable auto sears" I think that is a myth. You would still have to mill out the lower and drill a hole for the sear.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 16th, 2018, 4:31 pm

My bad :oops: What I was talking about with the SP1 was an AR15 to full auto conversion. While there were some other AR15 manufacturers prior to the 86 deadline, Colt was almost the only game in town. And if you wanted to do a conversion, the SP1 was essentially the only game in town.

There are also registered auto sears and it can get real complicated what is and is not legal and what can be moved and cannot be moved and what the legal status of a lower receiver that has been drilled to host a standard full auto sear is. Consult an attorney versed in such matters.

Then there is the drop in auto sears (DIAS) but that is a whole other discussion. Essentially the DIAS can be put in any compatible firearm without drilling the hole for a regular auto sear, and it, not the firearm, is the "machine gun".

I did find a couple of SP1 conversions.

https://dealernfa.com/shop/colt-ar15-sp ... -sp184448/
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/736222086
https://www.gunsamerica.com/927233894/A ... porter.htm
https://www.gunsamerica.com/963659147/F ... uto-22.htm

Raymond
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 16th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a full auto weapon? Let alone pay that much for it. I carried one in the service and I fired it full auto only when needed to make the enemy keep their heads down in combat. I was taught one shot one kill and I lived by that as much as possible. M60's did not have select fire and were full auto all the time but I could squeeze of one shot with no problem and I was pretty damn accurate with it. I think Mr. R will appreciate what I am saying since he was on an award winning M60 team.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 16th, 2018, 9:00 pm

20K to me is a rip off. I hope you did not pay anywhere near that amount for your M16a1.
Full auto is fun, just not practical in a firefight.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 17th, 2018, 8:44 am

rickf wrote:Just out of curiosity, why would you want a full auto weapon? Let alone pay that much for it.

Because it is my right as an American citizen.

And since no new ones can be introduced into the public market, the price of one never goes down. My FNC is now worth quite a bit more than I paid for it.
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 17th, 2018, 8:48 am

acudanut wrote:20K to me is a rip off. I hope you did not pay anywhere near that amount for your M16a1.
Full auto is fun, just not practical in a firefight.

20k only gets you a conversion or a second tier manufactured M16. For a Colt genuine M16, expect to pay a premium. I found a NIB NOS unfired (except for the factory proof fire) one. I got the type of deal that would be considered pretty good even if it was a good used one. :D
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 19th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Just heard today that my paperwork finally went through :D :D :D :D
Can pick up Thursday or Friday :D :D :D :D
Pictures to follow :D :D :D :D
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 19th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Yee-Ha; Now you can put it in a glass case and look at it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed