M151a2 questions

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Saberr
civilian

Re: M151a2 questions

Unread post by Saberr » December 13th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Here are a few more pics, as requested. I'm sorry if i mislead you, but i drove my m38a1 at 55mpg and it has a rated top speed of 60. Never went over 55, didn't want to chance anything, and it took a bit to even get there :). Also i misused cruise. What i mean more is burst of 30 - 45 min or less at 60, but cruise around at 45 - 50 around town. Also this will not be a daily driver. Use it on weekends, around town, and the late night gallon of milk run. Use it off road only a couple times a year, im just not in a location that has many accessible dirt roads around that aren't private. Everything fun is about hour plus away. Also i am aware of the cut out on driver side, that was done so his older father could get in and out. Have the cut out piece and when was cut, no damage to floor, easy re-weld piece back in.
Image Image Image Image Image

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 14th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Welcome to the G. If you are interested:

www.m151bodypanels.com

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 14th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Judging from the bends in the passenger side dashboard I would bet that it has been at least up on it's side if not over. That could explain the windshield.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Saberr
civilian

Unread post by Saberr » December 15th, 2017, 2:14 am

LoL, i would not doubt it. My m38a1 was a drop trainer, talk about some interesting stories. What would you guys ball park what this m151a2 is worth ? Is the loudness bad enough that its irritating or just uncomfortable/annoying. I've never heard a gamma goat sounds, so i'm trying to get a reference. Would deff be running freeway flyers and most likely using rubber insulators. Would the canvas really increase the sound ? I remember a guy mentioning on all jeeps, its quietess when the window is folded down so no resistance. Interesting, i just saw that you guys figured out its an am general, that's a bit of a bumber, espec since there is no serials in any of the am general areas, read up on the serial locations post before going, under grill is only place i didn't get to check.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 15th, 2017, 10:50 am

Let me try to put the noise in perspective. Have you ever been in a more modern Jeep with big Super Swamper tires on it? Going 60 MPH down the highway? About the same amount of noise but a bit higher pitched. It is not going to make you deaf, it is not what I, personally, would call unpleasant. It is not something I would want to try to travel every day in and hold a long conversation with the passenger in but for the once in a while trip it is fine. Putting the rubber insulators on the diff mounts from what I have heard does not really reduce the noise all that much. One thing that has the be determined is if the noise is from the rear or the transmission. The transmission can have a bad bearing and the noise travels down the driveshaft to the rear and into the body. The best way to diagnose this is to swap the front and back differentials since the front is not used much and is usually in like new condition. If the loud noise stays then it could be the transmission. It usually pays to go to some shows and try to get a ride in someones 151 to get a feel for them before buying if you are unsure of what you want. Where are you located? Maybe there is someone on here near you.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 15th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Wow, I'm reading and this thread is all over the place.

I'm going to jump in on the noise issue because I have been to see that elephant. From what I've read, almost everything has been touched on so far. These trucks are just naturally noisy even when everything is A-OK because the unibody is a sounding board for every vibration. Older trucks are worse because time has crept up on them and there are going to be a lot of things that vibrate. The chief sources of noise (as opposed to causes) are the rear floorboard and the hood, followed closely by the fenders; basically any of the large flat panels.

You can dampen a lot of drive-line noise just by putting a mat or a bag of whatever-you-like in the back. The hood is just one of those things that has to be properly adjusted with good rubber insulating pads atop the grille, all your cables (particularly the choke) down and off the inside of the hood and the air cleaner intake out of contact with the hood. Even if everything is right with the mounting of the hood, it will still resonate at certain frequencies.

Drive-line noise can come from anything in the drive-line and this means you have to get under there and inspect everything bumper-to-bumper, give all the components a good tug to make sure things that shouldn't wobble aren't wobbling, lube what needs lubing, replace what is deficient. I'm looking at your pictures and can say without a doubt that there is maintenance that needs to be done under there.

For the big ticket items (such as differentials) well, if you find your rear diff is a wreck, your truck has a spare right up front and as Rick said, they're usually in very good shape inside because they just haven't seen much use. The good news is, R&R-ing differentials is a ridiculously easy job and will cost you nothing but your time.

Cheers,
TJ

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 15th, 2017, 4:35 pm

I have no issue to jump in my 151 and drive it for 300 miles. I don't do it often but I have done it. My differentials, as well as most of the rest of the driveline have 4.000 miles since new, I got it with 82 miles. So I have a fairly good impression how these trucks did run right of the factory line. They are quite noisy but not screaming loud. (My 911 with gutted interior is way louder).

What was really annoying was the transfer case, specifically coasting along. The transmission is a take-out as my original box was rusted due to 30 years storage in the open at Barstow. Rebuilding the transfer only is totally possible and quite easy. I have a thread here in which I describe just doing the transfer with the power pack still installed. That work was a very good return of investment. In your case, as you will have to pull the power pack anyway, even if you don't touch the transmission, get the transfer done. If you are getting hold of the parts (intermediate shaft with rollers is one set, needle bearing for input shaft), it is probably not more work than 90 minutes with a removed tranny.

Next thing I did, idea came from this board, I put a flexible hose in front of the muffler. The exhaust design is not too clever. The engine-transmission is sitting on rubber mounts but the exhaust muffler and pipes are bolted directly to the unibody. As such all vibration of the engine is transmitted by the exhaust into the body. A flexible hose, available on ebay for next to nothing, fixes that a little bit and cuts down noise.

I practically never run my truck with a top and I don't have side curtains or doors. With a fully closed top, I am pretty sure you can't describe it as noisy anymore, no, it is just very loud then.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 15th, 2017, 8:00 pm

I run mine with the full soft top and it is not bad at all. I think the rounded angles of the soft top do a lot to mitigate the noise. A hard top is a totally different story. I rode in one one time with a hard top and the best way to describe it is to put a lawn mower in an empty dumpster and then you go in afterwards and start the mower.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Saberr
civilian

Unread post by Saberr » December 17th, 2017, 1:31 am

I live in southern California, between sand Diego and LA. Relay no shows around here, there all in mid ca.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Excellent post, Horst and I don't want to hijack the thread but, soft-mounting the exhaust could be a fun project and one with much promise. Not long ago I had a loose clamp on my exhaust, not the last one, but the one ahead of it and it sounded, quite literally, like the rear of the tub was about to shake loose. All that noise because of one....stupid....clamp. Of course, my A2 was rode hard and put up wet in its latter days and I am still finding things that need my attention and I won't even go into that 51 Willys that's sitting in my driveway right now.

I hope everyone finds something OD green under their tree this Christmas. 5 days to go!

Cheers,
TJ