Brake Hardware Question

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Brake Hardware Question

Unread post by raymond » January 7th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I have rust colored brake hardware. I assume they can be used with both types of shoes. :?
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

surpdlr
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by surpdlr » January 8th, 2018, 9:46 am

rickf wrote:OK, FINALLY, a definitive answer to the question.
I can see where this could be an issue with new drums and the new shoes if they are thicker. You might not be able to get the drums over the shoes due to the adjusters not coming in far enough. My drums were not new so that is probably why I did not have any problems. So basically it is not a safety issue as much as it is a fitment issue. That should make a lot of people that are running the white adjuster with bonded shoes feel better. I know I have the white springs but to be perfectly honest I am not sure about the adjusters, I am going to guess they are also the white ones since the hardware was all bought as a kit many years ago.
I have posted this info more times than I can remember over the years, staring on the old MilVeh email list and onto the G503 list.....

Rick, you have missed an important point and that is DRAGGING brakes. Just because a drum can be forced over the shoes does not mean it can be correctly adjusted, especially if the drum has high spots or is out of round!

TACOM did not do this redesign for the heck of it!!! They did it for safety and compatibility.

And once again, the ONLY part of this that changes or is being talked about is the Adjuster, and the Adjuster return spring. This affects NONE of the rest of the brake hardware!!! Please see the photos I attached earlier.
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES
WRIGHTSVILLE PA
717-252-4489

M151 2B6965 DOD DEC 1960 / BODY # 493 (Amongst others)
INDIAN 741
INDIAN 841
MATCHLESS G3
MATCHLESS G3L
AND SEVERAL OTHER WHEELED AND TRACKED TOYS!!

MVPA #1833
IMPS #1726
MVT #9362

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 8th, 2018, 10:40 am

Jeff, I didn't miss the point, I actually had to adjust mine out to get the proper adjustment. I understand the reasoning for the change and if you have all new parts then you will have to use the new adjusters. If you are going out today to buy adjusters then by all means buy the blue adjusters. What I am saying is if you have the white ones and they are working fine with no drag or fitment issues then it is not a safety issue.
On a street driven car I will replace the hardware and springs every time I do a brake job. I did this in my shop when I was in business. It is sort of moot point now since there are no drum brakes out there except for antiques and a very few cars on the road. I actually just did that with my wife's 95 Honda Civic. But on a 54 year old military vehicle that gets driven less than a thousand miles a year I seriously doubt I will ever wear out a set of brakes in the time I own the vehicle so replacing the hardware would have to be for some other reason. Unless it is a safety issue or there is a problem then I am not going to take it all apart and throw new parts in it.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

surpdlr
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by surpdlr » January 8th, 2018, 10:59 am

rickf wrote:Jeff, I didn't miss the point, I actually had to adjust mine out to get the proper adjustment. I understand the reasoning for the change and if you have all new parts then you will have to use the new adjusters. If you are going out today to buy adjusters then by all means buy the blue adjusters. What I am saying is if you have the white ones and they are working fine with no drag or fitment issues then it is not a safety issue.
On a street driven car I will replace the hardware and springs every time I do a brake job. I did this in my shop when I was in business. It is sort of moot point now since there are no drum brakes out there except for antiques and a very few cars on the road. I actually just did that with my wife's 95 Honda Civic. But on a 54 year old military vehicle that gets driven less than a thousand miles a year I seriously doubt I will ever wear out a set of brakes in the time I own the vehicle so replacing the hardware would have to be for some other reason. Unless it is a safety issue or there is a problem then I am not going to take it all apart and throw new parts in it.
For what it is worth, over the years, I have seen 2 GMC CCKW's and 1 WC Dodge with original springs have a breakage in a brake return spring. Springs looked fine, just broke because they could. For me, If I am doing a brake job, as you pointed out, replacing old springs with NEW springs is a GOOD plan. Then you know what you have!
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
WRIGHTSVILLE PA
717-252-4489

INDIAN 741
INDIAN 841
MATCHLESS G3
MATCHLESS G3L

MVPA #1833
IMPS #1726
MVT #9362

surpdlr
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by surpdlr » January 8th, 2018, 10:59 am

rickf wrote:Jeff, I didn't miss the point, I actually had to adjust mine out to get the proper adjustment. I understand the reasoning for the change and if you have all new parts then you will have to use the new adjusters. If you are going out today to buy adjusters then by all means buy the blue adjusters. What I am saying is if you have the white ones and they are working fine with no drag or fitment issues then it is not a safety issue.
For what it is worth, over the years, I have seen 2 GMC CCKW's and 1 WC Dodge with original springs have a breakage in a brake return spring. Springs looked fine, just broke because they could. For me, If I am doing a brake job, as you pointed out, replacing old springs with NEW (EDIT - Un Used) springs is a GOOD plan. Then you know what you have!
Last edited by surpdlr on January 8th, 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
WRIGHTSVILLE PA
717-252-4489

INDIAN 741
INDIAN 841
MATCHLESS G3
MATCHLESS G3L

MVPA #1833
IMPS #1726
MVT #9362

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 8th, 2018, 11:39 am

Good point, I should have pointed out that the springs in mine were replaced about ten or fifteen years ago. 50 year old springs are a disaster looking to happen. Metal fatigue happens.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » January 8th, 2018, 11:43 am

hmnn, I better change my habits as I've never replaced the brake springs when replacing the shoes.I thought the old day springs were better build than the new stuff
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 8th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Now that everyone is clued-up about the use of the correct spring and adjuster set-up for the brakes..... do you know that your brake shoes will tell you when they need changing? You didn't? It's true.

The bonded shoes have an implant which, when the shoes wear down sufficiently, will make a squealing sound when the brakes are applied. This "brass" squealer is described in the May 1982 version of the TM9-2320-218-20.
There are only two drawbacks to this ingenious system.... first, it will take ages before the shoes wear down enough to squeal and second, by the time you've driven all those miles, you'll be too deaf to hear the squeal.
Ken :D
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 8th, 2018, 2:44 pm

What?

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » January 10th, 2018, 12:31 am

I just replaced riveted shoes with bonded and the bonded were thinner than the riveted. Being I never had to fully retract the white adjusters with either type I can't see an issue.