Who found a Mutt Lately

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

Who found a Mutt Lately

Unread post by acudanut » January 9th, 2018, 3:16 pm

I read somewhere someone found a Mutt on Craigslist listed in hunting and camping. "army jeep". But I can't find now. ?

Surveyor
Terminal

Re: Who found a Mutt Lately

Unread post by Surveyor » January 10th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Don't remember reading that one but another way that you might stumble on a good deal is to purposely misspell your searches or transpose numbers.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 11th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Anyway, always looking to read peoples stories about their recent Mutt finds. Or ones they passed up on.
Cheers

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 13th, 2018, 12:54 pm

****NOT ME****
First time trying to post pics so here it goes.

Just picked up this A2 off of craigslist. It was listed under “ sporting goods”“bad ass Army jeep”.has full hard top and soft top. Runs good but non original gas tank. Came with a truck load of spare parts, mostly junk bust some good. What do you think about the LED lights?

https://postimg.org/gallery/2vvybi0au/

Great story though !! Cheers

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 13th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Same LED headlights I have on mine. I like mine.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » January 13th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Did you buy it? Looks in really good shape.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 13th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Hambone.. It's not mine. I found it under "favorite pictures".
A guy in Texas screen name "UDTDAVE". bought it. Our "boss" rick here knows more about it, than me. He loaded the pic's. :D
Cheers

UDTDave
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by UDTDave » January 16th, 2018, 12:52 am

Ya, that is mine. Put some new parts, tires, and seat cushions on it and runs like a top. Found original numbers on the front bumper and original paint on the hardtop. Cool vehicle. Frickin cold in Texas right now. I should have put the heater back in. Thought who needs a heater in Texas. Cheers!
1944 MB sold
M37A1 sold

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 16th, 2018, 10:24 am

acudanut wrote:Hambone.. It's not mine. I found it under "favorite pictures".
A guy in Texas screen name "UDTDAVE". bought it. Our "boss" rick here knows more about it, than me. He loaded the pic's. :D
Cheers
I stopped being a boss when I retired! I guess I was a good boss because since I retired 2 years ago six of my guys have quit and moved on to other jobs.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 27th, 2018, 2:15 pm

I may or may not have a future story. (I found a Mutt) Plan on picking it up Tuesdays. Picks coming if the deal goes through. !!

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 31st, 2018, 3:23 am

I picked it up. Guess What It is Fuel injected. AND...One of two made by Ford.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 31st, 2018, 3:33 pm

Another good read. I borrowed it.

Lacking transportation when I arrived in Fort Sherman, Panama for a 6 month stint ('91-92 post invasion) as an instructor for Jungle School, I spied a M151A1 in the motorpool painted red....among all the (then) new HUMVEEs. I asked, and found out this MUTT had belonged to a Major that had to leave the command very abruptly (later I found out the Commander had issues as well, likely one darn good reason for him to get out of there) he had abandoned his repatriated Ex-Panamanian MUTT which was towed to the motorpool on post. As it was a Privately Owned Vehicle, the motorpool SFC wanted nothing to do with it.
Naturally, having too much free time in the early weeks of arrival with one work van for 6-8 officers, I asked if I could get it running and the SFC said sure, :lol: laughing that I would even try...

Next opportunity, I went over to the PX, bought a decent socket set, adjustable wrench and screwdrivers, then headed across the Isthmus to the Quarry Heights (or Balboa) cannibalization point, pulled off a carb, alternator and odds and ends off two or three A2's they had there that I knew the MUTT needed, returned out to Fort Sherman on the Atlantic side and proceeded to install the alternator, carb, etc. I recall the wiring issue, but merely took parts of the old harness and removed the regulator from it's participation, and finished up. Never had a real chance to run down the batteries to see if it was not hooked up correctly.

I got it running and drove it around a full 4 hours with a bunch of us heading out to the beach and back before we were ordered to park it as it was not insured and not our, etc. The next day the Colonel had a piece of me explaining, etc. but within two days.....we were issued another rental van to help move us around. Wonder what ever happened to that MUTT, things don't get tossed away too much in places where there's not a lot of resources, I'm sure it's still running around somewhere down there.
V/R W Winget

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 31st, 2018, 9:42 pm

Images sent from Gunny... these came through. There were other emails but no attachments, may be my service provider having a hiccup.

Last edited by Surveyor on February 1st, 2018, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » February 1st, 2018, 7:02 am

I think the technical manual defines an underbody like that as "Painted Fog".
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » February 1st, 2018, 9:43 am

I understand this is Ford engine but actually not a M151 engine, correct? Prototype done by Ford,
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga