Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Fuel System Issue

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » March 25th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Hi All,

thanks for all your reply.
I had already the case that in the middle of an cross road the Jeep stop and not start again. Nice stay in the middle of the cross road in Vietnam. :-)
Luckily one guy helped me to move the Jeep together with me out of the cross road center and lucky that the next gasoline station was just 10 meter away. In Vietnam is it easy to get help from people around if you have any trouble. That's a nice thing here. (By the way I'm a German who life in Vietnam).
So now back to the topic. I tried the weekend to open my fuel tank and lucky how I am only one screw I can't open at all. I try to get oil into it, cleaner etc. but look like the screw is like welded to the part. No move at all. I must go the hard way to get it open. Huhuhuhu.... :evil:
I don't have the right tools yet and need time to get it done but I did in this time my installation of the M16 mounting kit, replace my damage wind shield washing pump and also the not original fuel pipes.
All the parts I order by the way from USA and not from China because I know the quality is lousy.

Give a new update as. soon I have something new done. Cheers so far.
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » March 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm

What a German doing in Vietnam ?

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » March 25th, 2018, 10:20 pm

I working here since 2005.
I'm a foreman in plastic injection and worked before for one German company here in VN to inject soccer plates for later to make shoes.
Now I have switched to a Danish company for inject outdoor furniture's. I have set up the factory for them and now I'm in R&D for plastic projects also still in VN. Time here run very fast.
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » March 25th, 2018, 11:02 pm

I would like to visit there sometime. Don't you miss your Home back in Europe ?
Back to the subject. Carry extra gas cans and look into the fuel tank and visually see how much fuel you have left. Or carry a wooden dowel and insert it into tank to measure. (my 2 cents)
How much driving do you do that you are worried so much about fuel?

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » March 26th, 2018, 12:45 am

Your are welcome to visit me and my Mutt if you are in Ho Chi Minh City.
Let me know what is your plan and let's meet. Yes I missing sometimes my home town in Germany and the German sorted and discipline way. hihhihihi.... But it's have also advantages here. No big politics everyone life in peace beside and don't care so much from where you come from or religion you have. You are close to nice beaches and nice areas. Best. No cold winters. Yea.

Anyway I will try something more out to get it maybe run if not I will check like all others do visual or with wood stick. :-)
I drive sometimes on the weekend with my family around and also to beach side. So means a trip can be more the 200 - 300 km what you need nearly one day to drive because of road and traffic conditions. Still the road/traffic infrastructure is not good enough to drive fast from A to B.
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 26th, 2018, 8:20 am

There is a fairly large M-151 club there. They used to be called the Saigon Jeep club and I think they went to the Vietnam Jeep club. If you run into them they could be very helpful. One of our members here does business over there and comes over on a regular basis and also we have a member who lives there who is originally from Scotland I believe? Jon is his name but he has not been on the forum for some time. Csmith is the member that does business over there, here is his member info. Send him a PM and he may be able to hook you up with people there that can help you out. http://www.g838.org/memberlist.php?mode ... file&u=753
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » March 26th, 2018, 8:04 pm

I check for Jeep clubs and find out there are now together (look like) because it is only one website called now: OTO SAIGON CLUB. This is only in VN language and all I can see is that they are mostly post everything now on Facebook. I don't have it.
My guy who repair my Jeep and make the body work on it is in the club but if I ask him about he say nothing. Even I asking one other member who make my Jeep papers he say the club meet not regularly and if they meet there drinking only coffee or do something else. If you want to make real tours then the OFF ROAD CLUB is more interesting because they organize jungle trips over more days every second month or organize events so far I understood. Mostly around Dalat because this is pure off road there.
Anyway thanks for the info and will try to get in contact with Csmith.
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » April 16th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I would like to give you an short update over my findings during the last post.
I have destroyed one screw of the fuel tank top because everything what I have tried was not working. So I drill the screw head off and now the fuel tank is open.
My first look inside shows me that the sender unit are free swimming and not touch anything in the fuel tank t block or change the signal to the gauge.
After testing by hand and I came always to the same result I think the only failure are now the RANGE of the sender unit. Even if I measure the correct resistance 0 for empty and 33 ohm for full on the sender unit the gauge didn't show full. Means that the range of the sender unit is not enough and the arm of the sender unit is already on the end of the spiral inside the sender unit. It's can't be get more.
My question now is there some other send unit with higher range existing? I saw one picture who shows a shorter and one longer sender unit but unfavorable it's show not the resistance range.
Hope someone can give me a good new hinge of that. Otherwise the gauge work fine and shows that the gauge go down to empty if it's nearly empty. The only thing it's never will show full and need to wait until the gauge needle will go down because this is working. Empty is empty. :-)
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2