This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

transfer case

Unread post by incoming » May 1st, 2018, 10:15 pm

Greetings gentlemen,
I have a MUTT that would not go into gear and just grinded. I discussed this in an earlier post. I followed your advice and put the MUTT in first then started it with the clutch pushed in. It lurched forward. Did it two more times and the clutch started working again. Pulled the dust cover and had a friend push the clutch in. Everything seemed to work as designed with the clutch disengaging from the flywheel by about an eight of an inch when pushed. I decided to pull the engine and have a look at the clutch assembly. Pulled the tranny and bell housing off the powerpack and have not had time to look at the clutch thoroughly. Will get to it soon. BUT, I really wanted to look at the rod that engages the four wheel drive since the four wheel drive has not worked since I purchased the vehicle two years ago. Both clips and the spring are on the rod and the shifter moves them forward and backward. What I noticed is that the fork (if that is what it is called) does not move toward the back of the transfer case when you push the shifter forward to engage four wheel drive. I guess my question is what is supposed to happen when rod pushes back into the transfer case and the spring is loaded as designed, by the clip on the rod. My apologies for any confusion in my description. I am not a mechanic and am trying to feel my way through this. I thank you, in advance, for any information. By the way, I am viewing the rod through the access window on the side of the transfer case. Am not brave enough to take the back of the case off where the handbrake assembly is.

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: transfer case

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » May 2nd, 2018, 7:02 am

There are 2 snap rings or cir-clips that locate and position the fork onto the shaft. The fork moves with the shaft to engage a dog clutch to put power to the front output. I had the same issue with my first MUTT way back in the mid 1980s. As I recall, discussing this with Phil Nelson, he handed me a repair kit in a typical military pack brown paper box with the contents inside in a sealed paper sleeve. This must have been a common problem back then to have a repair kit available from a jeep surplus dealer. Here is a parts view http://www.surplusjeep.com/M151/group_8_transfer.htm
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 2nd, 2018, 8:57 am

Sounds like the clutch plate was rusted to the flywheel and it popped loose as you were playing with it, problem solved there. The rust will wear off and it should be good to go but since you already have it out you might as well replace it. The transfer case, what Dave said. My theory is that the clips get rammed off by young privates that have never driven a four wheel drive and try to strongarm that shifter.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » May 2nd, 2018, 9:24 am

You mentioned the cir clips are there, are they in the groove?

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » May 2nd, 2018, 10:56 am

D Pizzoferrato wrote: This must have been a common problem back then to have a repair kit available from a jeep surplus dealer.
It certainly looks like a regular occurrence. The problem made it into PS magazine. See below:-

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by incoming » May 2nd, 2018, 12:52 pm

The clips are in their grooves but it appears that the spring tension is not enough to force the fork backward into the part the engages the four wheel drive, or there is something blocking it from engaging. I will have to look into the transfer repair kit and see what I can find. Any advice on "not to do's " when I take the rear of the transfer case off?

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » May 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » May 2nd, 2018, 7:03 pm

Pat
Check the tech manual -34, mine is Jan. 1972, if you don't have it, you can check it out on the manuals here on the site. Go the chapter 8, pg. 8-1, start there, if it's in the fork linkage, looks like an easy fix, let us know how we can help, we don't need a stranded MUTT'r.

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by incoming » May 2nd, 2018, 9:03 pm

Well, the good news first. Pulled the clutch and pressure plate today and I'll be danged. There was half of a clutch plate spring lodged in between it and the flywheel. The spring was chewed up pretty bad. I ordered an NOS clutch kit for $110 and a gasket kit for the tranny.

I am not sure how to go about fixing the four wheel drive. I have a strange need to understand how and what the fork engages to make the output shaft turn for the front wheels. I actually ordered the 34 manual (I prefer hardcopies) after spending a considerable amount of time looking over the e-manual on this site. Maybe I'm inept at translating exploded diagrams, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what is keeping that fork from engaging rearward under spring pressure from the shaft it is on. What does the fork engage into or into? It looks like I will have to take the tranny apart to get to the bottom of the case where the transfer shaft, the fork, and the output shaft live?

Thanks again for any info.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » May 2nd, 2018, 9:33 pm

Get down to around Lafayette often? I got an old one I replaced just taking up space. Rusted up but it might be useful if you want to use it for seeing how things are supposed to go together before you work on your "good" one? Yours for free if you want it. I banged on it a bit to get out and keep the forward shaft to use for lining up clutch. Didn't mess with the parts you are interested in.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by incoming » May 2nd, 2018, 10:08 pm

Thanks for the offer Surveyor. Situation at home right now prevents me from leaving town (no, I am not on probation or parole!) anytime soon. I'm rethinking how important it is for the four wheel drive to be operable since she doesn't leave the pavement much. Again, thank you for your generous offer!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 2nd, 2018, 10:27 pm

Let's save this fella some heartache. Now might be a very good time to discuss, once again, what is and what is NOT an oil-fill plug (you know the one I mean) and I don't have a good photo to show. Anyone?

Cheers,
TJ

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » May 3rd, 2018, 5:19 am

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 3rd, 2018, 7:43 am

How, or why, did we go from the transfer shifter to the reverse idler shaft? Now he will REALLY be confused!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » May 3rd, 2018, 7:44 am

incoming wrote: I am not sure how to go about fixing the four wheel drive. I have a strange need to understand how and what the fork engages to make the output shaft turn for the front wheels. I actually ordered the 34 manual (I prefer hardcopies) after spending a considerable amount of time looking over the e-manual on this site. Maybe I'm inept at translating exploded diagrams, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what is keeping that fork from engaging rearward under spring pressure from the shaft it is on. What does the fork engage into or into?
In the link I gave above, the fork engages the dog clutch (36). When shifted, the clutch slides rearward, connecting the front output shaft (37) to the rear output shaft (31). The spring (13) is to allow the fork to be resilient enough to let the clutch engagement be rejected (slip) until the precise time that the dogs are aligned. This allows shift on the fly. Without the spring, you would be attempting to mesh 2 objects, moving at different speeds, with no means of synchronization.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com