M16a1

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

M16a1

Unread post by raymond » June 22nd, 2018, 3:30 pm

This is my "new" M16a1 that you read about in another thread.
Just got it yesterday.
This post is pic heavy.

Box

Hand written ser# on end. I am told this is the way all M16s are labelled.

cleaning kit etc.

sling

2 20 round magazines

More of the box

muzzle cap

paper barrel liner impregnated with rust preventative

Receiver markings. First couple I highlighted with a flashlight.

upper receiver markings

Down the upper receiver

Here you can see the auto sear sticking up behind the hammer as well as the axis pin it rides on. Having a semi receiver with this axis pin hole drilled without the proper paperwork gets you a trip to Leavenworth Kansas.

bolt and latch

forward assist

rear sights and markings

front sight and "up" marking

Area around The M16A2 has more reinforcing here.

barrel markings

Pistol grip. Notice it still has the notch for affixing a D ring here for the sling.

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: M16a1

Unread post by raymond » June 22nd, 2018, 4:11 pm

Quick observation. It is remarkable how lightweight this is. Feels and handles lighter than a 16 inch M4 with flat top receiver and no carry handle or sight installed.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 22nd, 2018, 4:36 pm

They're not all that heavy anyway but, with that full stock it probably has a nice balance.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 22nd, 2018, 8:35 pm

I was just talking to my FFL guy about your 16 today and he was drooling. Now I am going to have to bring this page up for him. When you said new in the box I did not realize it was NOS with all of the original goodies with it! That is a once in a lifetime score there. Now learn how to take in focus pictures so you can fully document it clearly!!!!!!! :roll: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will be picking up my Ruger 8500 next week sometime but mine doesn't have the magic switch on it. And in NJ I lose the bayonet lug, the flash hider and the adjustable stock.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » June 26th, 2018, 1:02 am

Beautiful man, congrats! I have a RDIAS so I get to play too =)

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 2nd, 2018, 9:07 pm

My daughter and I fired several hundred rounds of .22lr CCI AR Tactical today on full auto through a CMMG .22lr upper with auto sear trip and bounce weight. Have polished the rails and bolt where the rails ride. Polished the chamber and feed ramp. Also polished the area of bolt where it cocks the hammer and polished and sharpened the firing pin and firing pin channel. Installed a Taccom operating rod spring and pressure plug that installs in front of the buffer weight. Used a Redi Mag Smith and Wesson Better Mag adapter so I could use the highly reliable Smith and Wesson MP 15/22 magazines. Wish there was a way to slow it down. Sounds like a mosquito. Talk about fun :D :D :D :D :D :D
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 6th, 2018, 9:29 am

Rate of fire like a minigun? 4500-6000 rounds per minute. Did some sighting in at 200 yards the other day with mine and got it down to 4 in 3/4 inch and one flyer out to one inch. Was going to put up a new target and finish up but I had been grading the road for 8 hours in 97 degree heat and I was done, I wasn't walking up and down that range anymore! Going down tomorrow to stone the road and will be taking the gun down but don't know if I will get time to shoot. I want to move it out to 300 yards. That is the limit of that range, and my old eyes! By the way, this is with open sights.

1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » July 7th, 2018, 1:28 am

Stopped going to XTC matches some years back, way before 4x scopes came into being legal. For older eyes there were Bob Jones lenses to help keep front post in focus or the microsight was just hitting the market to help keep the front post AND the target in focus at the same time. Never used a micro but i found a small + Jones lense helped.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/816 updated link to sr model.

Edit.... and nice snag Ray.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin