Mine died today

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Mine died today

Unread post by Hambone » July 8th, 2018, 7:43 am

If it didn't hit by injecting fuel directly into the carb and you have a good spark, I would double check the timing. Pull the carb off and spray a couple squirts of gas directly into the intake, I wouldn't rebuild that carb until I got the engine to hit.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 9th, 2018, 9:53 pm

I'm beginning to think he has a timing issue of some kind.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » July 9th, 2018, 10:45 pm

It may sound basic but By any chance did you take out the distributor and reinstall it 180 degrees out?

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » July 9th, 2018, 10:58 pm

We also wonder about the timing, however it seems unlikely that could change after driving a while, then park and try to restart. We have checked by the position of number 1 piston and the rotor which is correct. Currently working on getting my timing light functional to confirm (or otherwise) it is correct.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 10th, 2018, 11:08 am

Have you tried a clean set of plugs? Injecting gas with a squirt bottle will flood it in seconds and after that the plugs are crap. You can try heating them up with a torch to burn out the deposits but do not get the threads or especially the ground electrode red hot. You just want to burn out the gas residue that is left behind on the porcelain.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 10th, 2018, 11:43 am

I'm just going to throw this out as food for thought. There was a guy on youtube (Jalopnik, I think) and he was attempting to drive a very weary old flat-fender up to MOAB. Ultimately, the engine died (no surprise there if you happened to see the video) and no amount of coaxing would get it to start. In the final analysis, the timing gear (a composite material of some type) had come disconnected from its center hub, so effectively the top half of the engine wasn't in time with the bottom half. In his case, the ignition timing was set correctly (but remember, that's coming off the bottom half of the engine) but the compression was pretty much non-existent.

Now, before someone states the obvious, I am not attempting to equate our engines with that of the early Go Devil motors in any way. What I am trying to illustrate is, when all the obvious stuff seems to be right and has been double checked, it is time to start looking at the not-so-obvious stuff.

Like the old saying goes - When you hear hoof-beats, think of horses, not zebras. But if no horses come by, start looking for zebras.

So, it seems to me the easiest thing to do to eliminate a jumped-time issue would be to check that compression over all four cylinders.

Cheers,
TJ

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » July 14th, 2018, 3:13 am

Another sad, frustrating day. We have four timing lights and have had trouble getting them to work (all work on a GPW). Finally one worked long enough to check the timing and it is spot on, so there is one issue resolved. However, we still have problems getting any of the timing lights to work consistently despite having a nice spark when we remove one of the plugs and earth its body. Once more pulled down the distributor and checked everything, even put the new shiny coil in but no difference. Checked the battery voltage at 23.6V under load from the starter so that seems OK.

All we can think of now is that maybe there is a distributor fault. Have checked for cracks, tracks and (can't think of a rhyming word) other things but nothing appears wrong. I am going to ask a guy in Brisbane if he has a spare he can lend me to check that out.

My mate who has been working with me is a diesel mechanic but has lots of experience rebuilding GPWs, blitz buggies, etc but we have another mate coming over on Tuesday who is an old school car mechanic who may pick up on something...

In the meantime open to suggestions?

Howard :(
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » July 14th, 2018, 6:48 am

hi

i have not reed the whole story

if you use a timing lite it must have the 12v from the mutt
it use the ground

can you turn the rotorarm a bit by hand
if you let it loose it must go back at his begin point
if not meybe the two spring from the advance are broken
if so the timing can more than 40 degree off

greetings george

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 14th, 2018, 7:37 am

The bit about the timing lights all not working sounds to me like a clue, it sounds like you do not have consistent spark. Have you replaced the capacitor, or better yet, bypassed it on the inlet of the distributor?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 14th, 2018, 9:45 am

A standard timing light will not work on a shielded ignition wire. The electromagnetic shielding blocks the pickup from sensing the spark. You can use an old wire and cut away a portion of the shielding or you can use a piece of wire core spark plug wire with the ends trimmed off and shoved into the distributor and plug.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 14th, 2018, 9:51 am

Also, as George said above, if you are using a 12 volt timing light and hooking the ground to the body, you must hook the positive to the positive terminal of the grounded battery or you will supply 24 volts to the light and ruin it with the excess voltage.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 14th, 2018, 10:19 am

The safest way to get 12 volts out of a 24 volt system with two batteries is to just hook the leads to ONE battery. Positive and negative of the same battery and that way you can only get 12 volts, no guessing on grounds to the body. If you ground to the body and hit the wrong positive terminal you get 24 volts.

I assumed you already knew about the shielded wires not working with a timing light, just find any old plug wire and stick the ends in the cap and spark plug. It will work for timing the engine.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » July 14th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Thanks guys. I am using a wire lead to number one plug and have the timing lights connected to the earth side of the batteries and the positive side of the battery that is connected to earth sol I am getting twelve volts. Will follow up on George's suggestion but I had noticed it returns although I had not specifically checked it.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 15th, 2018, 1:49 am

kmam, I'd still very much like to hear you say that this truck has had a successful compression test.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 15th, 2018, 9:38 am

It is a brandy new, built from the ground up engine. Granted a compression test would be good but to go from running one minute to dead the next is not likely compression related.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed