WHINERS OUT THERE

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Spectre623
Corporal
Corporal

WHINERS OUT THERE

Unread post by Spectre623 » December 15th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Hey guys we have a bunch of MUTT whiners out there and I would like to know why. The whiners are A-1 diffs and some are A-2 diffs. I have tried both PN# and they both whine. What difference was suppose to make the 116 series A-2 diffs less of a whiner than the A-1 diff ?... Nice to have our own board :idea: ...Thanks Moose ,ya done good pilgrim !! Bill

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » December 16th, 2007, 11:05 am

Hey Bill: Where's the Gunship? I have not even driven my 151 yet so I couldn't even begin to compare the two. They say those bushing kits work well to quiet them down. Still have no idea. Hope I can report on how they work by late summer. Glad to see you over on the 838.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

whiners

Unread post by Fil Bonica » December 16th, 2007, 11:45 am

Whew! Am I glad to see that you guys were talking about diffs not people on the site.

Anyway, I have had both old style and 1100 series on my MUTTS over the years Sorry to say that there is little difference in them. Every time I open a crate and put a new one on it was with the hope that it would be the QUIET one. So far that wish has evaded me.
Looks like bushings may have to be the answer.

Got three 1100 series NOS units in the waiting to break my heart someday.

Fil Bonica

surpdlr
Corporal
Corporal

Re: WHINERS OUT THERE

Unread post by surpdlr » December 16th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Spectre623 wrote:Hey guys we have a bunch of MUTT whiners out there and I would like to know why. The whiners are A-1 diffs and some are A-2 diffs. I have tried both PN# and they both whine. What difference was suppose to make the 116 series A-2 diffs less of a whiner than the A-1 diff ?... Nice to have our own board :idea: ...Thanks Moose ,ya done good pilgrim !! Bill
I know this is from the WRONG LIST, but here is a lot of good info on the M151 Differential:

G503.com Message Forums - M151's Technical Knowledge Base: A differential curiosity

Click the link above for info.

Just an example of how multiple lists dilute the MV knowledge!! This has already been answerd on the G, several times and several ways!!!

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » December 16th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Thanks Jeff, interesting reading. Looks like no one has solved the problem.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 16th, 2007, 6:23 pm

I quieted my diffs down by cutting some squares out of a tractor tire inner tube and stacking them 3 or 4 deep. Not near as thick as the bushings that Frank's Surplus sells, yet they silenced my rear diff. I didn't have any bearing problems in my transfer case as Jeff said happens sometimes, as I had rebuilt my transmission/transfer case several years ago and put all new gears and bearings in. Putting a heavy rubber mat on the floor of the back of the M151 really helps dampen the vibrations also. The rear floor works almost like a speaker or sounding board and transforms a lot of the vibration from the rear end into noise and sends it right up into the cab. I can't imagine what riding in one with a hard top without bushings on the rear end sounds like. Must be plenty loud though.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Spectre623
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Spectre623 » December 16th, 2007, 6:33 pm

Hey Floyd, the old Gunship is waiting in the wings at Dobbins airbase, no pun intended. It is scheduled to be placed on display at the now being built, Marietta Air Museum. As for the whining diff on my 151, it IS mounted with the rubber pads between the diff and the mount....still whinnnns. I remember the looong dicussion on lubs and pads on the other board, but no one really addressed what makes the 116 pn# different from the A-1 diff. :lol: Bill
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is..

1963 Willys M-151

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » December 16th, 2007, 8:59 pm

Spectre623 wrote:Hey Floyd, the old Gunship is waiting in the wings at Dobbins airbase, no pun intended. It is scheduled to be placed on display at the now being built, Marietta Air Museum. As for the whining diff on my 151, it IS mounted with the rubber pads between the diff and the mount....still whinnnns. I remember the looong dicussion on lubs and pads on the other board, but no one really addressed what makes the 116 pn# different from the A-1 diff. :lol: Bill
Hey Spectre-
Are you running withy ROPS? I ask this because, although it sounds off base, since I removed all the "dead" weight from my A2 she's been running real quiet. I removed ROPS, a radio, and some other gear, and since doing so my A2's rear is real proud, unburdoned, and the rear diff is quieter than ever. I may be imagining things, I will give you that, but since the weight reduction I truly have noticed a difference in the whine.
Matt-
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

Spectre623
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Spectre623 » December 17th, 2007, 9:27 am

No ROPS Mr. Dibbles, it is bare bones 151 as you can see it on the picture forum. I have swapped out 2 1100 diffs lately and still end up with the standard " MUTT WHINE" :( Bill

1963 Willys M-151

surpdlr
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by surpdlr » December 17th, 2007, 10:51 am

Spectre623 wrote:No ROPS Mr. Dibbles, it is bare bones 151 as you can see it on the picture forum. I have swapped out 2 1100 diffs lately and still end up with the standard " MUTT WHINE" :( Bill
Check out my post near the end of page 2. It illiterates your exact situation!! While I am not saying it is the cause EVERY time, I have found more changes in rear end sound from changing the Transmission, then I ever have from changing the differential!!

G503.com Message Forums - M151's Technical Knowledge Base: A differential curiosity

Click the link above.

Spectre623
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Spectre623 » December 17th, 2007, 11:09 am

Thanks Jeff. You very well could be correct in what I eventually have to do to kill the noise. One point in my post was never answered though, and that is what "secret little part" in the A-2 diff is supposed to make it quiter than an A-1 diff ?
I have heard this fairy tale since I started building Mutts about 10-12 years ago and all I get when I ask the question is the deer in the headlights response. :lol: MUTT GURU do you know :?: Bill

1963 Willys M-151

Spectre623
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Spectre623 » June 9th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Well after changing the trans in my Mutt with a very low mileage one, I could really hear the whinning rear end. I bought a near new one from Fil Bonica (Nice Guy) and installed it this morn. The test drive went well and I must say I have the quitest MUTT I have ever owned. Thanks for all the advice. Great to be able to pick peoples brains on Mutt problems. Bill :D

1963 Willys M-151

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » June 9th, 2008, 1:10 pm

surpdlr wrote:
Spectre623 wrote:Hey guys we have a bunch of MUTT whiners out there and I would like to know why. The whiners are A-1 diffs and some are A-2 diffs. I have tried both PN# and they both whine. What difference was suppose to make the 116 series A-2 diffs less of a whiner than the A-1 diff ?... Nice to have our own board :idea: ...Thanks Moose ,ya done good pilgrim !! Bill
I know this is from the WRONG LIST, but here is a lot of good info on the M151 Differential:

Click the link above for info.

Just an example of how multiple lists dilute the MV knowledge!! This has already been answerd on the G, several times and several ways!!!
With all due respect,

You keep revisiting the topic of diluted knowledge.

First, several people were very disappointed with how they were treated at the G503. They left or had their membership revoked so they needed or wanted a new place to go.

People seem to like it here.

It's not that hard to check two sites.

People are going to ask questions without doing research. And often it will be the same questions over and over. Most people don't minding answering questions they've answered before. Beside sometimes new knowledge emerges, and some people are better at explaining things than others. People like to interact; otherwise all they would need is a good set of TM's. When someone that visits the board regularly has just finished working on some area of their M151 (that someone else is enquiring about) the details are fresh in their mind, they have just shopped around for the best prices and know a few tricks or can suggest doing the repair in a way so they can avoid a problem they had.

I like having two sites; I appreciate Moose's effort in creating such a friendly place.
As iron sharpens iron ...

Spectre623
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Spectre623 » June 9th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Hey Spike, I seemed to have missed your point...I was sending in a FINAL report on what I did to quiet down the whining noise my Mutt was making. Bill :?

1963 Willys M-151

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » June 9th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Sorry for the confusion Bill, I was responding "supdlr's" comment further up the thread. I'm glad you got it to quiet down. Report back in a few months and let us know if it is still as quiet. I've heard a few stories that they get noisier with time. I have poor hearing so they all sound the same to me. :wink:

Supdlr has been frustrated that another M151 site was started. He has expressed concern, a few times now, that it is diluting the knowledge base; by being spread out between sites.
supdlr wrote:Just an example of how multiple lists dilute the MV knowledge!! This has already been answerd on the G, several times and several ways!!!
I'm not scolding anyone, I know it's hard to tell what someones tone is on this board. My writing style comes across harsh sometimes. I'm just saying I think there was a real need for this site.
As iron sharpens iron ...