Beverly Hillbillies

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » February 6th, 2021, 6:46 pm

I also don't have dual fuel tanks on my suburban!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 6th, 2021, 7:31 pm

That's the super rare stretch suburban!!!!! I TOLD you Surveyor could find anything!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 17th, 2021, 1:01 am

The Polar Vortex is upon us and has been for a few days now. Snow. Most fellas up north wouldn't even blink at what we got here but the fact is, we are not set up for snow removal. A little ice, sure, but snow?....nope. Our little town has two lovely graders and more than a few front end loaders. They are safely locked away in the machinery shed doing absolutely nothing. That's how the ball bounces, but I must admit, I am getting frightfully tired of living through all these 'historic events' where we are left to fend for ourselves while our tax dollars are squandered on someone else. *sigh*

Speaking of historic events....I scored....again. I think some of you may recall my sudden fascination with die Facebook Marketplatz. I am not on Facebook...(nor will I ever be...for any reason) so I had my buddy contact quite a few people on quite a few things I would like to have had. As with unrequited love, nobody responded. NOBODY! This lowered my level of fascination considerably. Being sadder (but wiser) my lust for rust returned me to the old standby, Craigslist. Now, I will admit I don't know who Craig is, but I've had some pretty good luck with his list.

(Not this Craig)
download-2.jpg
I have been nipping around the edges of mitigating the looming problem of accelerated decrepitude by trying to maneuver into a position from which I might be able to continue to run with the big dogs in this hobby for far longer than my old bones would normally allow.

Most of you know I bought a gantry crane last year and some of you might even know I received a dandy electric hoist for Christmas (for the aforementioned gantry crane). I have chain-fall hoists out the wazoo, come-alongs, engine-hoists, load levelers, sheaves, a plethora of electric winches, a small army of chains and cables, and a jack for every purpose under the sun. I was even considering having a Tommy Lift or similar installed on Longfellow which seemed problematic owing to the fact that I pull a gooseneck with it.

But!

None of these items come even close to the utility a forklift would have to offer. So, I have been in the market for a user-quality forklift (uppity folk call them a Fork Truck) for some time. Being the greedy fellow I am, initially I began looking at Godzilla-sized rough terrain models which, quite frankly, were being offered at curiously low prices. Immediately suspicious I began to postulate that once you lay your money down for one of these giants, it becomes yours.... forever. Just the price of tires alone is staggering not to mention the problems one would be left with if the darned thing up and died. Not a good idea...nope.

So, I dialed it back a few notches. Maybe a small rough terrain forklift? Yes! YES, by Jove, that's it! But prices....STUPID HIGH! Everybody wants one. Why? Well, those little warehouse style forklifts not only don't do well off pavement, they don't do anything off pavement. They just sit there, helpless, like a great bloated whale laying on a beach.

But along the way of looking, investigating, comparing, I found not only was I looking at a lot of forklifts, I was also learning a thing or two along the way....including what NOT to buy and perhaps the most important thing which is, they are extraordinarily heavy for their size. By extraordinarily heavy" I really mean, "ridiculously heavy". And, rough terrain forklifts spread that weight out over more tire patch and more space, whereas compact warehouse forklifts do not make any attempt at spreading out. They are quite content to spend their lives on improved surfaces.

55301854.jpg
So, if you find yourself in the market for a forklift, a machine's weight (and where you intend to use it) are two very important pieces of information you MUST know before buying.

So, I took some time to do a reality check. My key goals?

1. Be able to lift heavy stuff (How heavy, is my brand of heavy? 3500#-ish, I reckon).
2. Equipped for rough terrain (would be nice but, in reality, probably financially just out of reach).
3. Inexpensive (wanted a unit that was already fully depreciated and I could reasonably expect it to be resold for what I had in it).
4. Close to home (always a big bonus).
5. Overall appearance (Can be ugly, but not missing any parts or have unreasonable damage; decrepit-looking machines are far less likely to get stolen).
6. Fully operational and ready to go to work the moment it arrives (because I don't need another project).
7. Preferably LP gas powered (no old fuel or rotting fuel tanks to deal with).
8. Compact unit (because space is at a premium around here).

Well, Dear Reader, the unit that checked every box showed up on Craigslist and perhaps more importantly, the seller actually responded and answered my inquiries. So, with high expectations, I grabbed my buddy by the ear, tossed him in the truck and we sallied forth, skirting road closures (the roads that were closed were actually the best of the lot which was rather maddening) and we generally took our sweet time and sashayed our way down to northeast San Antonio where we found an aged but very able little forklift for a very reasonable price.

Just as we all do when contemplating whether or not to lay down some cash for a machine, I looked for evidence of abuse and I looked for evidence that someone cared enough to fix what needed to be fixed, when it needed to be fixed. I found very little evidence of the former and a lot of evidence of the latter. Previous owners had dutifully kept after the mechanicals, paying not much attention to the aesthetics. This was a working man's rig, which suited me right down to the ground.

Fluids were all good (though the coolant looked rather skimpy on the glycol), it started without complaint, wasn't happy about doing much until it warmed up (which is the nature of some beasts), it stopped without complaint (new brakes and wheel cylinders!) with the inching pedal performing as it should. The mast went up, down and side to side just as it should. The 36" forks were true, without cracks and there were even fork extensions included as part of the deal. The ROPS was solid and undamaged with the rear warning light predictably absent, seat was reasonably presentable but not perfect, paint was a mess and might make a fun repaint project later on (maybe in military livery because, YES, the military did use this particular brand and model) tires were worn, yet tolerable, steering also tolerable, and the LP tank had been recently re-certified (that's a $100 value right there, by the way). The 2 year old battery checked out with my load tester and charging system checked out with the multimeter...both good. All the body panels were present and accounted for. Lift rated to 3500#-24" with some newish hydraulic hoses and only one hose that was begging to be replaced. New alternator, new distributor cap and rotor, new wires and plugs. What's not to love?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 17th, 2021, 1:11 pm

And here it is.
IMG_4921.jpeg
IMG_4929.jpeg
IMG_4932.jpeg
IMG_4928.jpeg
IMG_4930.jpeg
So...... let's see if any of you can identify what is clearly wrong on this rig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » February 17th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Paint job!!
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 17th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Ahhhh....

NO

That's the anti-theft paint job you're lookin' at right there.

Hint - it's a thing that's present....but out of place.

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » February 17th, 2021, 7:26 pm

The Fire Extinguisher bracket is empty! :roll:
dan-2beers-2_zps6d3a82dc.jpg
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 17th, 2021, 8:06 pm

I see a battery tray on the front body but I also see dry lifting chains and sliders!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 18th, 2021, 12:16 am

Yeah, the mast is going to need a careful cleaning and lubrication, especially around the carriage but, y'all are still missing it....

Use your automotive archeology skills! It's right in front of you! :)

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » February 18th, 2021, 12:35 am

The hose? by the chain?
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 18th, 2021, 2:16 am

Well, I was sure someone was going to get this. i know you guys are that good...but I suppose there's a lot to take in when you're looking at something unfamiliar.

Take a good look at the two parallel, vertical alignment rods behind the top of the hydraulic cylinder. Their purpose is to locate the hydraulic cylinder in the confines of the mast. Correctly located, right and left -and- forward and backward, the cylinder then remains in the very best alignment for a perfectly straight lift. Out of alignment, the machine is working harder than it has to and the cylinder is unnecessarily stressed which is hard on seals.

Now, if you look at the base of those rods you will see a sticker and two rusty silhouettes of where the aligning rods should be bolted in on the back side of the horizontal member. Somebody screwed up. Nothing fatal, mind you...but clearly out of place. I looked over this machine in great detail before I bought it and happily, that was the only glaring issue that I found.

IMG_4932.jpeg

Exactly WHY do I want a fork lift? Well...here's a couple thought-provoking photos.
0793055c29f012ec7989af196e72ad22.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Look at all the work that can be performed by a person working alone with the right machine.... and with little or no effort on the part of the operator! THAT is what I'm trying to achieve. I'm tired of working all day, knowing that by bedtime, I will be in a lot of pain for my efforts. Work smarter....not harder.
tech-tips-jeep.jpg

Would I have preferred a machine with a bit more ability, in the lifting and mobility departments? Sure. But the simple fact is, a machine like that is financially out of reach because there is a balancing point (That's a forklift joke, by the way.) between how much real use one gets out of a tool vs. how much money one has invested. Will I continue to search for a more capable unit at a giveaway price? I'd be crazy not to and gentlemen, those deals ARE out there to be had.

As an added bonus, there are an absolutely amazing number of attachments for forklifts out there. Attachments that, in our hobby, would make a great deal of sense to have. These little machines can do a LOT more than just lift things on pallets.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 18th, 2021, 10:14 am

You "DID" say it was in perfect shape mechanically. So really there was not reason for any of us to look for mechanical faults. Basically that was an unfair question. I still think you needed a Lull lift, That way you could reach over all the crap piled in the driveway to reach the stuff in the back and get it out.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 18th, 2021, 12:28 pm

The real question is what are you going to do with it for Halloween? :P
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 18th, 2021, 1:42 pm

OOH! Halloween! I hadn't thought about that....'cause it's snowing....again.

Ah well, by the middle of next week this will all be gone and people will begin to settle down.

The so-called news media has this weather pattern painted as some kind of Armageddon.

Those voices would be from the whiney little b------s who just moved here with the notion that they could reshape Texas into Nuevo California.

Fat chance. This is TEXAS and --it happens. We like it that way, 'cause it helps keep the riff-raff out.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 18th, 2021, 2:00 pm

You notice all the global warming experts have been REAL quiet?! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed