Paint problem/issue/question.

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Paint problem/issue/question.

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 24th, 2021, 3:11 pm

I am in the process of touching up the paint on my A2. It had been covered up for a handful of years, but things changed and I am now back up and running. I pretty well finished the mechanical issues and need to go over my paint job. I did it in 4 color grey desert. (It left duty in that pattern/color.)

I can easily find sand, flat black, and the field drab as required. My problem is the earth yellow--which I really need! The local "surplus store" carried Aervoe spray cans in most of the colors they offer that replicate military colors. They are out of earth yellow. When I spoke with the boss, he said they won't order any more until they are out.(Strange way of doing business, but whatever...)
I hit all the local paint shops---to include the two stores my kids manage!! No luck. (They deal with primarily house paints anyway.) I tried the local sporting goods stores---nothing. I even tried the local Hobby Lobby in their model paint section/. Testors does'nt even mention it.
Brownells has it according to the web, but their own website only shows green offered. Several other places offer it in an internet search, but no one actually has it in stock.

A local paint store said they can match the color, but mixing it in ultra flat would be a real bitch (her words).

Any ideas? I am not really relegated in having to use spray cans at this point- I have everything I need to spray it with a gun, but for no more than I need to actually apply, a rattle can would be plenty.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Paint problem/issue/question.

Unread post by Hambone » August 24th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Have you tried Rapco?, they have a lot of colors in aerosol.

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm

They don't list Earth Yellow..........and I had a much less than pleasurable experience with them a month ago regarding a thermostat housing.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » August 24th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Bill,

you should be able to get that color mixed by an auto paint supplier-manufacturer.
Earth Yellow uses the Federal Standard 595B paint code which is FS 30257. Any good company will have access to the FS and will know how to mix it for you.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 24th, 2021, 7:16 pm

I thought that exact same thing.

They all said matching that color is the easy part. It's the ultra-flat part that gives them grief. I was told by several shops a matte or satin finish was possible, but when they try to go to the ultra-flat (which according to them is different from plain ol' "flat") it makes everything problematic. Colors shift, uneven finish, etc.

I think, and it's only a hunch, they are dragging their collective feet for the relatively small amount I need. A half gallon would be plenty, but I imagine everyone's minimum is at least one gallon. One store told me a $200 minimum for "specialty" stuff.

I think I found some-----possibly at of all places---a panitball supply store nearby. I will find out in the morning.

And for anyone wanting to do a four color MERDC grey desert pattern--even though in my humble opinion it looks really good---- pick something else. Something without Earth Yellow. Arctic maybe.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » August 24th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Don't know the quality of the paint, I googled FS 30257, it's used a lot in the model/airbrush hobby.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » August 24th, 2021, 10:14 pm

If you still need paint let me know. We have a mix system in house. And, now I'm curious... :)

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 28th, 2021, 10:51 am

Update:
I found a few cans of Aervoe "Earth Yellow" at a surplus store on the other side of the state. I bought all they had of that color, and it should be here soon. At least I will have some to touch up my other stuff.

What a pain in the grommet!........

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 28th, 2021, 4:15 pm

All of the Aervoe yellow and tan I ever saw turned pink after a couple years. That is why I never used it even though a friend was a dealer at the time I needed paint.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 28th, 2021, 4:24 pm

You can also go with Fluid Film which is considerably cheaper than 3M and is most likely the same stuff. I have been using it for years to protect bare metal around the garage and I am going to start using it inside my frame rails on my vehicles. You can buy complete kits with wands, sprayers and extensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0lJDuCWFlA
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone