Transfer Box Seals

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Transfer Box Seals

Unread post by kmam » December 28th, 2021, 5:41 am

My transfer box is leaking so I intend pulling the engine to get a good look at the source of the leak(s) and replace the seals. I have TM 9-2320-218-34 but would appreciate any advice based on experience doing this job.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Re: Transfer Box Seals

Unread post by rickf » December 28th, 2021, 10:00 am

Beer, lots of beer. And keep the kids away due to foul language.
Just kidding, once it is out of the vehicle it is not all that bad. The original military seals can be a bear to get out since they are so wide in the hole. I have found that the easiest way is to just fold one side in with an old screwdriver and hammer. then it will come out much easier. If you use regular seal pullers you risk gouging the housing because the seals really hang on. The rear output seal is easy since the seal housing comes off and you can punch the seal out from the inside on the bench. The little tiny seal for the shift rod is the one that is a pain since it is too small to get hold of it from the outside.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Transfer Box Seals

Unread post by Hambone » December 28th, 2021, 8:07 pm

It's not bad, rear is easy, front seal will give you a little problem, not much room if you're doing with tranny still in the jeep. As Rick said, take a screwdriver or small chisel and relieve the seal from the outer edge, be careful not to damage the inside where the seal seats. Here is a pic of the front seal, you will see it takes a little effort. As for the wear sleeves, remove the yoke from the shaft, put the yoke in the freezer overnight, this will make pressing the sleeve on much easier. You can do this in a vise or press, I usually put a block of wood on top of the sleeve when I press them on, the sleeve does not have to be fully seated, just press them to the end of the yoke.
IMG_1218.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.