Activity

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Bonica
Sergeant
Sergeant

Activity

Unread post by Bonica » May 1st, 2022, 10:53 am

Given the level if activity on the 838 shouldnt the last user turn of the Server to save electricity!

Fil Bonicq

Refit1701
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Activity

Unread post by Refit1701 » May 1st, 2022, 1:05 pm

Maybe put it on a timer? It is disheartening.
-John
Dixie Division MVC/ MVPA member
1953 M37 Air Force w/o winch
1953 M37 USMC with winch!
1967 Pioneer Trailer
1962 M151 under restoration
1967 M416 trailer
1942 1.5 Chevy Ton Bomb Service Truck (sold to English collector)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 1st, 2022, 1:46 pm

Well, I could just shut it down altogether and save all kinds of money. This has been brought up several times in the past and the answers are always the same. All the forums are slow. This includes Facebook if you do not count one or two regulars, just like the 838.
Fil, your major contributions to activity have been trying to sell stuff. And when it comes down to someone looking to diagnose something lately your answer right off is to just replace it with new parts instead of taking the time to find the problem. Not really constructive activity in my opinion anyway. I was brought up to find the problem and replace parts only if the part was actually bad.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » May 1st, 2022, 3:43 pm

I don't think the solution is to close the forum!!
When there is a problem it is a very useful tool to find a solution, there are people here who know a lot and you get several answers in a short time. In other forums they spend days to get an answer and sometimes nobody responds, but here that does not happen.

Whenever I have a problem I turn to the forum, I'm sure I'm not the only one, but... thank God, there are not always problems!

The solution may be to give movement to other sections of the forum...

Refit1701
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Refit1701 » May 1st, 2022, 4:55 pm

I was thinking the Twitter thing is stealing eyes away from forums and Facebook. I mostly use FB for club stuff, not for diagnosing issues. Plus the economy, etc.
-John
Dixie Division MVC/ MVPA member
1953 M37 Air Force w/o winch
1953 M37 USMC with winch!
1967 Pioneer Trailer
1962 M151 under restoration
1967 M416 trailer
1942 1.5 Chevy Ton Bomb Service Truck (sold to English collector)

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » May 2nd, 2022, 2:19 am

quality over quantity...

when I see the nonsense sometimes posted on FB, I am happy that we have this forum with members I can trust.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

kwb
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by kwb » May 2nd, 2022, 9:44 am

I would hate to see this forum go away! a lot of 151 owners must have questions about problems with their vehicles or just want to share a repair trick with other owners. I noticed the number of views on each topic is always high so why don't they get involved? I personally like the fact that this forum is mostly 151 dedicated.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » May 3rd, 2022, 12:36 pm

Hello folks,
Here's my two-pennyworth for what it's worth.

There's a Star Trek episode from the '60's where there is some kind of storm which threatens Memory Alpha, the repository of all Federation knowledge.

Well, this isn't Star Trek but we do have our very own version of Memory Alpha, right here on the G838. It's the finest repository of all Mutt knowledge and it is truly the most accurate.

if you want to read fairy tales, guesswork and nonsense, then go along to the Facebook pages on the web. I visit FB occasionally if only to have a good laugh at FBs assembly of "experts".

Rick has said, many times, that the various topics of interest can be found here, in searchable order and in almost every case, verified for accuracy.

It doesn't have to be a FB vs G838 battle. Both sites serve different purposes. If you want idle banter and pictures where everyone says "Ooh, that's nice"...then Facebook could be the place. If you want accurate, accessible information on just about every aspect of our beloved mutts, you'll find it here.

Stay safe and well......
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Bonica
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Bonica » May 3rd, 2022, 8:08 pm

Bonica wrote:
May 3rd, 2022, 8:07 pm
Lets have some good discussions here along with it being s repository of good info.
I really miss the banter of the past.

Fil Bonica

Bonica
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Bonica » May 8th, 2022, 12:33 pm

Rick,
I have used the 838 to sell my products and it has been somewhat successful.
However I am being constantly amazed by the number of buyers out there that I have never heard of before.
The sale of parts has been gratifying.
Always thought the hobby was dying.
Not necessarily so.
Want to encourage that Silent Majority to participate and contribute
This is our future!
What can we do to see these people come here?

Fil Bonica

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » May 8th, 2022, 12:44 pm

The comradery part of the forum has seemed to have disappeared. :(

Bonica
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Bonica » May 8th, 2022, 1:47 pm

Top Tiger ,Bob Amon. Joe Sicenavage ,
Ralph Fuller
Et Al!
Where are you when we really need you!
Some are gone but not forgotten!

Fil Bonica

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 8th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Comradery as we knew it is long gone. If you try to joke around with people the way we did before you will end up "Offending" someone. Or several people. There are people out there who have an active campaign going to try to shut down the 838, And Fil, you know exactly who they are. I am not mentioning any names here. I also have a guy, several actually who have pretty much shut down my carb rebuilding business. Telling people how my work sucks even though they never had anything done by me. So they send everyone to Billy. Hey, more power to him. Pay him 100.00 more than me. The internet has done the same thing to the vehicle hobby as it has done to people in general. It has turned them against each other. I really miss the old times and the banter between the vets but the old vets are going away. Myself and Dan are the only ones active here anymore on a regular basis. Bob Amon fell off the face of the earth, I heard from his daughter he is doing well and she would have him contact me but he did not, I did not expect him to, I think he just wanted to disconnect from it all. Ralph Fuller and Toptiger are gone to a better place. Rainman decided he did not like people calling 151's Mutt's and left. That was what I was told anyway. I do know that really bothered him. Last but not least is Seabee, he is always good for a dig both coming and going but his health is not good and he has not been on for a while. The younger generation do not seem to want to joke around, they have very thin skin for the most part.
As far as offering professional advise on repairs. And this is all forums, not just this one, I cannot tell you how many times I have been told I am a know-it-all, your way or no way, You think you are a god, You think you know it all.
Well, I am none of the above nor do I think I am. I also do NOT know it and I never will be. I am always learning. And, unlike a lot of people, I will come right out and admit when I was mistaken. But with all of that said, I will not post replies on Facebook or Steel Soldiers for those very reasons.
I have been doing this for 50 years so I do know a lot about the mechanical side of vehicles and engines. Does not matter if it is a lawn mower or a tractor trailer, it is a mechanical piece of equipment and the principals are all the same.
OK, I am done with my rant but consider this, I am not the only person that goes through the insults and derogatory terms when they try to help. This is probably why you see less people helping out, especially less people who actually know what they are doing. I have had more than one person tell me they were going to drop off the forum for these reasons and so far I have talked them all into staying. So I know I am not the only one that feels the burn.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Bonica
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Bonica » May 8th, 2022, 4:23 pm

It was a fun ride and. I enjoyed it.
Wish it could continue.
Take Care All.
Stay Well.

Nuff said

Fil Bonica

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » May 8th, 2022, 5:26 pm

rick makes a whole lot of sense, in a very short time. people today do seem to have a very thin skin, often accompanied by a short fuse. most of you know that i am rarely here anymore, since i sold my only M151 over 8 years ago. i visit from time to time, because i wish i hadn't had to sell it. my expertise is very narrow, and not very deep, so i don't have much to offer, since so many here know so much more than i do. if someone has a question they think i can help with, i hope they feel free to send me a note. i have a very thick skin. goes along with being a nam vet, and a former MP. oddly enough, a whole lot of guys still hate me for doing the job over 50 years ago. oh well.