flashing not working

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

flashing not working

Unread post by rupert's » April 5th, 2023, 8:28 am

Hello friends! Today I have seen that the blinker on the right side does not work, the position light does, but the blinker does not.
These are the checks I've done:
-The bulb works fine, I have connected it to the battery and it works perfectly.
-The lamp holder connections have 24 volts intermittently. (normal in a blink) but when I put the blink it doesn't work.
-I have disconnected the blinker cable, I have put a cable inside it to test the bulb with this cable and with a screw to make it negative and the bulb does not turn on. At this point there is also 24v but the bulb does not turn on.
-I've tried other new bulbs and it doesn't work either.

I'm a bit puzzled, because there is 24v but the bulb doesn't work, maybe not enough current to turn it on but it seems weird.
Could it be M151 Solid State Flasher? I have put this black box new less than 2 years ago and this car has very little use, in hours the time of use of this device is ridiculous

The text has been translated with a translator, sorry if there are errors

A greeting and thanks for your help.

rickf
General
General

Re: flashing not working

Unread post by rickf » April 5th, 2023, 8:53 am

You did not mention if this was front or back but it sounds to me like you have a bad connection somewhere upstream from your light on the #460 front or 22-460 rear wire. You are getting voltage but the bad connection will not allow enough current to pass to light the bulb. If this is in the front there are very few connections between the flasher unit and the bulb but if it is in the back there are several plugs along the way. You need to check each plug and make sure it has good connection and it is clean, no corrosion. The flasher unit will be fine if it is working the other lights. Work your way back from the light checking each wire connection and also look for any damaged wiring. You are only looking at the #460 wire in the front and 22-460 wire in the rear if it is the right side. The rear you need to check the plug where the front harness plugs into the rear harness behind the dashboard for that plug but I would check the one under the rear back first if this is a rear light problem.

If you are using an LED test light then it will show a good connection even if there is corrosion that does not allow enough current to pass for the light. If you leave that test light or meter on the light and it shows good, then turn on the signal with the meter or test light is on there and I will bet that every time the light should come on the test light goes out or the meter drops. This will tell you that you have a voltage drop from a bad connection.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 5th, 2023, 10:35 am

Are the mounting bolts clean and well grounded? Remember, each one of those two bolts is a separate ground, so each of them must be clean and free of corrosion.

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » April 5th, 2023, 1:13 pm

Hello again, the right front, and the masses were checked and all are fine. The problem is in the flasher control, I have bridged connector A with G (460 with positive) and the light comes on.
The problem is inside the turn signal control, I have opened it and I am trying to find the problem. All the best

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » April 5th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Fixed!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 the little piece of the brown cable had to be bent a bit because it didn't make a good connection, and I also sanded a little where it made contact because it was a little burned from making the connection wrong.

I leave it here so that someone else who may have the same problem can see it. Greetings to all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » April 7th, 2023, 7:43 am

hi

i am reading this for the first time
nice work
george

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 7th, 2023, 9:29 am

A lot of the time you can fix these by just running the flasher handle back and fort quickly a dozen times or so. That cleans up the contacts. What you did was the more permanent way of fixing it though.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone